Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Tired of iPhone home page

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tired of iPhone home page
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-02-15, 09:55

Okay it's been flogged to death in the press and today it's officially a month since MacWorld when it was unveiled. Are we stuck with this until Leopard?
How about a nice little Mac Mini bump along the way?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-15, 09:57

Apple tends to stick with the same thing for a while. We actually got a change when the iPod shuffle was updated recently, but as you can see, it's been changed back.

Since the iPhone is by far the biggest announcement they've made all year so far, they don't have any reason to change it yet. With no obvious upgrades to be made before WWDC, I think we might actually be stuck with it until the Leopard release, as you suggested.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-15, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Okay it's been flogged to death in the press and today it's officially a month since MacWorld when it was unveiled. Are we stuck with this until Leopard?
THANK you (you saved me from having to start the thread).

I don't like it because, like those "I'm a Mac" ads they sometimes run on the home page, there's a lag/loading time thing that irks me (I know, I could set my homepage to something else, or none at all...but that's not the point ).

The other things I don't like:

- Macworld, where this thing was announced, is WAAYYYY over. Over a month now.
- The silly thing doesn't come out for another four or so months, at least. Premature anticipation. People are going to be sick of seeing it and hearing about it by the time June rolls around.

So all three of those taken together makes for a really lame Apple.com homepage, IMO.

In fact, they put those gorgeous (and fast-loading) iPod shuffles up there, but they only stayed for a few days it seemed. Then they got yanked and replaced with the iPhone again.

If nothing else, make it cycle around (they do that sometimes, a different main item everytime you load the page) between the iPhone, colored iPod shuffles and TV? At least you'd have a 2-in-3 chance of it not being the iPhone page.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-02-15, 11:12

Paul, I hate to have to tell you this, and I'm sure you already know, but when they do get rid of the iPhone page, you know it will be for a new I'm a Mac advertisement.

On the bright side though, the past year seems to have shown a trend where the I'm a Mac commercials are used as a transition to the next big announcement. They don't seem to want to leave those ads on the front page for toooooo long, so once it switches to that, I would expect another hardware announcement about 2 or 3 weeks later.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-02-15, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Paul, I hate to have to tell you this, and I'm sure you already know, but when they do get rid of the iPhone page, you know it will be for a new I'm a Mac advertisement.

On the bright side though, the past year seems to have shown a trend where the I'm a Mac commercials are used as a transition to the next big announcement. They don't seem to want to leave those ads on the front page for toooooo long, so once it switches to that, I would expect another hardware announcement about 2 or 3 weeks later.
Hardware OR ........duh duh duuuuuuh Leopard
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-02-15, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I feel the same way. I hate the frozen-ness of the Apple home page while it loads that iPhone animation. I'd go almost as far as to say it's unprofessional. Before Apple started placing QuickTime content on their front page it loaded in maybe 2 seconds. If I didn't know that it was going to take some time to load the iPhone ad, I'd think the Apple home page had crashed my browser.

It's even more fun when you're on a computer without QuickTime. Nothing like visiting a company homepage and being told you have to do a multi MB download in order to view the page. Then once you're finally done, all you get is a silly little iPhone animation. I'd be ticked.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-02-15, 13:35

Maybe someone could write a li'l patch for browsers to not play quicktime content from Apple.com only.