User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Children of Incarcerated Parents

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Children of Incarcerated Parents
rcm8

2009-01-06, 17:27

Hey guys, I'd like to ask for a moment and make you aware of an effort to help children in need living in the Chicago area. I was hesitant to use the board for soliciting donations, but this is an effort that means a lot to me and we can work together to make a difference in the lives of these children.

Right now, more than 2 million kids in the United States have a parent in jail. Best case scenario, they are left with the other parent or another family member. Worst case scenario, they're left by themselves and sometimes homeless. There are a lot of kids in these kinds of situations in Chicago.

There is a mentoring program being started to assist these children. The point of this mentoring program is to provide stable positive role models in the lives of these vulnerable kids. Kids who are mentored have proven to be more likely to finish school and less likely to go to jail themselves.

Starting such a program takes a little bit of funding for initial group activities and other events. If you are interested in making a donation to the program, you can click this paypal link below. These donations are tax deductible as well because we are a 301 (c) non-profit organization. I know a lot of us might not be raking in the big bucks right now, but every little bit helps. Seriously, a couple dollars from everyone would make a huge difference.

PayPal Link
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=1248819

The paypal does take out a 3ish% fee for using the service, so another option is to mail a check [and checks can be made payable to Marillac Social Center]. This is a joint venture between the Marillac House and Notre Dame AmeriCorps.

mail to:
Sr. Maureen McGrath
Marillac Social Center
212 S. Francisco Ave.
Chicago, IL 60612

Thanks guys for any help. I truly believe in this cause and I hope you can make an effort to reach out.

Ryan

Here is a link to the Social Center that is starting the program: http://www.marillachouse.org/

Last edited by rcm8 : 2009-01-06 at 19:58. Reason: Added link to the Social Center to increase credibility....