User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Some MacBook Questions...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Some MacBook Questions...
babelfishi

2006-07-12, 14:02

Few things I have been noticing about my new MacBook -- any suggestions to help?

- It easily get strange marks on the surface where you put your hand (keyboard, trackpad, etc.) -- I have no pens, or any other objects that can get my computer marked with black marks, but somehow I keep getting one or two small marks each week on the surface and I can't get it off. Anything useful to remove them? I believe they are some type of ink or something. (I do wash my hands)

- The LED light on the num lock key -- I notice the light sometimes barely light up, or flashing randomly when its activated. No problem w/ caps lock and no liquid spills.

- Somehow the battery doesn't fit in exactly well. It shifts around when I touch it -- normal? (Battery life is 3-4 hours)

They aren't big problems -- but they annoy do annoy me.

Can anyone help?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-07-12, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by babelfishi
- It easily get strange marks on the surface where you put your hand (keyboard, trackpad, etc.) -- I have no pens, or any other objects that can get my computer marked with black marks, but somehow I keep getting one or two small marks each week on the surface and I can't get it off. Anything useful to remove them? I believe they are some type of ink or something. (I do wash my hands)
Black marks are common on the aluminum machines, and are due to sweat pitting the metal. My PB had this on both sides REALLY badly until Apple replaced the aluminum for me when I sent it in for a DVD burner fix. I also had scratches there coming from my watch band, it wasn't a pretty sight. The pits can be prevented by washing your hands.

However, on the polycarbonate MacBook, I have no idea. Its not the yellow discoloration, is it? Apple will fix that for you. But black marks I have no idea. Its especially strange because it can't be from scratches, otherwise they wouldn't be black. Something must be marking the plastic.

Weird.

Upload pics?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
babelfishi

2006-07-12, 15:39

Not discoloration -- its just small spots of marks appearing every few days and they aren't eracable. I just found (fresh) one near the power cord, and I wiped it off easily with a cloth. But the other marks are still there...
Right now I have:
1 one the button
2 below the keys
1 next to the space bar
2 near the F5 keys

Grrr. They are really small (small black dots) and aren't noticable unless you look carefully, but still...grrr. (don't have a camara w/me right now)
EDIT: Hmm. One of the spots is bumpy...