Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Spider-Man 3...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Spider-Man 3...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
EmC

2006-06-27, 13:18

The teaser trailer is supposed to be up on Apple's site later this afternoon. With the Spiderman, Batman, and Superman franchises all back and pumping out movies which character has traditionally been your favorite? Which movie(s) have lived up to the hype and your expectations?

Personally I though Batman Begins was excellent. It wasn't as dark as the first two and not as comical as the last few. I can't wait to see how this new triology is going to play out.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-27, 13:29

Batman will always be my favorite and I'm really glad that he's still chugging along despite the ridiculous liberties taken with the character in the 80's and 90's. The most complex character of the big three.

Superman? Eh. Big blue boyscout. The first movie with Chris Reeves was okay and I'll see the new one but I'm not particularly excited at this point.

Spider-Man is my second favorite. Fearing the new movie will get ignored somehow and suck-it like X-Men 3 did.

Third favorite could be Iron-Man, but not holding my breath.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
EmC

2006-06-27, 13:35

It is up. Spider Man 3 HD Teaser Trailer I can't watch it here at work. 5 o'clock must come faster.
Axl

2006-06-27, 13:36

Burton's Batman '89, as unfaithful as it is to the comic, is nevertheless waaayyy more entertaining than the new flick.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-27, 13:43

Wow...just watched the Spider-Man III teaser. That suit is cool!

As for the question above, I'm a Batman...uh, man. But I will be seeing "Superman Returns" tomorrow immediately after work. OR, if I'm a complete idiot and don't think it through completely, tonight at the midnight showing...

I loved the first Batman, in 1989. Such fun. The second one, with DeVito and Walken kinda creeped me out a bit, frankly. But it was okay. I'm not even going to acknowledge the third and fourth installments...

But I REALLY enjoyed last summer's "Batman Begins". Wasn't perfect, but it was rooted more "in the world" than Burton's weirdo-fests tend to be. And I appreciated Caine, Oldman and Freeman's presence. I would've done some things differently, but it's my favorite Batman film of the five, hands down. Just seemed like a "grown up" take on the subject. A good movie that just happened to be about some comic book guy in a cape.

But I do think these Spider-Man movies are the best of the bunch, as far as the good blend of action, drama, comedy and romance go. They have just the right amounts of each, and are well-written and -acted too. To me, they're really enjoyable to watch. I'll watch the first one anytime it's on USA or TNT. I imagine the second one will start showing up on cable TV soon enough too?

Anyway, cool teaser for III...go check it out!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_p.../spider-man_3/
EmC

2006-06-27, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl
Burton's Batman '89, as unfaithful as it is to the comic, is nevertheless waaayyy more entertaining than the new flick.
I may have a slightly skewed viewpoint. It was my bestfriends favorite movie when we were little. His mom would watch me durring school vacations. One Christmas Vacation I was expected to be over at thier house at 7:30( Mom worked 8 to 4 so she could be home with us in the afternoon). Not once in the whole three week vacation did I arrive and find that movie not playing on the T.V. Just not my favorite after watching it that many times. I did catch it the other week on TV, and watched, it was entertaining. Just not as much as the Begins movie. I respect that you have an opinion, but it sucks. Civil Discussions rock.

EmC

2006-06-27, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
... if I'm a complete idiot and don't think it through completely, tonight at the midnight showing...

Do it. Stay up late, work all day, then come here and do one of your signature pRants . Rants are always better and easier off the mind when you are tired.

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-27, 13:46

Are the same characters in it? I hate it when they change the actors. Ruins the movie.

EDIT: nevermind watched the trailer. Looks good.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-27, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmC
Do it. Stay up late, work all day, then come here and do one of your signature pRants . Rants are always better and easier off the mind when you are tired.
Why would I be ranting?

I might come give a REVIEW. I don't know. I always watch Denis Leary's "Rescue Me" on Tuesday nights...I'll have to see what I'm feeling like at 10:00pm...

If not tonight, then DEFINITELY tomorrow (along with the rest of the planet, I guess).
¡Damned!

2006-06-27, 14:19

It'll be interesting how 'they' decide to explain the appearance of the symbiote...probably some bullshit like the X3 Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix line...but whatever. I'm pretty excited anyways. From the trailer it looks like Harry is showing up as GG2, and if you look closely you'll also see Peter up in the church tower (notice the church bell ),
Spoiler (click to toggle):
so it also appears we'll be getting Eddie showing up as the 'real' Venom. Hmm. Will they mention the Sin-Eater? They'd almost have to.
So that's cool. Sandman is a plus, but I wonder how much time they'll actaully spend on him...
Spoiler (click to toggle):
or, god forbid, 'they' skip over a huge portion of Sandman's history (like his hero phase) and have Venom 'kill' him at the end. God, that would suck.

