User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Flipboard
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-19, 10:06

Flipboard has become my wife and my favorite iPad app, but getting it just right is driving me crazy. I'm curious how you use your Flipboard, what your favorite channels are, what tips and tricks you would recommend. Let's create the ultimate Flipboard guide!

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-03-19, 17:39

Hi jdcfsu - Whilst I don't own an iPad, I offer the following, albeit on a slight tangent.

Speaking from an iPhone only perspective, I recently tried to assess my mobile reading/news feeds needs and put the following through their paces: Flipboard, Pulse, Mobile RSS, Read It Later (never?) and Zite.

In the end, I opted for Zite. The things that won me over we're the clean interface and the curation/suggestion of interesting articles based on my Twitter, Google Reader and Read It Later feeds and what others in these feeds were liking. It also learns what you like via a simple thumbs up/down option at the bottom of each article.

My sections are:
Psychology & Mind
Mac News
Web Design & User Experience
Usability
iPhone

I find myself gravitating to it moreso than my Twitter feed and Google Reader feeds directly these days.

Also, since Google Reader killed their "Note in Reader" bookmarklet, I have pretty much given up on it. I was using that feature to turn GR into a handy bookmarking service, but now I hardly visit or post updates to it.

Anyway, not sure if Zite is available on the iPad but I certainly enjoy that app.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-19, 17:46

Flipboard is one of my favorite "it's Sunday morning and by some miracle, you're up before the kids. And the coffee is brewed. And you're not crabby" apps. Since that happens rarely, I haven't had a chance to make it perfect. It has potential. Looking forward to more replies.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-19, 18:03

I hate Facebook and only barely use Twitter. I do follow a handful of RSS feeds and for this I use Google Reader to subscribe to them.

So I use Flipboard to look through the feeds and they work great. I don't subscribe to anything that is populated by something other than me. I read through it most nights as it's comfortable and easy to go through the articles.

Also for Facebook and Twitter it makes going through my friend's feeds that I don't have to worry about ever actually logging into them.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2012-03-20, 07:49

Flipboard has become my go to time waster app.

I used to just go through Twitter, FB, and Reeder, but having them all in one quick place makes it easy to glance through real quick on my iPhone.

Definitely a home screen lock for sure.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.