Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!
Page 11 of 13 First Previous 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13  Next Thread Tools
CPngN

2007-03-07, 17:26

Well after rebooting into windows, running a full boot time chkdsk which fixed a bunch of files, and booting back to os x, I can mount and write correctly. And, discovered if you delete your iPhoto Library folder, it will ask you where you'd like to make a new one. So I pointed it directly at my windows volume. Now.. the question is "do I even want to use iPhoto?". hehehe
szaka

2007-03-07, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPngN View Post
Well after rebooting into windows, running a full boot time chkdsk which fixed a bunch of files,
Could you please send the chkdsk output which you can copy-paste by following http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK#Viewing_results
Thanks.

Btw, symlink is supported and works fine on Linux. On Windows you need Windows for Unix services to see them, similarly to device files, etc.
CPngN

2007-03-08, 00:31

Well, no, I can't. Because now I can't log into windows. In fact, acronis boot selector doens't even load. Luckily it boots me into OS X after giving me a "no operating system found" error.

And maybe you missed what I was trying to do. In OS X, I was making a link on my mac partition to a directory on the ntfs partition. Whenever I try to access files via that symlink instead of /Volumes/C/the_file, it borks. Or at least, iPhoto borked. I can now edit a text file via the symlink, but iPhoto is already changed to point directly to /Volumes/C/PICS/iPhoto Library/ so...

I don't know! My guess is my "upgrade" of macfuse and ntfs screwed up the ntfs parition, but now that I've chkdisk's (and fixed) it and cleaned out and reinstall macfuse and ntfs-3g, it might all be better. I have less and less need to boot to windows so I may not even bother trying to fix the bootloader (Acronis). lol

OS X++ !
Carbonide

2007-03-10, 11:30

Quote:
Unfortunately, you cannot (yet) rename a volume that way. I haven't managed to figure out the API for this; Apple doesn't disclose it.
Sadly, it's also impossible to change the Finder icon. After a restart, the network icon is back.

Read/write access works at good speeds and that's the most important thing, but is there any hope that renaming and changing the icon will work someday?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-03-10, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonide View Post
Sadly, it's also impossible to change the Finder icon. After a restart, the network icon is back.

Read/write access works at good speeds and that's the most important thing, but is there any hope that renaming and changing the icon will work someday?
Odd... changing the icon has worked for me thus far. How are you changing the icon?

As for renaming the volume through Finder... don't count on it. There's very little documentation on how filesystem bundles work, and nothing describes the API that's used to rename volumes, so there's not going to be "easy" support for that anytime soon.

However, the package still comes with the "ntfslabel" command-line utility in /usr/local/bin, and that *can* rename NTFS volumes. It just requires a bit more elbow grease.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-03-10, 20:19

I've created a makeshift homepage for these packages so that changes are easier to follow.

I can't edit really old posts in this thread, so maintaining updated links in my blog is probably the easiest way to keep people informed. Also, it will allow me a place to answer frequently-asked questions. I don't have the time to write a FAQ now, but I will in the near future (I hope).

Carbonide

2007-03-11, 04:29

Maybe I did something wrong during install as I'm having another problem: my NTFS partition (that I use with Bootcamp to boot into Windows) displays now as 'disk0s3' instead of 'Untitled' (I forgot to set the name to something meaningful when I partitioned my hard disc).

I will try the ntfslabel utility later, but will it have any consequence on the bootability of the Windows partition?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-03-11, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonide View Post
Maybe I did something wrong during install as I'm having another problem: my NTFS partition (that I use with Bootcamp to boot into Windows) displays now as 'disk0s3' instead of 'Untitled' (I forgot to set the name to something meaningful when I partitioned my hard disc).

I will try the ntfslabel utility later, but will it have any consequence on the bootability of the Windows partition?
Nope. You could also rename it in Windows, if you're concerned.
mandrake

2007-03-11, 21:31

[first post, forgive me]

Yesterday, I decided I wanted to write files to an NTFS partition from OS X. So I found y'all.

I just want to say "thanks" to ShadowOfGed and chucker for the heavy lifting, and all of you for the feedback. I spent the day (Saturday) reading the entire forum...I'm a "RTFM" kinda guy...and installed the latest versions.

For what I need it to do...it works like a charm. I'm a happy camper. So I thought I would come up with some icons to replace the "globe" network icon on the drives. But I'm not an artist. So I searched...and liked these:

http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/details.php?id=1943

From the "drives"...so far...I use black with Apple logo to denote internal drive, black with Windows logo to denote internal NTFS drive (my Boot Camp Vista partition), and white to denote external (in this case, an NTFS-formatted USB2 drive):

^ that's the internal Mac drive

^ that's the internal NTFS drive, running Vista

^ that's the external USB2 drive, formatted with NTFS

Anyway, just sayin'...thank you!
devilsanthem

2007-03-14, 22:25

Hi guys, new to this forum. I'm trying to get macfuse and ntfs-3g working on my external ntfs drive, it does work on my internal perfectly. But the external drive is another story. It gave me the 36 code error first. I restarted it hoping it will go away. But now it is read-only. As if ntfs-3g isn't even attempting to work on it; the apple ntfs is taking over.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-03-14, 23:18

If your external drive was not unmounted cleanly (by Windows), then ntfs-3g will refuse to mount it. To fix that, you'd need to attach the drive to a Windows machine and cleanly eject the volume(s) before unplugging the drive.

devilsanthem

2007-03-14, 23:35

Oh ok, I'll give that a try. By the way, I just tried the "sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/"My Book" -o ping_diskarb,force,volname="My Book"" command and it worked well.