Oh, and Batman is by far my favorite character of the three, then Spider-man, and then...well, honestly I never had much use for the Big Blue Boy Scout...except for when Batman kicks the shit out of him in Frank Miller's Batman series.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-27, 14:26

I never followed the comics, so I'm COMPLETELY out to lunch on all the Venom, Sandman, black goo ("X Files"?) stuff. If anyone wants to give me a quick education/backstory on it (use spoiler tags or PM, if you want) that's totally cool).

Because I have NO idea what's going on in this teaser.
EmC

2006-06-27, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Why would I be ranting?
I guess as long as you don't go to the grocery store or have someone pull out in front of you it will all be ok.

I wasn't implying that you would hate the movie. More of a when people are tired they are grumpy and when people are grumpy they rant type thing. You are kind of known for your ranting. I like reading them because most the time I agree.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-06-27, 14:35

raised on spiderman...loved him as a kid...i think they have done a very good job with the spiderman movies

was never into batman or superman...was a marvel kid all the way

so spiderman was my fave, then fantastic four, the avengers, the Xmen and Iron man...

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Wrao
Yarp

2006-06-27, 14:37

The trailer looks rad, the movie looks rad, I'm stoked.

Spider-man has always been my favorite as well, which extends to a general preference to Marvel over DC, since, on average, Marvel characters seem to have more depth. Batman is of course the notable exception to that, and he remains my favorite DC character. Superman can go suck on zod
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-27, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Superman can go suck on zod
No spoilers!!! I haven't seen this yet.

Ghost2

2006-06-27, 20:23

The trailer I have seen seems to confirm much of the information in this interview. Before clicking on the link please note that the interview could possibly contain many significant spoilers.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-06-27, 21:14

I enjoy comic book movies, but there's getting to be way too many of them. Think about all the totally forgettable comic book movies over the last few years - Catwoman, Elektra, Fantastic Four - and multiply that by ten. That's what the next few years are going to be like. Tons of comic book movies are entering production, inspired by the success of X-Men and Spider-Man. Heck, you thought X3 was "The Last Stand?" Nope - there's three more X-Men movies in the works: "Wolverine," "Mystique," and the prequel, "Magneto."

Every comic book character you know (and even many you don't) will star in their own movie by the end of the decade. It's getting ridiculous. Hopefully, the studios will have the mercy to axe their remaining comic fare after the trend ends - I just can't wait to see the Thor movie three years after anyone cares.

As for current comic book movies, X-Men: The Last Stand is my favorite so far. The series reaches a climactic finale without feeling over-the-top - Peter Jackson should be taken notes. Brian Singer (X-Men and X2) had the bright idea to take the comic book seriously, and Brett Ratner (X3) continued that tone.

Compare that to Spider-Man, which has always seemed too...cheesy for my tastes. Batman Begins (my previous favorite comic book movie) successfully remained serious, to the point where at times it seemed like it was trying too hard.

I'm not that hopeful for the Superman movie. I've just never liked Superman - he's too...super. I mean, he has every superpower in the book, and he's invincible except for his one requisite weakness - where's the drama? Where's the excitement in the fighting scenes? We already know who's going to win. It's like any fight in the Matrix series after the 1,000-Agent-Smith "Burly Brawl." Neo can fight a thousand Agent Smiths at once, so why would we be excited when he fights just one? He's simply too powerful.

Superman has always felt the same way to me. It was never very tense, because we already knew who was going to win. His name is freakin' Superman, for crying out loud.

I'm also wary for Superman Returns simply because it's been in Development Hell for so long. They had teaser posters printed a decade ago. Back then, Tim Burton was directing it. Superman was going to be killed by Doomsday, but then come back to life (even more "super" than before). It was called "Superman Lives," and the posters read, "Coming 1998."

Ten years, three directors, and countless rewrites later, it's finally hitting the big screen. I'm worried that "Superman Returns" did not escape its messy development unscathed.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Partial
Stallion

2006-11-14, 23:17

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_p.../spider-man_3/

http://www.ifilm.com/presents/spiderman3
eulersmethod

Send a message via AIM to eulersmethod  
2006-11-18, 12:46

yeah alot of the studios jumped on the X-men wagon. but as to why they have become so popular with the public, is another matter. in my opinion i believe people recognize that the world is as in a shitty situation as it has ever been, and in some kind of level, they are looking for a hero now more than ever.

i personally don't have a problem with superman, i love the idea behind his character. its the same idea that has always resonated with every person in history, an individual who is prepared to use all his might, intellect and energy to fihgt for those who need protection, superman is in essence our Hercules. i think that type of self sacrifice sparks something in our subconscious that is inherently good. if there is such a thing. and superman's theme song doesn't hurt either

x-men is a great metaphor for civil right movements,spiderman and batman deal a lot with inner pain, which everyone can relate to.

as long as the movies are written and made well, i have no problem with them.
Wraven

2007-03-06, 09:55

I figured this would be a good place to post an update...

