AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)
Page 2 of 13 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 17:41

I agree. And since Apple tends to add a big feature in every version without reducing any other features, App developers can simply specify, "Requires an iPad with Cameras," "Requires an iPad with a Retina Display," or "Requires an iPad with tactile feedback."

People are just as likely to know if they have a Retina Display as they are to know if they have an iPad 2 or an iPad 3, IMHO.

Edit:
Direct link to iPhoto for iOS
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iphoto/id497786065
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 17:42

GOT IT!!!

black, 16 GB Wi-Fi
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-07, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I can't help but think Steve would have throttled somebody for calling it "The New iPad". There's a reason you use numbers in your naming scheme. It's a terrible, terrible name. A year from now is it going to be "the new iPad 2"? Or "The new new iPad"? And then what will this one be, "The Old New iPad"?

Honestly I had hoped the Apple folks sans Jobs were competent enough to avoid this kind of ridiculousness. I was wrong! The iPad itself looks awesome. The name is just terrible.
This sort of naming isn't new for Apple, though. The iMac G4 was known as just "The new iMac" at launch. Every new iPod has just been known as the new iPod or iPod touch or iPod nano. They've never put numbers in those names. So I doubt Steve disapproved.

The addition of model numbers to product names is actually a fairly recent phenomenon for Apple, starting when Apple unexpectedly added "3G" to the name of the iPhone 3G. Which was actually the second iPhone, so they had to call the third iPhone the 3G...S. And then they had the iPhone 4, which made sense, but then they had the iPhone 4S, so we're either going to have a situation where the sixth iPhone is called the iPhone 5, or (more likely) they'll drop the number and just call it "The new iPhone."

Putting the model number in a name can get messy — it can lengthen the communicative name of the product and complicate things and paint you into a corner. People have a limited tolerance for numbers and abbreviations, and the iPad is already full of them — A5X! 4G! LTE! 1080p! — that we don't need any more, like "iPad 2S" or "iPad HD." It's better to just let the communicative name of the product be "iPad" — that's what matters — and let people know about the "newness" through advertising.

What worries me more is this weird tendency to see any change at all in Apple as Apple falling apart and making dumb mistakes since Steve's passing, even though in this instance the change isn't new and is really just aligning the iPad with all of Apple's other (non-iPhone) products. I'm not trying to call you out on it specifically, I've just seen it from several places, and it's weird, like it's considered that any change from Steve's Alleged Intention is automatically bad. Apple will continue to change, and that's good, because this is technology, and you either change or die.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 17:50

I think they didn't call it "iPad 3", because of the confusion with 3G and 4G. "Is it iPad 3G...iPad 3 3G...iPad 3 4G..."
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-07, 17:52

Order placed. 32GB LTE with dark cover and dock.

That "Delivers on March 16" put my mind at ease... I was worried (after reloading the store page about 9x) it was going to say "Ships in 3-4 weeks". In which case I wouldn't have ordered, instead contemplating another "wait in line" day.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 18:12

The people over at TWiT are absolutely obsessed with the lack of a "name". That's all they've been carrying on about all afternoon!

Good grief, people...let it go. It's an "iPad". Why in the hell are these people worrying about something that is at least a year away from ever being any sort of issue?

iPad is the new one. If you want to go cheaper, get the one that's labeled $399 (or has the A5 chip or 1024x768 display or whatever other common specs they'll use to describe it). Next year, when new models are out, they'll move today's new 16GB model down to that cheaper spot and anyone buying or who can halfway read should be able to easily differentiate between the offerings.

I like the lack of number or other suffix. The iMac and notebooks don't have them and I can tell them apart (maybe this is a cue to suggest everyone download MacTracker?)

In fact, I hope when September/October rolls around, the new iPhone is just that...iPhone. Especially since it's going to get confusing as hell with an iPhone 5 and iOS 6. It's gonna get ugly now that the iOS isn't neatly tied to the phone version as it was for four years. Number the OS (which is common and accepted galaxy wide), let the hardware just be (and use a reference, note a few important specs or use some common sense to tell them apart). I do it all the time.

Plus, "iPhone + iOS 6" doesn't tweak my OCD leanings like "iPhone 5 and iOS 6" would.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 18:17

Seriously, nobody gets their panties in a bunch when talking about "the new iMac".
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 18:19

They just call it iMac. Most assume you're talking about the current, latest one. If you're not, it's easy enough to clarify. I don't see the big uproar. Seriously, Leo and his monkeys have talked about this for at least three hours straight today. I didn't hear them talk once about iPhoto or anything that actually mattered.

