User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dashcode
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-05-25, 01:41

May I remind everyone of the notice Apple attaches to every ADC (developer) download:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Legal
Warning: Pre–release software is Apple confidential information. Your unauthorized distribution of pre–release software or disclosure of information relating to pre–release software (including the posting of screen shots) may subject you to both civil and criminal liability and result in immediate termination of your ADC Membership.
You cannot find Dashcode officially from Apple, therefore it is pre-release software that, at best, was intended only to be seen by developers. I suspect even developers weren't supposed to see it yet. Therefore, having a copy (and even worse, helping distribute them), is a Bad Idea™.

I'm not going to mess with it, and I predict that Apple Legal will make life very unpleasant for the people who uploaded it for public distribution.

But I'm just guessing.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.

T2dak668

2006-05-25, 01:43

Here are some thumbs of pix so you get the idea, for those afraid to install it.

PICTURES REMOVED

Last edited by Luca : 2006-05-25 at 10:50.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-05-25, 01:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2dak668
Here are some thumbs of pix so you get the idea, for those afraid to install it.

PICTURES REMOVED
Quote:
..(including the posting of screen shots) may subject you to both civil and criminal liability...
Way to go T2...

Last edited by Luca : 2006-05-25 at 10:50.

T2dak668

2006-05-25, 02:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Way to go T2...
oh man steve just knocked on my apt door... boy hes PISSED haha

JayReding

2006-05-25, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Yes, but Dashcode isn't part of the Xcode Tools 2.3.
Supposedly it came on Version 1.3 of the Mac OS X restore DVD. The one I got with my iMac is 1.1 - those who have a 1.3 DVD might want to check and see if it's really there.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-25, 10:51

Thanks everyone for repeatedly quoting links and screenshots. You really made my job easier

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-25, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmonkey
can someone please post a working mirror of the download.

I want to try!!!!!
No dice; it's copyrighted. Only Apple gets to decide whether they want to release it.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-25, 10:56

Yeah. I don't care if you somehow obtain it or not, but no one is allowed to post it here, publicly, as that is illegal.

Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-25, 11:52

Think Secret now claims that Dashcode has been officially released? Hrm.

EDIT: up until now, all talk was that it had been accidentally leaked/accidentally distributed on disks. TS makes it sound like the release on disks was deliberate.

Last edited by Engine Joe : 2006-05-25 at 12:30.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-05-25, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Thanks everyone for repeatedly quoting links and screenshots. You really made my job easier
Whoopsie, didn't even think about that one.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-05-25, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed
May I remind everyone of the notice Apple attaches to every ADC (developer) download:

You cannot find Dashcode officially from Apple, therefore it is pre-release software that, at best, was intended only to be seen by developers. I suspect even developers weren't supposed to see it yet. Therefore, having a copy (and even worse, helping distribute them), is a Bad Idea™.

I'm not going to mess with it, and I predict that Apple Legal will make life very unpleasant for the people who uploaded it for public distribution.

But I'm just guessing.
Quit the spiel. It's openly available from Apple.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-25, 12:40

But what about people with MacBook's where it was accidentally included on the cd's? How do they find it and can they use it just on their computer seeing it was included?

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-05-25, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
Quit the spiel. It's openly available from Apple.
Where? I can't find it anywhere, either on Apple's main site or on the developer site...

Just because it seems to have accidentally left Apple's campus doesn't mean that Apple has intentionally released it for public consumption. Something as new and shiny as Dashcode probably would have gotten some sort of announcement from Apple, even if it's just a small one.

If you can point me to where Apple has publicly released it, I'll stand corrected.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-05-25, 13:13

Why would Apple "accidentally" put something on a install/restor DVD? ... come on.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-05-25, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
Why would Apple "accidentally" put something on a install/restor DVD? ... come on.
I don't know why, necessarily, but let's just say I've "heard" that this was not intentional. Believe what you want, but until you can find Dashcode from Apple directly, I'll stand by my assertion.

