Aperture is Dead

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Aperture is Dead
Page 4 of 4 Previous 1 2 3 [4]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-02-06, 15:19

So *IF* I were wanting to install Photos where would I go about doing this? I'm feeling lazy about Googling it admittedly.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2015-02-06, 17:10

You need to have a developer/beta build of OS X 10.10.3.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-02-06, 17:41

I had a hard time finding it on the developer page before realizing that it was built into the latest beta build. Guess it's more built into OS X than I thought.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-02-06, 20:46

Oh, well I'm not going to pay for Mac App developer program on top of my iOS Dev too. I'll let you guys tell me how much I hate it compared to Aperture.

From what I'm gathering though, if I were some one more like my wife who has a P&S and takes batches of kid photos in jpeg it's great. Is that about right?

I'm the guy who shoots in Canon RAW.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2015-02-07, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I had a hard time finding it on the developer page before realizing that it was built into the latest beta build. Guess it's more built into OS X than I thought.
Well, it's "just an app", but it'll clearly ship as part of future OS X versions, much like, say, Messages or Safari.

Also, you can get it through the AppleSeed program as well, not just through ADC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Oh, well I'm not going to pay for Mac App developer program on top of my iOS Dev too.
The iOS program includes OS X betas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
From what I'm gathering though, if I were some one more like my wife who has a P&S and takes batches of kid photos in jpeg it's great. Is that about right?

I'm the guy who shoots in Canon RAW.
Nah, you're the guy who sounds like he needs to take a chill pill.

So far, it's been quite unstable for me, but that's okay, being a beta and all. The UI seems to scale quite a bit; it starts off very easy but goes into some fairly advanced adjustments. It doesn't quite seem to match Aperture, though.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2015-03-03, 18:50

I have access to the 10.10.3 beta, but I haven't installed yet. Chucker, can you tell me if you have to convert your library or anything like that to use it with Photos? I don't want to render my current library unusable by Aperture just so I can try Photos.

I'm very interested in trying Photos, but I know that it won't be able to replace Aperture for me right now. I'm among those who doesn't care for Lightroom, so I'm really hoping that this is a FCPX or iWork situation where they add features over time and make Photos a true Aperture replacement.

Silly me, I was initially hoping for lens profiles, but we couldn't even get geotagging. I know it's a beta, but that feature has been in iPhoto for years, seems like it shouldn't have been much trouble to migrate it over. I'm excited to see what Photos is like, I'm holding out high hopes for it.

Come waste your time with me
kelly088

2015-03-04, 21:35

Awesome.Thanks a lot !!!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-03-05, 13:25

Well, you don't get much more official than an email from Apple:

I've been playing with Photos but it just doesn't seem to be what would work for me. Maybe it would if I found the hidden menu options or something like that. I'm not writing it off yet, just not thrilled with the lack of Aperture going forward. At this point my plan is to use Aperture until Photos has matured or worst case would be I switch to Lightroom. Yuk.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2015-03-10, 12:20

I'm sticking with Aperture for now, not going to try Photos. I don't want anything going wrong with my very large and very old library. My hope is that features are added before the official launch and over time like they did with FCPX. However, I really wish Apple would stop releasing half-baked software while telling us to be happy to have what we have. Fully develop your software, then release it. I'm much happier waiting for a finished application than I am getting a new one in my hands that either doesn't work or doesn't do what I need it to do.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2015-03-10, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
I'm sticking with Aperture for now, not going to try Photos. I don't want anything going wrong with my very large and very old library. My hope is that features are added before the official launch and over time like they did with FCPX. However, I really wish Apple would stop releasing half-baked software while telling us to be happy to have what we have. Fully develop your software, then release it. I'm much happier waiting for a finished application than I am getting a new one in my hands that either doesn't work or doesn't do what I need it to do.
Apple releases 'half baked' software early for feedback and direction. It's the new normal for software production.

I think if you keep using Aperture and wait a year for Photos to mature, you'll be happy.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-03-10, 14:51

I"m having fun with Photos right now. The second release is much better than the first one.

It's nice having everything in iCloud.

I just wish there was an option to regulate how much space on my iPhone to dedicate to Photos. It takes up a crap ton of space having my entire library on there.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2015-03-13, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Apple releases 'half baked' software early for feedback and direction. It's the new normal for software production.

I think if you keep using Aperture and wait a year for Photos to mature, you'll be happy.
This wasn't always the norm, at least not to this degree. The current, and unfortunate trend, seems to have begun with the release of FCPX. I think "half-baked" is being too kind. I was expecting as much from Photos, so I was prepared to continue using Aperture. Hopefully they move quickly on adding features because Aperture is quite long in the tooth as it is.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-10-31, 02:09

^bump^

So.... what's up with all of this?

How is Lightroom these days?

What about Photos?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-10-31, 09:55

I still don't have my head fully around Photos, in its organization/layout. True to (recent) form, it's nowhere near as simple, intuitive and straight-forward as the thing it replaced. I suppose, in another two or so years, they'll get it "dialed in" (and reasonably close to iPhoto ease-of-use/functionality).

I'm detecting a pattern here...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2015-10-31, 11:37

drew Lightroom 6 is a mess right now. Thankfully I have not upgraded past 2015 version 1.1, because the current version because it is a cluster of bugs and a dumbed down import system that just doesn't work for anyone with an advanced workflow. Not that Lightroom has ever been a great program IMO, but since the loss of Aperture I've yet to find anything that is closer to the abilities there of.

Photos, just is not an option for anyone who wants to do anything beyond basic editing, or Instagram style filter adding. It's simply iPhoto with a new, and IMO less intuitive, skin. To sum it up, if you didn't find iPhoto good enough, Photos won't change your mind.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-10-31, 16:12

We need a new third-party alternative.

Or for Apple to develop Photos into something that also works at the pro level.

I am not all that confident that either of those things are coming anytime soon. In the meantime, I continue to use Aperture. It is not longer being developed, but it works fine.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-10-31, 16:21

I've been using Photos all summer with iCloud Photo Library and it's been awesome. It's really nice to have all of my pictures on all of my devices, almost instantaneously.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-10-31, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I've been using Photos all summer with iCloud Photo Library and it's been awesome. It's really nice to have all of my pictures on all of my devices, almost instantaneously.
That part is very nice and works extremely well.

Everything else is mediocre at best. Especially organization. It's far from a photo management solution... more of a photo archive.

apple is also going to have to increase iCloud storage options while reducing pricing. I'm getting close to maxed out.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-11-01, 15:45

What is the file structure like in Lightroom?

In Aperture I can control my files and folders and their locations.

Mine folder structure is something like this:

Aperture Library > 2010 > 2010-02-18 > examplephoto_001.jpg

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2015-11-01, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Aperture Library > 2010 > 2010-02-18 > examplephoto_001.jpg...
That is what I have in Picasa. Good for organization, not for editing.

I used iView Media (???) yeeears ago and I think it morphed into this app: https://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-.../Features.aspx Looks cool. Anyone use it?

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2015-11-01, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
What is the file structure like in Lightroom?

In Aperture I can control my files and folders and their locations.

Mine folder structure is something like this:

Aperture Library > 2010 > 2010-02-18 > examplephoto_001.jpg

Lightroom has the same options as Aperture. The names for the options are different, but they do the same thing. You can store the images where they are, or store them in the catalog (Adobe's name for Library).