I bailed and switched over to 5by5, where Dan Benjamin corralled a few regulars and other hosts from the network (I think I recognized Horace Dediu and Marco Arment's voices...which is just sad) to discuss the new release. They actually talked sales, numbers, specs, software, iOS 5.1, etc.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-07, 18:19

Remember when iPod sales dropped to near-zero because the new model wasn't called the iPod 2X+?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 18:22

Yeah, that's when I sold all my stock and bought a Toshiba Satellite 11venty77rx VXT122b-II
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-07, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The people over at TWiT are absolutely obsessed with the lack of a "name". That's all they've been carrying on about all afternoon!

They just don't understand Paul. This "lack of a name" is actually a feature! My iPad is called "Pad Ship 1".
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-07, 18:25

Quote:
Yeah, that's when I sold all my stock and bought a Toshiba Satellite 11venty77rx VXT122b-II
Pff. That one only has 1.97 Jiggawatts. Should've gotten the -II Extreme™.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 18:28

If I ever get an iPad I'm going to name it 39A.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 18:30

Hey, I know everyone's tingling over the new iPad but take note: Apple is now selling the refurb 16GB iPad 2 for $349! That's $70 less than the $419 they were going for yesterday. With the new iPad 2 now going for $399, I knew any refurbs would have to drop down well below that after today's announcement.

Here you go.

Take note: the refurb iPads from Apple come with new shells and battery, which are the very two things I'd most want on such a device. It should look nice, and you'll get a nice new battery too. That's a great deal. You'd pay $499 for a new one yesterday...there's $150 saved.

Quote:
All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell.
I was telling my sister to wait until today (she was interested in the 2), and it paid off.

Which leads me to a question...will this new iPhoto perform decently on the iPad 2? It's okay on my iPhone 4, but there is a bit of lag with certain functions. I know the new iPad has the newer chip and quad-core graphics, but how much of that is needed simply for the 4x pixel driving and iPhoto for iOS on a 1024x768 iPad wouldn't be nearly as demanding or taxing?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-07, 18:42

What interests me more than the iPad de-naming is that Apple is now branding the iPad's rear-facing camera as an iSight (the front-facing camera is still FaceTime).

This makes sense — the FaceTime camera shows your face, the iSight camera shows what you see — but it's interesting that it's yet another example of Apple ressurecting a name from their past in a new context, like SuperDrive and iBooks.

Apple's reasoning? I'm guessing it's to differentiate between the new iPad's "real" camera and the iPad 2's shitty throwaway one, in a way that doesn't rely on throwing out a bunch of numbers. With as much attention as Apple gives their cameras, with fancy lens assemblies and special ISPs, it makes sense to give them a brand, and iSight works as well as any. Apple is saying, "other devices may have 5MP cameras, but they don't have iSights."

I fully expect a much-improved iSight camera to be a marquee feature of the next iPod touch, and I'm sure they'll extend the branding to the new iPhone as well.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-07, 18:42

Pretty sure the fact Apple released iPhoto today means it should run on current devices. If it was a new iPad only feature why bother to push it out today?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 18:45

The current iPod Touch camera SUCKS. Stills are crap and the 720P video is even worse. I bought one in October 2010 because I wanted something with HD video capabilities, ended up using it once, shuddering at the results and returning it in favor of a Canon DSLR.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Pretty sure the fact Apple released iPhoto today means it should run on current devices. If it was a new iPad only feature why bother to push it out today?
No, I knew it would run on current devices. I was just wondering how well...if there was to be a significant hit.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 18:50

Quote:
I bailed and switched over to 5by5, where Dan Benjamin corralled a few regulars and other hosts from the network (I think I recognized Horace Dediu and Marco Arment's voices...which is just sad) to discuss the new release. They actually talked sales, numbers, specs, software, iOS 5.1, etc.
Never saw that website before, but it finally answered one question I have had for a long time about Faith on Buffy/Angel:

Quote:
Five by five is an old-school term defined as a signal that has excellent strength and perfect clarity – the most understandable signal possible. This phrase is still in use today and can be heard across many forms of media, including movies like Aliens and Mission: Impossible.
So that's what it means!
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-03-07, 18:58

I find it kind of odd that Siri didn't make it to the iPad...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-07, 19:14

Cancelled my original order. Decided to replace it with a Galaxy Tab.

Err, I meant 64GB iPad AT&T LTE
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I find it kind of odd that Siri didn't make it to the iPad...
Three theories on that, although I could be wrong on all of them...

1) I wonder if they're wanting to lay off it a bit while still in beta (although having it on a bunch of new iPads would've helped test/improve it more).

2) Or they didn't feel good about including it on a product line which, unlike the iPhone, half the lineup doesn't have Internet access at all times (although they could've made it a feature, like GPS, of the LTE models to encourage folks to step up?