Also keep in mind that every Install DVD that ships with an Apple is custom-tailored to that model. I know someone who has tried to get a Tiger DVD that shipped with a 17" PowerBook to install on a 15" PowerBook, and it wouldn't let him.

So that means a new Install DVD must be put together by Apple for each hardware release. Accidents do happen...

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 13:43

It could be many things...

Conspiracy theory 1 - Disgruntled developers in Apple want it released and it's being held back, so the *accidentally* slip it onto a distribution.

Conspiracy theory 2 - Viral Marketting / Beta Testing by Apple.

Conspiracy theory 3 - ok bored now..

I think it was deliberate on some level. What level I am not sure..
I know I have leaked stuff when I was working 'in house' before...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-25, 13:49

Where is it on those discs? Anyone know?

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
Where is it on those discs? Anyone know?
The side without printing on it..

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-25, 13:55

I knew I was doing something wrong with these things!

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 14:38

This is out because Apple slipped up so I say have at it. I won't relink lest I inspire the ire of the admins but everyone knows how to use Google.

What the hell is with so many members trying to be little helper mods? I think the AN staff is quite capable on their own without a horde of members running around with the posting guidelines in one hand and Apple's EULA in the other.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-05-25, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
This is out because Apple slipped up so I say have at it. I won't relink lest I inspire the ire of the admins but everyone knows how to use Google.

What the hell is with so many members trying to be little helper mods? I think the AN staff is quite capable on their own without a horde of members running around with the posting guidelines in one hand and Apple's EULA in the other.
I only said anything because I saw it at like midnight or 1AM PST, which means it was almost 4AM on the east coast, so I wasn't sure how many people would be perusing the forums to see it.

Otherwise, I'd not have mentioned it, I don't think...

MacGregor

2006-05-28, 14:44

I can see with naming conventions that this would be a developer's app, but I think that it should be made into an iApp since it is so, seemingly, intuitive and such. I mean if we can make our own podcasts without having to get Xcode, why can't we make widgets?!

The "Mother of All" Flip-flops.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/
Support the Freedom of Information Act by using it ... support the troops by being an informed electorate!

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-05-28, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor
I can see with naming conventions that this would be a developer's app, but I think that it should be made into an iApp since it is so, seemingly, intuitive and such. I mean if we can make our own podcasts without having to get Xcode, why can't we make widgets?!
Because Apple probably doesn't want to populate the world with crappy Widgets; making Windows develoment too easy was one of Microsoft's mistakes—there's a lot of Windows software, and a lot of it is just crap. Apple doesn't want that for widgets, methinks...

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2006-05-28, 22:46

it's not like dashboard is a major part of the OS X experience... and you have to download the crappy widgets anyway. It's not like they're viri or bundled software. I would be all for letting users create widgets. As long as I can search their website for widgets by function and number of downloads I'll be fine - let other peopel determine which widgets are good.

metallic07029

2006-09-01, 12:31

I am working on getting a site up for widget developers. www.dashcoders.com Check it out if you'd like. I thought it goes with the topic.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-09-01, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic07029 View Post
I am working on getting a site up for widget developers. www.dashcoders.com Check it out if you'd like. I thought it goes with the topic.
I'm going to be nice (for once) and assume that you aren't spamming, but are rather some excited person who's never really used forums before. You should probably know that signing up for a forum and making your first post nothing but a link to your site is not only a violation of the policies of most forums, but it's also really rude.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

r.pesquera

2007-01-15, 12:18

does anyone know how to put two different rss feeds in the same widget?

thanks

Rafael R. Pesquera

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-15, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.pesquera View Post
does anyone know how to put two different rss feeds in the same widget?

thanks

Rafael R. Pesquera
This isn't the place for tech support questions. The Genius Bar forum is.

This thread is so old, it has outlived its usefulness. I'm closing it now.