Tim Cook Speaks Up

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tim Cook Speaks Up
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-10-30, 08:57

http://mobile.businessweek.com/artic...roud-to-be-gay

I've been critical of Tim but I do have to say it is remarkable to have a man with such genuine morals and passion for the greater good in charge of the worlds most profitable company. In more ways than anyone else he has the power to create change and he knows it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-30, 09:00

I admire the man for doing it. He seems like such a private guy, but giving up this bit of privacy that he maintained for all this time will do wonders for our society as a whole.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-10-30, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
it is remarkable to have a man with such genuine morals and passion for the greater good in charge of the worlds most profitable company
Yep.

See also.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-10-30, 18:55

Well, duh. #finally

Still, good on him for confirming what everyone already knew.

I see a lot of people at work who think Apple is "gay," or somehow intrinsically un-masculine. Addabox once said something that made a lot of sense to me, which is that Apple products are differentiated by attentiveness and attention paid to traditionally feminine values—intuitiveness, beauty, elegance—and a guy embodying feminine values is, of course, a faggot. This is why the "Droid Does" campaign looked the way it did, this is why the stereotype of Macs being for "artsy types" has persisted, and this is why there's often that weird undercurrent of homophobia in Apple-user-bashing ("fanbois" who "have Steve's sick stuck up their ass," &c.). (I don't think it's a coincidence that bros always have Samsungs—as a straight bro in America the worst thing that could possibly happen to you is that somebody somewhere could think you are gay, so you have to wear Axe and drink Mountain Dew and have your bro-ness constantly reaffirmed by your possessions.) So I do give Cook props for coming out, given the downsides of Apple already having this sort of image.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2014-10-30 at 19:18.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-30, 21:54

Along similar lines there was that whole "white is a feminine color" thing and "only women buy the white iPhone/iPad".
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-10-31, 00:29

Wow I must be messed up, I love white and I'm straight. Then again I've never gotten off on the "man's man" crap either, so what do I know?

As for Cook, it's always nice when someone is honest about where they stand in life. I know some people were "surprised" but I just thought it was common knowledge that he was gay.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-10-31, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Well, duh. #finally

Still, good on him for confirming what everyone already knew.

I see a lot of people at work who think Apple is "gay," or somehow intrinsically un-masculine. Addabox once said something that made a lot of sense to me, which is that Apple products are differentiated by attentiveness and attention paid to traditionally feminine values—intuitiveness, beauty, elegance—and a guy embodying feminine values is, of course, a faggot. This is why the "Droid Does" campaign looked the way it did, this is why the stereotype of Macs being for "artsy types" has persisted, and this is why there's often that weird undercurrent of homophobia in Apple-user-bashing ("fanbois" who "have Steve's dick stuck up their ass," &c.). (I don't think it's a coincidence that bros always have Samsungs—as a straight bro in America the worst thing that could possibly happen to you is that somebody somewhere could think you are gay, so you have to wear Axe and drink Mountain Dew and have your bro-ness constantly reaffirmed by your possessions.) So I do give Cook props for coming out, given the downsides of Apple already having this sort of image.
This.

But good on him not just for confirming it, but for confirming it in the manner he did. This wasn't your regular coming out. This was "I'm gay, and I'm better because of it." This is one of, if not the most, positive and forward ways I've seen someone come out. Even if it really isn't coming out so much as confirming what the universe already knew.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2014-10-31, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
But good on him not just for confirming it, but for confirming it in the manner he did. This wasn't your regular coming out. This was "I'm gay, and I'm better because of it." This is one of, if not the most, positive and forward ways I've seen someone come out.
This, this, this. I feel like October's been a good month for me - Laverne Cox spoke at my college about transitioning and authenticity and being a public example, and now Tim Cook is stepping out publicly with the same goal of being an aspirational public figure. I think this kind of positivity is a great thing for confused young kids and teenagers who are scared and in denial - because I remember being that kid. And perhaps it will assist in the mainstream becoming more comfortable as well.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-10-31, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
This, this, this. I feel like October's been a good month for me - Laverne Cox spoke at my college about transitioning and authenticity and being a public example, and now Tim Cook is stepping out publicly with the same goal of being an aspirational public figure. I think this kind of positivity is a great thing for confused young kids and teenagers who are scared and in denial - because I remember being that kid. And perhaps it will assist in the mainstream becoming more comfortable as well.
Someone like Cook coming out is also good for parents of those scared, confused kids.

As soon as I read the news yesterday, I told my wife. My son (7) also happened to hear and we all discussed what it means to "come out" and how great it was that Cook said what he said how he said it.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-11-02, 17:23

One of the important things about Tim Cook doing this is that I think a lot of people regard him as a highly trustworthy person. I certainly do so, and in a business where people and companies often make big claims about how awesome their new thing/product is, my impression of Tim is that he never gets into hyperbole territory. Well, maybe, but it's not really hyperbole when your company actually delivers on those claims.

There are many colourful people speaking up for equal rights who get a lot of attention, but I think that Tim's words might count for much more because nobody can question his seriousness or professional conduct.