3) Unlike an iPhone, which is in everyone's pocket or purse 24/7 - and easily taken out and quickly used with one hand - maybe they just don't imagine folks walking around and pulling an iPad out of their bag or sleeve to ask Siri something, having to fumble with it and use two hands to do so? And you know they don't picture people jogging around with one and dictating texts or to-do changes like you see in the iPhone 4s/Siri commericals.

I figure the reason lies among the above somewhere...one of them, or a little bit of all three?

People can be goobers (especially if they're new to such stuff and coming into it based only on what they see online or a commercial). Imagine the grief and hassle (and returns, exchanges or refunds) of dealing with people who, despite should having known better, go out and buy Wifi iPads without fully understanding how Siri works (it's not built-in and requires a connection) and then get all pissy when they're out and about and find they can't use it.

Apple wouldn't be able to run enough disclaimers and warnings about "Siri only available on the LTE iPad" to get through to many. They probably just don't want to deal with the headache.

Maybe they'll release it as a software update later on (part of iOS 6?) meant to install/run on only the LTE iPads? Maybe the LTE iPads have the needed hardware already onboard, dormant and simply waiting.

I don't know.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 19:26

(How I learned to stop complaining and embrace the incremental approach...)

What I've learned to love about Apple is that they don't blow their load on product iterations. Maybe they could've introduced Siri for iPad and the new haptic screen, but there are still millions of people that they're trying to get into the market and for those people, just the iPad alone is enough. They'll get current iPad owners (most of them anyway) on future product cycles. There's no need to show that technology now when the competition is so weak.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-07, 19:31

Delrium: you win the naming contest. Good thinking!

Eugene: No Siri but the Dictation app is pretty cool. Should help a lot with emails and any Pages work. Plan to get Pages, iMovie and iPhoto once I receive it. Or... maybe Siri eventually will be added during a big iOS update (iOS 6 later this year)?

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 19:35

Exactly. And, unlike some, they don't come across as so spec/buzzword-obsessed, catering toward the people who buy into all that over all else.

For the most part, Apple takes slow, stable and steady steps through its updates. Every once in a while they'll blow the roof off the joint with something truly amazing and unexpected. But, for the most part, they don't have to. And, frankly, that's tough to do. They can't blow their wad 2-3 times a year at every event. Sometimes an iPhone or new iMac is just a new iPhone or new iMac, and not really a gamechanger.

I prefer Apple's approach because look at all the half-baked, on-the-street-when-it-shouldn't-be stuff you see and hear about from others, who are simply in a race for "get 'em now!" sales and profits.

I think Apple realizes that quality and simplicity are the ways to attract, and keep, customers and loyal users. No sense beating them over the head, non-stop, with hyperbole and The Next Big Thing™ every time you turn around.

Reminds me of that filthy quote from "Colors", where Robert Duvall shares an important life lesson with the brash, impatient Sean Penn.

Feel free to look it up...I ain't gonna say it here.

addabox
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 20:35

I think "the new iPad" speaks to Apple's intentions for the platform. iPods and iPhones get the fun and iterative treatment (respectively)-- Classic, Nano, Shuffle for the iPod (and note that there is no primary iPod that the others take their name from, just a clutch of models) and 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, etc. for the iPhone, which makes sense since the phone market is so model driven.

The iPad is now in the same league as iMacs and PowerBooks-- it's just the latest version of the device, and it's up to us to differentiate (ala "unibody MacBooks", "cheese grate PowerMacs" etc). For our purposes this is clearly the HD iPad, but for Apple it's just the iPad. I predict that the only break with this naming convention going forward will be if there is a model released in tandem with "the" iPad that has some strongly differentiating characteristic, ala the MacBook Air. An iPad Pro, perhaps.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 20:45

...or mini.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 21:23

Randy Ubillos really did go to Antarctica, a few months ago (New Year's).

Tons of pics, and a few videos, here.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 22:45

I can't wait to get my new iPad

---sent from my old iPad
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-07, 22:55

I've been thinking about the fact that I dropped nearly $1000 on my iPad. My wife said "that's almost as much as a laptop." To which I responded "but I don't have a laptop". And that's it. My iPad is my laptop and does what a laptop excels at better than a laptop. Sure, I can't do everything as well on the iPad but I have an actual computer for those tasks. I don't think I will ever need another laptop.

When was the last time I actually even looked at the specs of a laptop? Hell if I know. I used to know the specs like the back of my hand. I think I'm probably not alone here. (This is probably an old line of thinking but I have had the first iPad since day 1 - I avoided the iPad 2 because I didn't want to be enticed - so this is the first time I had a chance to get excited about an iPad since using one for a long time.)