Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!
Page 10 of 13 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  Next Thread Tools
dude

2007-02-27, 14:42

^-- Paste here what you used for your locale.
AssetBurned

2007-02-27, 19:58

That list which i got after entering locale -a ?
That is longer than 200 lines!

by just entering locale i got this
Quote:
LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_ALL="C"
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-02-27, 20:01

For German, the following will probably work as you intend, causing the volume to be mounted under the German locale:
Code:
echo 'de_DE' > /Volumes/MyNTFSDrive/.ntfs-locale
Hopefully that helps...
AssetBurned

2007-02-27, 20:54

*smile* i just found your posting at page 4 of this topic (last posting on that page).

I tried all the de_DE settings I found. And now is see why.... there is a - missing in the .ntfs-locale file name, in that posting.

Thanks a lot! With the right file name it is working now!

correction:

now i'm able to see the files and i'm also able to access directorys with äöü in the name.
But the finder doesn't allows me to copy the directory or files with äöü in the name.
even more strange is that the preview of those files doesn't work.

i copied a MP3 on a windows computer to the harddisk and renamed one of this clones to üöä.mp3 this file will open in iTunes but doesn't allows me to play it in the preview. The same file as uoa.mp3 works fine, even with a preview.

Last edited by AssetBurned : 2007-02-27 at 20:54. Reason: Posts merged
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-02-27, 21:35

Yeah, the old versions did specify .ntfslocale, but I changed the naming scheme to be more consistent (and readable), so it's now .ntfs-locale.

I have no idea what would cause the Finder problems though. I'm no expert on character encodings, so you might want to look elsewhere (NTFS-3g or MacFUSE) for more details on that. I just provided a hack to make it automatically mount with a locale setting.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
solgae

2007-02-27, 22:44

Hi, I just come across this fabulous tool and apart from somewhat slow transfer speeds, I really enjoyed not needing to boot to windows to modify files......

.......until I tried with the files with korean names

I used 'ko_KR' on .ntfs-locale to mount my vista bootcamp partition and my usb external NTFS drive. It seems like Finder is acting like the files with the korean filename aren't even there. The file is present and I can see them, but I can't move, copy, delete, or open the file (or whatever file operation you can imagine) in any way. How do I fix this? The 'ko_KR' and 'ko_KR.UTF-8' are the only locales that work for me - at least it shows that the file is there, just that I can't do anything with them.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-02-28, 00:15

I have no idea where the international character problems are originating. I don't know if it's a MacFUSE or NTFS-3G problem. We're telling NTFS-3G to mount with a given locale, so my best guess is that something inside MacFUSE isn't entirely Unicode-friendly as the Finder might expect.

That's just a guess, and by no means an accusation. Unfortunately, I can't help.

solgae

2007-02-28, 00:36

Well I recall being able to work with the international filename files with the earlier versions. Not sure if it's from MacFUSE or NTFS-3G or the MacFUSE tools. I used MacFUSE Core 0.21, MacFUSE tools 0.17 r1, and NTFS-3G 02/07/07 build. I was able to work with them just fine with those versions.
BSD

2007-02-28, 00:45

I recently found out about this forum while desperately trying to find a way to write to my NTFS formatted Windows XP partition on my Imac HD. I found out the hard way that OSX can only read NTFS drives... I wanted to use the NTFS drive as my main storage drive, that way XP and OSX would have access to this data (MP3s, pictures, videos, photoshop files...). Fortunately I discovered MacFUSE, NTFS-3G and you guys.

A few minutes ago I updated my system with the latest packages from ShadowOfGed and everything went smoothly. Transfer rate from HFS+ to NTFS is very satisfying (684.5MB in 67 seconds). I also took the time to make a back-up of my data. And I also found out how to replace the network drive icon to something better (the normal HD icon lol)

All this to say thank you ShadowOfGed and chucker for the incredible work and support!!!
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-02-28, 00:47

The tools serve only two temporary purposes:
  1. Correct synchronization while mounting
  2. Correct unmounting on shutdown
The Tools wouldn't cause the problem. The MacFUSE release isn't built by me, and the NTFS-3G build is essentially straight from upstream---I edit about 7 lines in the source to hide Linux-related errors and warnings that don't apply to OS X. However, I've been patching these lines since I started releasing binaries, so that hasn't changed either.

I don't know where it is, though... sorry I'm not much help in this regard.

solgae

2007-02-28, 08:01

I agree with you that the tools wouldn't be a problem, so I guess it either comes down to the NTFS-3G or MacFUSE, though I'm leaning towards NTFS-3G. I might try the earlier 02/07/07 release and see what happens.

