Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

My keyboard tray tried to kill me

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My keyboard tray tried to kill me
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-20, 14:56

I stand at the computer a lot. Because of the Nerve Neuropathy in my left hand for the last month, I can't lean any weight on it, as it could make it worse. So I've been raising my left knee up and resting it on the left side of the keyboard tray. Or at least I WAS, until it tried to kill me yesterday. One second I was minding my own business on the computer, the next second there's a loud CRACK and my ass is on the floor trying to figure out WTF just happened. The aftermath:

Epic fail.

Left side: It ripped the steel sliding mount right out of the SOLID WOOD frame of the desk structure.

Right side: The wood tray ripped off of the sliding mount, leaving chunks of wood behind on the bracket.

After removing what was left, the right side sliding mount (with one of the anchor brackets severely bent) is all that remains attached to the desk. I had to move my keyboard up to the main surface of the desk, which annoyingly forced me to move my mouse further to the right than I'm used to.

Unfortunately with the damage done to the wood frame on the left and the chunks ripped out of the right side of the actual tray, there's no way to reattach it. Good thing I'm planning on getting a new desk sometime this year...

Adding insult to injury, I have a nasty scrape/bruise/knot on my left shin where it struck the front edge of the tray during the collapse.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-03-20, 15:36

I'm sorry about your desk, but this gif was the first thing I thought of when I saw your pictures.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-20, 16:34

My first thought was the same scene!

Sucks when the stuff just gives out like that. Hope you find a good desk that fits your needs well.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-20, 19:17

Tough break, but I'm sure the keyboard tray was't designed to hold that much weight... so hardly and epic design fail.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-20, 19:20

I thought he was saying it was an epic common sense fail.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-27, 15:54

FUCK! Round two...

With the keyboard tray totaled, and still unable to put weight on my left hand, I had to improvise, and started bracing my right knee on one of those TV dinner trays that I keep by my desk for eating and piling random junk on. I'd been doing that since the keyboard tray FAIL, and since the TV tray is actually sitting on its own legs instead of weakly attached to a desk, I assumed I'd be fine.

Until just a few minutes ago, there was another loud CRACK and my ass is on the floor yet again, this time laying on top of the broken remnants of a TV tray.

Adding insult to injury, I had my iBook out here on my desk and was using it at the time, so it got yanked off the desk and hit the floor next to me. The hinge itself is fine, and SMART status on the hard drive is still fine (probably thanks to the drop sensor), but it broke the frame in the lower part of the lid, which is going to leave me with a who-knows-how-much repair bill to get the lid replaced. At least the screen itself is fine...

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-27, 16:58

um.

I really have nothing more to say. just um.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2012-03-27 at 16:59. Reason: um.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-27, 17:27

You are FIRED for this week.

Go away and think about what you've done.

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-27, 17:48

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-IBOOK-...#ht_2082wt_689

I guess $80 isn't bad, compared to what a repair shop would probably charge me, or $999 for the cheapest current Macbook...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-03-27, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
With the keyboard tray totaled, and still unable to put weight on my left hand, I had to improvise, and started bracing my right knee on one of those TV dinner trays that I keep by my desk for eating and piling random junk on. I'd been doing that since the keyboard tray FAIL, and since the TV tray is actually sitting on its own legs instead of weakly attached to a desk, I assumed I'd be fine.

Until just a few minutes ago, there was another loud CRACK and my ass is on the floor yet again, this time laying on top of the broken remnants of a TV tray.
Wait wait wait. You must be leaving out some crucial details here.

How exactly were you bracing your knee on this thing? Were you sitting in a desk chair with your leg propped up on the table? How much weight were you putting on it?

edit: Ah, I missed the part about standing. Yeah, that's your problem right there.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-27, 18:22

...and now I'm using another TV tray to lean on.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-27, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I'm sorry about your desk, but this gif was the first thing I thought of when I saw your pictures.

WAIT.

We can post animated gifs here? *obnoxious line-breaking jaw-dropping smiley*

I have a hunch AppleNova is about to get a little more animated. If you catch my drift.

Also, slower to load.

MUAHAHAHA

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2012-03-28 at 01:01. Reason: stupid autocorrect
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-03-27, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post

Lol me too. And by quoting your post I add another gif to slow down this thread...
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-03-28, 12:14

Hmm, I just happened to see some super neat-o GIF's today.