User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iphone cases

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iphone cases
solinari6

2007-10-02, 10:55

So I was on a trip to San Fran this weekend, and my expensive Nokia n73 that I imported from Japan broke. The little joystick fell off and got lost. It turns out that joystick is used quite a bit, making using the phone pretty darn difficult.

So I noticed my hotel was only a couple blocks from the san fran Apple store, so I ran down there and bought my iphone!

But I'm not sure what kind of case I should get for it. The guy that was helping me didn't know either, just saying, well we got a bunch of these in recently, and I haven't heard if they are any good.

So, what I'm looking for, is something that will work well when storing my iphone in my front jeans pocket. So it can't add too much bulk. My initial thought was just to get one of those clear screen protector thingies, and that'd be it, but the guy at the apple store was telling me that 95% of iphone owners drop their iphone, so I should really get a real case for it.

So I don't know what to do. Suggestions?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-02, 11:03

I really don't see the point of these cases. Most of them are hideously ugly, and any case will add bulk. Especially for carrying it in your pocket, you don't want to add any additional size (also, you really shouldn't be carrying a phone so close to your crown jewels ...). Screen protectors will also start to peel very quickly, and are really not necessary for the iPhone (that's why they use glass!).

I also doubt that these cases do much when you drop your phone. Go read Ars Technica's review and story of brutal iPhone abuse, and then relax and enjoy your pretty phone without an ugly case.
solinari6

2007-10-02, 11:52

Well I noticed mine already has some scratches on the back of it, just by having it in my front pocket for a 1/2 day. That's got me kind of depressed
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-10-02, 12:24

well I have a Elan Snap-In which I really like it doesn't add too much bulk to the phone and has a more business look & feel to it. I'm pretty careful with my things so I have not dropped the phone yet, I'm sure this case doesn't offer the most protection but if your not too active it does the job.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elansnapin/
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-10-02, 12:38

The only part of the phone that I'd want to really protect would be the black plastic part with the speaker grill holes, and that's the very place something could mess with the docking of the device.
shatteringglass

2007-10-02, 13:18

In my experience, cases do more harm than good for the iPhone, especially the more rigid ones. Those cause debris in the gap between the case and phone to rub against the iPhone, creating more scratches than if it was unprotected in your pocket.

That said, I use the slipcase that came with my 5G iPod to carry my iPhone.
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-10-02, 17:03

To be honest if you are that concerned with scratching the phone, that you have to worry about debris and dust particles maybe you shouldn't have one. It is a phone and should be treated like one not a work of art hanging in the Louvre
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-10-03, 09:55

I too am looking for a case, but not to protect against scratches. Am I the only one that thinks a bit of wear improves the aesthetics? Kind of like a pair of shoes not looking their best until a little broken in.

So what do I need a case for? Better grip. Oh wait, rubber traction tape might work well enough. (honestly just thought of that) I'm sure they sell overpriced iPhone specific traction pads somewhere too.