Apple Music
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-07-24, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I don't really care about the music discovery. I've never used iTunes Radio, Pandora, Musicovery, etc. much. I'd rather discover music through YouTube, oddly.

I mean it's close, but I think $80 is closer to my tipping point. I tend to do most of my listening in sessions rather than just to have noise in the background while I work, study, game, whatever.
For me it's not even just discovery... it's access.... to decades of music i know and love, and i can listen to whenever, easily.

The added bonus of discovery, curated playlists, etc is somewhat icing on the cake.

There's a lot more monthly/annual service fees that I get that are a worse deal... cough cable.... so having virtually the history of music available for $10/month seems like a steal to me.

But to each their own :-)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-07-24, 11:16

That add to playlist from the song is new. In every other non-iOS iTunes you add songs to playlists from the song itself. iPod, iTunes etc. Why would I want to create a playlist and then search out all the songs I want to put in it from my 10K library. When I should be able to hear a song and add it to a playlist directly. At least that's one nice thing Music brought back.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2015-07-24, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
That add to playlist from the song is new. In every other non-iOS iTunes you add songs to playlists from the song itself. iPod, iTunes etc. Why would I want to create a playlist and then search out all the songs I want to put in it from my 10K library. When I should be able to hear a song and add it to a playlist directly. At least that's one nice thing Music brought back.
This is exactly what I was going to complain about. When I was switching from Spotify to iTunes Music, I was copying my playlists over and it was a huge pain in the ass to add the song from iTunes then have to go in and move it to the playlist.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-07-26, 15:50

You know, I'm pretty much an Apple fan boy and will quietly look the other way when they make the occasional misstep or suffer the odd glitch, but I find Music to be a fucking train wreck. There's so much shit going on on any given screen, so many ways to be wander from function to function with no obvious way to get to where you want to be, and all of it roped together with no apparent hierarchy of functionality, that I'm pretty sure I want nothing to do with it. Not to mention the completely opaque relationship between iTunes Match and whatever Music is trying to do with your library, so that it's so unclear what I own, what I've ripped, what's been matched and what's only available as copy protected streams that I might as well hand my library over to Apple for curating and deletion at their option.

This is genuinely the first time I've thought "Jobs would murdered employees and displayed their heads on cruelly sharpened spikes as a warning to the others before he unleashed this Frankenstein on his customers." It's like they took everyone's complaints about iTunes trying to do too much in one app and turned it up to eleventy billion. It appears to me the only way to enjoy this thing is to just let Apple choose your music, all the time, including telling you what do and do not own.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-07-26, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
For me it's not even just discovery... it's access.... to decades of music i know and love, and i can listen to whenever, easily.

The added bonus of discovery, curated playlists, etc is somewhat icing on the cake.

There's a lot more monthly/annual service fees that I get that are a worse deal... cough cable.... so having virtually the history of music available for $10/month seems like a steal to me.

But to each their own :-)
See, the thing is that's decades of music I already own. I may not spend much now, but have accumulated a large collection in cassette tapes, CDs, downloads, etc just like everyone else. So I'm supposed to spend that money again for stuff I've already paid for? No, this is clearly a service meant for discovery and someone else to curate playlists for you.

Last edited by Eugene : 2015-07-26 at 18:23.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-07-27, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
See, the thing is that's decades of music I already own. I may not spend much now, but have accumulated a large collection in cassette tapes, CDs, downloads, etc just like everyone else. So I'm supposed to spend that money again for stuff I've already paid for? No, this is clearly a service meant for discovery and someone else to curate playlists for you.
I'm on a train right now... I don't have a cassette deck with me, and my tape collection. Nor do I have a discman and my cd collection.

When I'm at work I don't have that either, nor when I am on a run.

Even when I am at home I don't use my old CDs and cassette tapes.

Could I import them all? Sure.... and I have imported all of my CDs. But, then what? I have to manage a 100GB+ library of music. I've done that for 13+ years now. I have iTunes Match, and it works pretty well. But, I never owned everything i love to listen to. There's hundreds and hundreds of albums that I never purchased that are classic and I love. I could have never purchased them all as I never would have had enough money.

I think it is a service for a wide range of users/purposes. I use it for discovery, and for its back catalog, and it's convenience.