Netflix spins DVD-by-mail service off into "Quixster," adds game rentals

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Netflix spins DVD-by-mail service off into "Quixster," adds game rentals
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-10, 10:18

Between this nonsense and HP's chaos, "leaders" in the tech industry are really having some problems making decisions.
Noel

2011-10-10, 10:40

As long as they still plan on renting video games, I don't care about today's news. It's not very confidence-inspiring, however.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-10, 13:07

The Onion's take:

Quote:
Officials at Netflix announced Thursday that the company has finally reached its long-term goal of constructing a chain of easily accessible stores. "Having actual physical locations was always our ultimate intent, and we are proud to provide our customers with the convenient option of driving to a nearby Netflix store and renting any available movie for just $3.99 per title," said Netflix spokesman Henry Regis, adding that the ease of physically walking through aisles and picking out DVDs will more than make up for the stores' minimized selection of titles. "We will also be implementing late fees to help ensure films are returned on time—that way no one misses a chance to rent the hottest new releases." Regis confirmed that the new physical locations will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and include easy after-hours drop-off boxes.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-10-10, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Between this nonsense and HP's chaos, "leaders" in the tech industry are really having some problems making decisions.
Suppose they were taking advices from same consultants who's been working with Microsoft?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-10, 20:34

Weird, embarrassing stuff.

Strange to see such a prominent company act this crazy. You expect it from some (it's par for the course), but Netflix isn't selling operating systems, software, game systems, serving some hugely entrenched customer/user base, etc. They're just renting movies. How hard could that possibly be, especially when you consider the fact they've done it pretty well for a long while now?

Sometimes, you don't really need to monkey with things and get cute with the one thing you're known for. It'll almost always blow up and bite you on the butt. If I was a Netflix customer, employee or shareholder, I wouldn't know which way is up at this point. And I surely wouldn't believe a damn word that comes out of that CEO's mouth.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-10, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
That's the understatement of the year, Torifile!

I think all of this stuff is utterly and completely pathetic! Of course, corporate mergers and de-mergers/spinoffs have been a source of ridicule and immeasurable corporate waste since the beginning of time. Just think of boondoggles like the HP-Compaq merger or, even worse, AOL's merger with Time Warner!

Thank goodness I don't patronize any of these pathetic companies or -- heaven forbid -- have put any money in their stock!

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-10, 23:16

It's particularly disconcerting because up until very recently Netflix seemed like one of those unassailable brands, like Kleenex or Coke. For God's sake, it was practically a utility-- where the DVDs come from.

As such it had the enormous advantage barely seeming like a company, exactly, but more like a fact of life or a natural phenomena. I mean, Netflix. There it is. Why are we still talking about this?

But now? It's just another confused, fallible company thrashing in the face of changing technology. Which means options can be considered. They managed to go from natural phenomena to considered option in like 3 months. Amazing.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-11, 06:35

Check out this SNL skit:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...pology/1359563
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-10-12, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
It's particularly disconcerting because up until very recently Netflix seemed like one of those unassailable brands, like Kleenex or Coke. For God's sake, it was practically a utility-- where the DVDs come from.

As such it had the enormous advantage barely seeming like a company, exactly, but more like a fact of life or a natural phenomena. I mean, Netflix. There it is. Why are we still talking about this?

But now? It's just another confused, fallible company thrashing in the face of changing technology. Which means options can be considered. They managed to go from natural phenomena to considered option in like 3 months. Amazing.
Qwikster is Netflix's New Coke.
iramike

2012-02-28, 23:43

Is Qwikster gud to use????
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-02-29, 00:14

Oh boy.
Mike, please reassure us that you're not a dirty pirate hooker, here to spam us while using words like "gud". Pretty please, even.