And yes, thanks ShadowOfGed for all the work you do. I'm looking forward to it.
solgae

2007-02-28, 09:32

switching to 02/07/07 build didn't work. I guess this is a MacFUSE problem now.....

I'll try reverting back to 0.21 and see what happens.
dude

2007-02-28, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssetBurned View Post
i copied a MP3 on a windows computer to the harddisk and renamed one of this clones to üöä.mp3 this file will open in iTunes but doesn't allows me to play it in the preview. The same file as uoa.mp3 works fine, even with a preview.
From what i have experienced, it might not be a problem with the finder or FUSE-NTFS-3G. Where did you last have that drive mounted on? Was it windows or linux? Was there anything running such as an anti-virus app (AVG), drive encryption app, or have you compressed the folder with either windows or other utilities? These are the limitations of NTFS-3G. Please read NTFS-3G limitation at the dev site to get a better handle of limitations.

You can try mounting the drive in windows or linux so it can read/write the problem folder. Create a new directory and copy the files contained in that folder to the new one you created.
solgae

2007-03-01, 08:03

Further observation showed that this is indeed not a problem with any MacFUSE and NTFS-3G tools. It has something to do with the permission. I found out that the ones with full control for everyone can be accessed normally while the ones with limited permission (which vista defaults on, unfortunately) can't be moved/copied/opened. Seems like I need to fiddle around with the permissions here.
dude

2007-03-01, 09:02

Yes, it's the same as if you are in Linux trying to access HFS partitions/drives. You have to be root to be able to open dirs and files located on HFS partitions.

The limitation documentations is missing in the how to i have seen with MacFUSE/NTFS-3G. Normal users think they can access any ntfs partitions as long as they have FUSE installed. It does get messy.
AssetBurned

2007-03-02, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
From what i have experienced, it might not be a problem with the finder or FUSE-NTFS-3G. Where did you last have that drive mounted on? Was it windows or linux? Was there anything running such as an anti-virus app (AVG), drive encryption app, or have you compressed the folder with either windows or other utilities? These are the limitations of NTFS-3G. Please read NTFS-3G limitation at the dev site to get a better handle of limitations.
I did everything with a Windows XP SP1 (SP one !) machine. No antivirus, encription or what ever installed, no copressed folder or something like that.... there is only Boinc installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
You can try mounting the drive in windows or linux so it can read/write the problem folder. Create a new directory and copy the files contained in that folder to the new one you created.
right that works.... but i thought i let everybody know that there is a problem like that, before someone starts to copy his 400GB harddisk and starts to complay that MacFuse+NTFS-g3 is crap... So if omeon is doing it just show him that post

CU AssetBurned
tonard

2007-03-03, 13:02

Hi!
I've discovered these tools and well... I'm not a novice on Mac, but I'm one on the Terminal stuff... And after installing both MacFuse and NTFS-3G, nothing happens!

I see my external NTFS HD on Disk Utility but am not able to mount it...

Could someone tell me why or show me on which page of this post (or else) I could find my answer...

Thanx
jimi00

2007-03-04, 06:59

Hi everyone,
I tried formatting a FAT32 partition into NTFS using the "diskutil eraseVolume" command and everything works as expected under os x (thanks to the whole team, you guys rule).
But I am running into a problem when I try to mount the volume on a home media player appliance. The media player either retains the volume's old name and tells me that the volume is empty, or tells me that the volume name is "untitled" and shows me the right number of files and folders.
Did I format my volume the right way?
I tried renaming the volume through the Finder or with the "diskuitl rename" command to no avail.
Could this have anything to do with the partition scheme? (FDisk_partition_scheme)
Should I try the "duskutil eraseDisk" command; in that case what would the right syntax be?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-04, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi00 View Post
I tried renaming the volume through the Finder or with the "diskuitl rename" command to no avail.
Unfortunately, you cannot (yet) rename a volume that way. I haven't managed to figure out the API for this; Apple doesn't disclose it.

Quote:
Should I try the "duskutil eraseDisk" command; in that case what would the right syntax be?
If SOG's recent packages ship with it, you can use the 'ntfslabel' command-line utility to rename the volume.
AHunter3

2007-03-04, 20:57

Hello! Newbie checking in. Everything works wonderfully.