TODAY ONLY on NBC's web site there is a 7 minute 31 second long HD preview of Spider-Man 3 (referenced last night on Heroes). I watched it this morning, and it looks great. Available in 480p or 720p (no 1080p, though I don't really care since my PowerBook can't handle 1080p ). Hope you enjoy!

Again, TODAY ONLY (though I'm sure there will be a Torrent of it somewhere, and I saved it as well).

Cheers,
Wraven
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-06, 10:43

Holy cow, that Harry/Peter (hahahahaha...that's not right) chase sequence was incredible!

Dizzying, but incredible. Great FX! That'll be something to see on a big screen, with all the surround sound stuff in play.

Can't wait to see this movie!

These Spiderman flicks are, IMO, the best of all of them. Just a great blend of action, humor, drama, sweetness, tension and romance. The right director, the right actors, good writing and snazzy CGI that serves the story. "Comic book movies" done right. They don't take themselves too seriously, but they do justice to the material and it's great escapist fun...the ultimate popcorn movies. And you don't feel weird or embarrassed walking out into the world afterwards.

I've not been disappointed yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing this third one. I'll be there opening night, most likely.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-03-06, 11:53

Sandman looks huge... I'm looking foward on this one too.

I'm not that hard to satisfy. Good CGI and I'm in. Not so easy cause I tought Fantastic Four sucked but you know what I mean.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
¡Damned!

2007-03-06, 14:42

Ooh. Nice ending with Venom's fangs. Color me excited.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-03-06, 15:48

The trailer sold me. I'm in for this one too. I also saved a copy in case someone needs a mirror later. Since it's so large though, I'm not going to post a link for the world.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-06, 15:59

It's amazing, comparing these movies to last summer's "Superman Returns".

The complete textbook on how - and not - to do superhero/comic book movies, IMO. Superman is, hands down, the bigger icon and should've been quite a thing to see (and given these Spiderman and X-Men movies something to think about). But it was so flat, joyless and lame (it was as if they'd skipped right to the fourth Batman flick, with Schwarenegger, etc.).

Most movies (the four Burton and Schumacher Batman flicks) get more lame and more removed from what makes them cool the longer they go on. "Superman Returns" pretty much sucked right out of the gate, didn't it?

I could watch one of these Raimi/Tobey Spiderman movies every 3-4 years and enjoy it. I really believe that.

But I don't ever want to see another Superman movie involving any of those puddingheads involved in last summer's: not Brian Singer, not Kate Bosworth, not Spacey, etc.

Never thought I'd say that either...with the talent involved (and modern CGI and digital technology being what it is), that should've been the superhero movie to end them all. Instead, it's at Blockbuster...not getting rented by anyone.

I'd rent "Daredevil" or that Halle Berry Catwoman turd before I'd watch it again.

I wonder how long they could go with this Spiderman series? I'm not up on the comics...what major villains, if any, have they not touched on in these three movies? Anyone left? Or do they leave some standing from this movie to fight again?

¡Damned!

2007-03-06, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I wonder how long they could go with this Spiderman series? I'm not up on the comics...what major villains, if any, have they not touched on in these three movies? Anyone left? Or do they leave some standing from this movie to fight again?
I'd guess with the introduction of Venom in Spider-Man 3, it would make sense to bring on Carnage in Spider-Man 4. Spidey, Venom and Carnage together would make a fine sequel.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-03-06, 22:27

Ran like ass on my 1.67Mhz P-P-P-Powerbook.
Guess anything does when you don't restart it for a couple of weeks, edit a Cupfight!!! video and a Vigilante video two nights in a row then try to d/l a humongous video whilst drinking a glass of water and reciting a rather lurid passage from The Amazing Adventures of Captain Gladys Stoat-Pamphlet and her Intrepid..... well, you know.

So I'm d/l'ing the smaller vid now.
One wonders: Do it save w/ QT Pro?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-03-06, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
...snip...
Yes it do.

Oh, and I had to watch it on my wife's MB. My G4 Mini couldn't handle it at all. I think it got 1 frame a minute, or something close to that anyway.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2007-03-06, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Ran like ass on my 1.67Mhz P-P-P-Powerbook.
Guess anything does when you don't restart it for a couple of weeks, edit a Cupfight!!! video and a Vigilante video two nights in a row then try to d/l a humongous video whilst drinking a glass of water and reciting a rather lurid passage from The Amazing Adventures of Captain Gladys Stoat-Pamphlet and her Intrepid..... well, you know.

So I'm d/l'ing the smaller vid now.
I'm more of a fan of Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-03-06, 23:40

<off_hero>I've not seen every episode of the Superman TV show but it would have been infinitely more satisfying than that terrible, terrible film.</off_hero>