User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Aperture 2 to iPhoto Yosemite, am I screwed?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Aperture 2 to iPhoto Yosemite, am I screwed?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-10-26, 20:47

I've been using Aperture 2 for years. Went to open my library today and realized I can't open that app with Yosemite. I never really needed all of Aperture so I'd like to just get those photos into iPhoto. Any way to do this that won't lose metadata and existing modifications?

Do I have to bite the bullet and buy Aperture 3, that way I'm ready for whatever this new Photos app is next year?

Last edited by Ryan : 2014-10-26 at 20:58.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-26, 22:16

Bummer that it is (spending $79 for something that will be gone soon), that might be your safest bet? That way you can be sure all that important work stays (it may not make the trip down to a lower-spec'd, less-robust application like iPhoto...and then you'd be out all that work).

And Aperture 3 surely won't just up and die once Photos is released (it's just not going to be developed or improved any further), but you could keep using it into 2015 as long as you wanted (which, considering Apple's run here lately, you may want to do because that very first version of Photos is probably going to be all buggy and "less than" anyway). I'll probably stick with iPhoto for at least a few weeks, to make sure it's not a photo-eating, glitch-ridden disaster.

So, yeah...if it were me, I'd probably go ahead and pay for the sure thing (Aperture 3), enjoy using it through the holidays and into next year, until the word on Photos is good enough that you can transition to it with confidence sometime in 2015.

That's what I'd do, unless you can get a straight, firm answer from Apple that going from Aperture 2 to iPhoto won't mess anything up. I'd post this question in their support forums.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-10-26, 23:20

I don't think it is possible for iPhoto (current version) to read Aperture 2 Libraries, so yes I think you will need to upgrade to Aperture 3 in order to modernized the library so that it can be transferred to iPhoto and later the "Photos" app if that meets your needs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-27, 00:02

I'd just keep it in Aperture 3 and go directly from that to Photos...that's allowed, right? Or did I miss something in all this? I know Photos is replacing both iPhoto and Aperture, but I wasn't aware that you had to migrate from iPhoto to Photos. All the people who have, and use, Aperture aren't going to take that extra step...they'll just go directly to Photos, right?

I wish Apple would release more info on Photos. We just got that little taste/peek at WWDC, and pretty much nothing since. I thought they would've talked a little about it at this most recent event (since it was somewhat Mac-oriented).

I wonder if Photos will be free? I know it'll come built-in to new Macs (just like iLife always was), but for people not buying new hardware, will Photos be free (like the current - and last - version of iPhoto), or will they charge $9.99-14.99 for it? The fact that it's also replacing Aperture must mean it has some higher-end, heavy-duty capabilities...I could see Apple charging for it (which might be why they made iPhoto free, so everyone can at least have something to use, going into 2015, for their photos). And if you don't want to pay for Photos, you can at least continue using the free (but no-longer-developed) iPhoto if you wanted.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-10-27, 00:44

Thanks guys. For $80 it just wasn't worth screwing around. Bought and downloaded.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-27, 08:56

I can't see them charging for the new Photos app. Just doesn't seem in line with their recent way of thinking.

I'd really like to see more info on this as well. I'm still running Aperture just fine on my iMac, but I really want to know how this is going to look going forward.

I'm hoping that there is a beta soon so that we at least know some more about it. I'll more than likely download it immediately, but I'm stupid like that. :-)

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.