More wonderfully than I was expecting. Yesterday afternoon I hooked a newly-formatted NTFS external drive to my PowerBook, followed the instrux (opened Disk Utility, unmounted it, then remounted it from the command line as described back on page 1; had to repeat the mount command, it error-messaged me the first time

Quote:
mount_fusefs: fusefs@0 on /Volumes/HELLO NTFS: Operation not permitted
...but obligingly mounted it when I repeated the command. Copied files onto the disk, opened and edited and saved existing documents on the disk, deleted documents from the disk, then unmounted and disconnected it for the time being. So far unsurprising, although spectacular.

This evening I hook it up again, expecting to again have to unmount it in Disk Util then remount it using Terminal command, but lo and behold, the sucker mounted in read-write mode from the get-go!? What, did I make that volume editable to MacOS X permanently somehow? My entire computer's been rebooted since then! What the heck is persisting, and how?

Now I'm curious to see how it behaves the next time I have a chance to hook up a different NTFS drive.
Eylandt

2007-03-05, 04:49

Hey guys, Ive spent the last four hours trying to setup NTFS writing on my Mac but Im running into problems.

After installing everything and rebooting my NTFS mounts but as a read only.

If I unmount it using disk utility and try mounting via Terminal I get this:

Macintosh:~ brycenathanhawkins$ sudo mkdir /Volumes/"External"
Password:
Macintosh:~ brycenathanhawkins$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/"External" -o ping_diskarb,volname="External"
Volume is scheduled for check.
Please boot into Windows TWICE, or use the 'force' mount option.

When I try using the force mount option I get this returned:

Macintosh:~ brycenathanhawkins$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/"External" -o ping_diskarb,force,volname="External"
WARNING: Dirty volume mount was forced by the 'force' mount option.
kextload: /Library/Extensions/fusefs.kext loaded successfully
mount_fusefs: fusefs@0 on /Volumes/External: Operation not permitted

Im completely confused and dont know what else to try.. any suggestions?

Im running:
MacFUSE Tools: MacFUSE Tools 0.2.2.dmg
NTFS-3G: NTFS-3G 1.0.dmg
MacFUSE Core: 0.22
AHunter3

2007-03-05, 10:23

Quote:
This evening I hook it up again, expecting to again have to unmount it in Disk Util then remount it using Terminal command, but lo and behold, the sucker mounted in read-write mode from the get-go!

Now I'm curious to see how it behaves the next time I have a chance to hook up a different NTFS drive.
Update: had a few moments to play with my girlfriend's external NTFS that she uses for her nightly bootable backup (Retrospect target volume).

• Did not auto-mount as editable. Auto-mounted read-only in the Finder.

• Unmounting w/Disk Util, then creating mountpoint and mounting via cmd line worked fine.

Didn't have time to reboot and see if it auto-mounted editable next time around w/o any intervention on my part or not.

Got to the office, and hooked up the original NTFS drive, though, and it once again mounted as an editable NTFS volume just by being hooked up and the power switched on.

Is that how it works for everyone else who has it working?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-03-05, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Didn't have time to reboot and see if it auto-mounted editable next time around w/o any intervention on my part or not.
I don't think I mentioned this before, but I can't recall.

Because of a quirk with DiskArbitration (the Apple software that takes care of automatically mounting disks), you'll have to reboot your machine the very first time you install this NTFS-3G package. The reason is that DiskArbitration only scans for known filesystems when it boots. Thus, after your first install, it doesn't know that NTFS-3G is there.

After rebooting, however, NTFS-3G updates should take effect immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eylandt View Post
Hey guys, Ive spent the last four hours trying to setup NTFS writing on my Mac but Im running into problems.

Code:
Macintosh:~ brycenathanhawkins$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk1s1 \ /Volumes/"External" -o ping_diskarb,force,volname="External" WARNING: Dirty volume mount was forced by the 'force' mount option. kextload: /Library/Extensions/fusefs.kext loaded successfully mount_fusefs: fusefs@0 on /Volumes/External: Operation not permitted
Im completely confused and dont know what else to try.. any suggestions?
You're not running the ntfs-3g command as root. My package does not install it SetUID root, so mount_fusefs is failing to actually mount the drive. If you run that command using sudo, it should work fine.

However, you should probably get a Windows machine to verify the drive and mark it as clean so that the built-in tools can mount it automatically.

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2007-03-05 at 12:03. Reason: Posts merged
AHunter3

2007-03-05, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
Originally Posted by AHunter3
Quote:
I don't think I mentioned this before, but I can't recall.

Because of a quirk with DiskArbitration (the Apple software that takes care of automatically mounting disks), you'll have to reboot your machine the very first time you install this NTFS-3G package. The reason is that DiskArbitration only scans for known filesystems when it boots. Thus, after your first install, it doesn't know that NTFS-3G is there.

