AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iOS backup to Time Capsule?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS backup to Time Capsule?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-07, 19:27

And that's great, but iCloud has a ceiling that's less than the capacity of their upper-end devices. It may not matter to a ton of users, but I'd be curious to see if anyone's kinda wondering about how to go about a migration/upgrade on their large-ish capacity iDevice.

Kickaha, she's in Port Angeles.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2013-10-08, 02:31

Cool, that's a neat town. I grew up 2 hrs the *other* direction, so I was going to be amused if she was in my old stomping grounds.
Eugene
careful with axes

2013-10-08, 19:01

This is my opinion, but if you have >50GB of data on your iDevices at all times, then you are mostly doing it wrong. I treat that space as scratch mostly for video recordings and temporary storage of downloaded movies/shows.

I'm sure iCloud storage options will expand when needed.
¡Damned!

2013-10-08, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
This is my opinion, but if you have >50GB of data on your iDevices at all times, then you are mostly doing it wrong. I treat that space as scratch mostly for video recordings and temporary storage of downloaded movies/shows.
That's easy to say for those of us that can turn off installed apps via iTunes, but for someone with an iOS device as their only Apple product it's loads tougher*.

Apple needs to offer a way to plug in a USB flash-drive through an external Lightning>female USB adapter or a CF card via Lightning>CF adapter and make it completely seamless and easy through "Settings" or even a stand-alone "Backup" app. Why we have to think these things up for them in a Post-PC world is beyond me.

*I really want to go 16GB on my next iPhone and just force myself to manage shit on there properly. My only hesitation is with the new slow-mo videos. I could see myself building a huge pile of those up between syncs... or maybe I should just manage my sync time properly as well.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-08, 20:26

Eugene, I'm talking specifically about those who've made an iPad their sole device (partly because Apple said they could, and provided the means to activate/use one as such). They've just not fully addressed the other end of the equation.

Procedurally/mechanically, what's the difference between someone having an 11" MacBook Air as their sole device vs. someone doing the same with an iPad? To me, if both users are able to do everything they need on their chosen device, there is none...except that Apple provides the former with the means to easily back up (and then restore/configure, when needed) their Mac locally. But somehow that thinking or approach is odd, funky and "not needed" when applied to the iOS side of things? I don't see any difference...you've got files, data, settings, documents, photos, music, video, etc. on an iPad too (they should be easily, seamlessly and locally able to be backed up - or thrown onto a new, upgraded device - as well), without iCloud being the sole possibility in a PC-free environment.

What I'm talking about in all of this is no more complicated or "out there" than a product/approach Apple has already invented, and is using in their entire line of OS X-based products. Why shouldn't iOS get the same sort of consideration or handy, easy approach for those who've chucked their PC or Mac?

It's not our place to say how someone uses their device is "wrong" or whatever. If 50GB was some universal, agreed-upon threshold for the amount of shit one should put on their device (and going past that made the user "wrong"), then Apple wouldn't offer 64GB devices (let alone 128GB ones). To me that would be like a car company bragging that their new sedan gets 75mpg...but they only install a two gallon tank in the car. It doesn't make sense, and it's going to cause problems and frustrate users at some point. Someone, at some point, is going to hit that wall where that arrangement is a pain-in-the-butt.

"We offer 50GB of iCloud storage for $100 a year" is no kind of answer, or comprehensive solution/fix.

It's not.

iCloud is a great option. But I think it's just that...an option, for those whose needs it meets. That isn't everyone, and it's going to be even more "not everyone" as we move forward.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
We're barely three years into this iPad stuff, and the notion of "PC Free" has only existed for two, since the release of iOS 5. But as time goes on, more and more people are going to realize "why the hell do I have this iMac (or Gateway something-or-other) when all I'm doing is prowling around on Facebook and YouTube, listening to/buying music, drawing/painting, messing with video, etc.? That stuff is way more fun on my iPad anyway...".

If I didn't make a decent bit of my income via Illustrator, this iMac would be GONE!! Believe that! If something like what I've talked about in this thread existed (and there was just a truly amazing iOS vector drawing app that allowed me to "fake it" enough), I'd have a simple 16GB "s" version iPhone (upgraded every two years to the next "s" version), a 128GB iPad with everything I own/use/do onboard (and upgraded every other year, opposite the iPhone) and the above iCapsule thing. That's it. Because the only time I sit at my iMac these days is when I'm having to use Illustrator. I dream about this existence! I'd gladly say bye to the Mac tomorrow if I could, because I don't need it except for this one specific thing. It's why I'm using this six-year-old machine...I can't justify upgrading it for just that one particular task (I talk myself out of it about twice a year, for over two years now). I'm kinda in "wait and see" mode. Because I'd be 1,000% okay paying $199 every two years, and $799 on the opposite year, to constantly have relatively new, current and zippy hardware leapfrogging each other, and never have to fool with a full-on computer ever again.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-10-08 at 21:34.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-09, 09:23

Hey, I'm listening to Gruber's podcast and this outfit is one of the sponsors:

http://www.filetransporter.com

Hmmm. Seems very close.

709, this might be exactly what you were talking about earlier.