AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Google analytics?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Google analytics?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-15, 21:58

This is weird. When using Firefox under XP with the no-script extension installed I get a no-script message about google analytics. Do we have google analytics doing something on this site? I don't recall getting the notification when using FF under OS X so maybe it's just screwed up or something. Any ideas?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-07-15, 22:10

A View Source on the index page shows a Google Analytics script at the bottom of the source.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-15, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Do we have google analytics doing something on this site?
Ayup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I don't recall getting the notification when using FF under OS X so maybe it's just screwed up or something. Any ideas?
It's been there for a while. That Firefox is only now complaining for you is probably indicative of something screwy in Firefox.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-07-16, 00:10

Don't believe him Tori... Google's in your internets, working on UR tubes!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-31, 19:26

Hey Brad, When putting in Google Analytics on the site, are you supposed to put it near the bottom?

My question is more for a WordPress Blog I'm running as a podcast because I thought I'd play with GA since it's free anyway. So I put it in the footer.php because it is common to all of the pages that might be viewed in the blog. Does that sound right? I just want to make sure it is able to track as much as possible.

Next up is, how beneficial has it been to have GA here at AN? What info comes from GA that AN uses most (if I can ask in a public format, if not please PM me)?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-31, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Hey Brad, When putting in Google Analytics on the site, are you supposed to put it near the bottom?
Yup.

Quote:
So I put it in the footer.php because it is common to all of the pages that might be viewed in the blog. Does that sound right?
Yup.

Quote:
Next up is, how beneficial has it been to have GA here at AN? What info comes from GA that AN uses most (if I can ask in a public format, if not please PM me)?
It's not affected any major decisions, if that's what you mean. It's mostly something I've just done to satisfy my own curiosity and to give me quick and pretty results that don't require downloading and processing Apache logs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-31, 20:41

That's kinda what I thought. It's what I'm getting from it now too. Kinda cool to see some of the podcast visitors are from across the country.

Thanks Brad.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
rasmits
rams it

2007-08-04, 13:36

I think it'd be interesting to see some of AN's stats from Google Analytics.