After rebooting, however, NTFS-3G updates should take effect immediatel
I believe you misread. I'm way beyond that point. I'm confused (and confusion does not constitute a PROBLEM, I actually like it this way, but wasn't expecting it): I've installed the 3G packages, I've made use of it successfully, I've copied files to an NTFS volume, edited files that were already there, deleted files, it works and it works quite wonderfully.

THEN I unmounted the NTFS drive and THEN I rebooted my compute and THEN I reattached the NTFS drive and, hey, it mounted and, without so much as a single character being typed by me at the Terminal command line, it's in editable mode from the get-go!

And it's persistently so. I've since rebooted yet again, attached a different NTFS drive then gone back to the original and it still mounts as a completely, totally editable volume.

I was not expecting that. I thought I'd have to unmount it every time, then remount it from the command line using the arguments that mount it with write privs. That's not so. It's doing it on its own now.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-03-05, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
And it's persistently so. I've since rebooted yet again, attached a different NTFS drive then gone back to the original and it still mounts as a completely, totally editable volume.
Heh.

That's the entire point of this package. You'll see that there's an ntfs-3g.fs bundle installed in /System/Library/Filesystems. Once the system knows about that, it will automatically mount any NTFS volume using NTFS-3G, thus making it read/write.

In some cases, there are people who don't want that behavior on select volumes, thus the .ntfs-readonly file that's mentioned repeatedly.

Glad that you're happy to have a Mac-friendly NTFS-3G installed.

Built Like A Rock

2007-03-05, 14:37

I wanted to say thanks to all for their help once again on this. I ended up uninstalling though because I couldn't deal with the slow shut downs. I haven't checked out any new developments on this lately though. Even though I uninstalled everything, I still somehow have fuse_daemon running in memory everytime I boot up and I can't get it to turn off or delete it. Shadow, how would I go about stopping this from running completely and erase it for good?

Note: Everything is uninstalled but yet fuse_daemon still exists and still runs.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-03-05, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Like A Rock View Post
I wanted to say thanks to all for their help once again on this. I ended up uninstalling though because I couldn't deal with the slow shut downs.

Note: Everything is uninstalled but yet fuse_daemon still exists and still runs.
How did you uninstall it?

If you used the uninstaller script I posted a long time ago, I'm surprised anything is left behind. Anyhow, there are a bunch of binaries in /usr/local/bin. Also, fuse_daemon is started as a launchd task, so to make it stop, do:
Code:
sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.google.filesystems.fusefs.plist
That should axe it.

Built Like A Rock

2007-03-06, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
How did you uninstall it?

If you used the uninstaller script I posted a long time ago, I'm surprised anything is left behind. Anyhow, there are a bunch of binaries in /usr/local/bin. Also, fuse_daemon is started as a launchd task, so to make it stop, do:
Code:
sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.google.filesystems.fusefs.plist
That should axe it.
That did the trick thank you! Btw, I actually did try to get rid of the binaries in /usr/local/bin but it wasn't working. Then I figured out why they weren't going away. Instead of using the sudo command before rm I was just using rm lol.
CPngN

2007-03-06, 20:29

I've got the latest installed (mac combo package 0.2.2) and I can write to my mount (/Volumes/C ) until..... I try to use a symlink. I'm trying to use my windows partition to store all my photos for iPhoto, and read that symlinks work fine. But... doesn't seem to be the case with ntfs-3g and/or macFUSE in the mix. As soon as I try to write a file via:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 cpn cpn 36 Mar 6 01:36 iPhoto Library@ -> /Volumes/C/DOCS/PICS/iPhoto Library/

I get an input/output error which won't go away until I unmount and remount C:

laptop:~/Pictures cpn$ touch /Volumes/C/DOCS/PICS/iPhoto\ Library/test.txt
touch: /Volumes/C/DOCS/PICS/iPhoto Library/test.txt: Input/output error

Anyone have any ideas? My best guess as to how to proceed now is forget about the symlink thing (and give up solving why it's borked) and modify iPhoto to go directly to /Volumes/C....../iPhoto Libary/ (involves modifying a couple plist files I believe). But I'd love to know why the symlink creates chaos, plus it's be more obvious as to what's going on and should survive iPhoto updates.

T.I.A. all
CPngN
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-03-06, 22:40

I've no idea how well symlinks work on NTFS.

I know in Windows you can create them, but recall reading that it's a mild hack. However, that's a problem beyond our scope... I'd check out the NTFS-3G website to find out more about it.