User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iTunes Problems Globally

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes Problems Globally
skyranch

2005-09-08, 05:16

Folks - Although I live in France, I want to register and select iTunes from the English-language site offered by Apple. But the Apple registration system so far has prevented me from accomplishing this registration/payment task because my credit cards have a French billing address. Anyone know any ways around this glitch? And, if one does register on the French-language page, does that mean one can only download tunes from the French-language site? Thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-08, 07:08

No, this is not a glitch; this is a restriction imposed by the music industry executives. You must have a banking address in the country of your choice in order to purchase from that country's iTunes Music Store. It's done to restrict access to certain artists and to lock in prices without having to deal with fluctuating exchange rates.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
skyranch

2005-09-08, 07:09

Folks - Does anyone out there know how someone registered with iTunes in France, for instance, can use their account to purchase iTunes that are available only on the iTunes USA site? There are many, many songs I'd like to download that the French iTunes site fails to list or make available, though they are listed and available for puchase on the USA site. What gives with Apple here? Thanks
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-09-08, 07:14

You would have to re-register with the iTMS USA site using a credit card which sends its bills to an USA address. iTMS purchasing is restricted to the country where you receive your credit card bill.
skyranch

2005-09-08, 07:16

Yikes! Second question, if you can spare a moment. Do you know if an iPod originally formatted to work in conjunction with an Apple computer can be formatted to download via Microsoft software and retain the ability to download on both formats? Thanks. This is all so new to me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-08, 07:17

Also, please don't post in multiple locations. It fractures the discussion and the answers to your questions. I'm merging the two thread back together here.
skyranch

2005-09-08, 07:21

Oops, sorry about that.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-08, 07:42

So - I haven't registered in a while obviously, but can you sidestep it by choosing Paypal as a payment method? Just a thought.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-09-08, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Also, please don't post in multiple locations. It fractures the discussion and the answers to your questions. I'm merging the two thread back together here.
Phew, I thought I had lost it there for a second.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2005-09-08, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
No, this is not a glitch; this is a restriction imposed by the music industry executives.
<rant>
And it is incredibly annoying. At some level I can understand that they only have deals to distribute a given artist in a given country, but damnit, it's pissing me off. Theres stuff I want badly on iTMS, but I can't buy it because some retarded music exec cannot understand that giving iTMS full rights to distribute his music anywhere in the world means more sales and more profit...
If it wasn't for the piracy of the early hard-core anime fans in the US, ADV, Tokyopop et al would not exist today. In the olden days, DJs found good unknown music themselves, why can't we do that today? Do we have to be spoon-fed what the record labels want us to hear?
</rant>

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
So - I haven't registered in a while obviously, but can you sidestep it by choosing Paypal as a payment method? Just a thought.
Tried that, doesn't work. After completing the PayPal side of things you are politely told to FO because the country associated with your PayPal account does not match the country of the iTMS you are trying to register at...

Maybe someone could set up a iTMS "proxy" that charges like 10% extra for tracks, but allows you to buy from outside your country... Probably violates their terms of service though.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 16:27

Although it's doubtful that Apple will ever allow Europeans to purchase music from the US iTunes Music Store, I believe it will be only a matter of time before it is forced to allow customers in Europe to buy from any European store. Any restriction on free trade between EU Member States is looked upon very dimly indeed by the ECJ and the ECJ has historically accepted a very liberal definition of what constitutes a restriction on free trade.

In the meantime, I am not aware of any solution to your problem, but please pester Apple about it!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-09-08, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
In the meantime, I am not aware of any solution to your problem, but please pester Apple about it!
Please don't. It's not Apple's decision, it's the music industry's. If you have a problem with it, pester them, not Apple.