Should I still try doing a clean unmounting, or is there another reason why it's not mounting it for r/w at boot? Thanks in advance.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-03-14, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsanthem View Post
Should I still try doing a clean unmounting, or is there another reason why it's not mounting it for r/w at boot? Thanks in advance.
You need to do the clean unmounting, as the automounter does *not* pass the "force" option to ntfs-3g. The reason you must explicitly "force" it to mount is because it's dangerous. I don't want to create a tool that mounts possibly-damaged volumes forcibly.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-03-15, 01:11

NOTICE: This package now has a home!

I have finally settled on a decent design for a website for this NTFS-3G package. The website is merely a post in my personal blog. Don't go digging around there if you don't want to read typical angsty collegiate crap.

Anyhow, here's the link again: NTFS-3G for Mac OS X.

And, for some of the most frequent questions and workarounds/solutions, the most interesting section (aside from download links), is probably the addition of a very detailed FAQ. It should be comprehensive enough to walk anyone through the proper steps, even when Terminal.app is involved.

So, if you have any questions, please see the FAQ, and then ask here if the questions are unanswered there.

Cheers!

devilsanthem

2007-03-15, 16:08

I tried unmounting it in windows and it still didn't fly. Could it be the fstab file I modified?
devilsanthem

2007-03-15, 19:33

Nevermind, it did work, thanks.
Hara Taiki

2007-03-24, 22:07

Hey chucker and Shadow, it's me again.

You guys helped me mount my NTFS drive with the older packages, and now I am having problems again.

I downloaded the newest MacFuse and NTFS-3g from the website, and I cannot mount the drive.

Code:
Magi-Melchior:~ harataiki$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Hara Taiki" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Hara Taiki" dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libfuse.0.dylib Referenced from: /usr/bin/ntfs-3g Reason: image not found Trace/BPT trap
Can anyone walk me through this with the new binaries?
BSD

2007-03-26, 02:45

Everything is working ok except for one thing. I replaced the icon on the NTFS volume and it hasn't been reset to the default network drive icon. What bugs me is that the NTFS volume won't save changes I make to folders under OSX (sort by name and such). Somehow .DS_Store files aren't saved (or created) on the NTFS volume because they are not there when I boot into windows and everything has reset when I reboot in OSX. I use MacPilot and the option to prevent the creation of .DS_Store files on a network isn't checked so it's not the problem.

Does anyone know of a way around this?
solgae

2007-03-28, 17:08

Unrelated, but Apple released a new version of boot camp (1.2b) that now officially supports Vista. No more manual installing of drivers now.

Not sure how it will affect MacFUSE but just so you know. So much for that silly rumor of Leopand getting delayed because of Vista support.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-04-24, 10:14

*bump*

Just in case anyone has been watching here for updates, I've updated everything to new versions. NTFS-3G is now at 1.417, and the MacFUSE Tools are at 0.2.5. All the information about them can be found here. Downloads are also linked from that page.

ksec

2007-04-24, 11:03

Any update on performance? Just wondering
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-04-24, 14:29

Performance appears mostly unchanged. I still see around 10MB/s for internal devices, and about 1MB/s for my external drive. I don't know where the discrepancy lies between the two.

wesley96

2007-04-26, 06:46

Could it be the poor USB driver implementation Apple did to OS X that I sometimes hear about?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-26, 06:48

OS X's USB implementation is somewhat slow, but not significantly enough to matter in the above statistics.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-04-26, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley96 View Post
Could it be the poor USB driver implementation Apple did to OS X that I sometimes hear about?
I doubt it, because on internal drives, I can see anywhere from 25-50 MB/s using HFS+, and around 10-13 MB/s using HFS+ on an external drive.

I wish I knew where the bottleneck is and/or how to fix it.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-05-08, 04:51

There's a new update for NTFS-3G, out as of tonight and/or this morning.

The biggest news? Performance gains! Credit goes to a few clever FreeBSD hackers though, not me.

Other than that, you can read about the smaller changes on the usual NTFS-3G for Mac OS X homepage. I just thought everyone here would like to know that performance is much better now, thanks to the efforts of several other people.

The changes affect the low-level code used by NTFS-3G, so it comes with an increased risk of eating your data. It's worked for me so far, without any problems. However, your mileage may vary---consider yourselves warned.

jlynch1977

2007-05-20, 19:56

For some reason, when I click on the above links to download the working version of NTFS-3g, I get an "Inactive Account" message. I get the same thing on his website. Does anyone know why? I could really use this piece of software right now!
SeanUICoD

2007-05-25, 15:46

I'm setting up a self-service video editing station -- a Mac -- for use by our faculty, who mostly use PCs. They're generating huge files, and we installed NTFS-3g to enable them to save their video to their own, NTFS USB drives.

It seems to be working, BUT, now when we try to boot into Windows via Bootcamp using the Startup Disk control panel, our Bootcamp Windows partition doesn't show up anymore as an available startup disk. The partition appears on the desktop. We can boot into Windows by holding down the Option key on restart and selecting Windows. But using Startup Disk -- no go. This is a concern because this machine is used by tech novices, and the instructions we've given them for booting Mac/Windows is to use the Startup Disk control panel.

I'm hoping someone knows a quick fix?

Thanks so much!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-05-25, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanUICoD View Post
Nope. With using NTFS-3g, Startup Disk won't recognize the volume as NTFS any more. Perhaps your best bet is to create two shell scripts that manually edit the appropriate NVRAM properties.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-05-25, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanUICoD View Post
If you don't need the ability to write to the internal Windows partition, then you can create a .ntfs-readonly file at the root of the volume and NTFS-3G will allow Apple's read-only NTFS implementation take over. Then BootCamp will see it, but you won't have write support to your main Windows partition.

I'm going to post a new version of NTFS-3G tonight that adds a few small features you might find useful (such as using $ReadOnly instead of .ntfs-readonly, so Windows shouldn't list the files).

Hope this helps.