User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Recurring reddish sink stain. Rust? Removal?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Recurring reddish sink stain. Rust? Removal?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-01-29, 23:11

Anyone here have any experience with sink rust problems? Wifey and I tend to keep our home spotless, especially in the kitchen and bathroom, but over the past half-year or so, our bathroom sink has started to develop what I think is a rust problem.

There are a few small dings and scratches on one side near the drain and over time a reddish stain forms in and around them. Is this rust?

I tried some calcium/lime/rust remover from the cleaning section at my grocery store, but it didn't seem to help. I searched online for other rust remedies and read that lemon juice works wonders and tried that. Sure enough, soaking a pool of lemon juice overnight dissolved all but a few tiny specs of the red.

Unfortunately, the stain keeps coming back after a couple weeks.

The sink faucet does not drip when shut off. That's one thing I've read that can cause rust.

Have any of you ever dealt with a problem like this before? Does anyone here have any idea how I can more permanently fix this issue? Is there some kind of sealant I need to buy and apply to my sink over these scratches and dings that seem to be a magnet for this red stuff?

Help!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-29, 23:22

Call a priest; sounds demonic to me.

But seriously, I've used that tile/porcelain stuff from Dow(?) to get rid of the worst stuff. Pretty good luck. Comes in a green and blue bottle, kinda foamy. Spray, set and scrub. I've used it on darker, reddish stains that (I assume) were rust or some odd discoloration.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-01-30, 00:04

My vote goes for new sink. That shit drives me nuts in the bathtub. OCD in the house.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-01-30, 00:14

New sink probably isn't an option as we rent an apartment. We've been here for three and a half years, but this issue only started cropping up a few months ago.

I'll probably talk to the folks at the main office soon to ask for advice. The maintenance guy here is pretty nice and an honest guy. So, if there's anything he can do, I'm sure he'll say so.

I was hoping to resolve it myself, though, if possible.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-01-30, 00:15

You could remove the chrome pieces and seal the sink underneath. I'm sure that's why it keeps coming back.

Or just keep cleaning the stain when you notice it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-01-30, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
You could remove the chrome pieces and seal the sink underneath. I'm sure that's why it keeps coming back.

Or just keep cleaning the stain when you notice it.
Yeah. Or maybe you can find a piece that isn't metallic to replace the stopper and little ring. Probably just the ring lining.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2009-01-30, 00:21

Actually, I might think that's bacteria that forms when alkaline water sits for awhile...that's what the red stuff in the shower usually is, anyway. Make sure all the soap is rinsed off and goes down the drain, rather than leaving any bubbles. :P

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-01-30, 00:22

The metal hardware they sell for sinks are made out of SHIT.

SHIT
SHIT
SHIT
SHIT
SHIT

It rusts as you begin moving it from the package toward the hole in the bottom of the porcelain sink bowl.

It does this because it is made from SHIT.

Sealing it in is the trick, and I believe that I need somebody to give me some tips so that the rusty metal doesn't stain the pink porcelain in the sink into a

SHITTY BROWN COLOR

Gah.
/why so furious?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-01-30, 00:33

Say what you mean man... Don't mince yr words!

You should try living in Thailand. Stuff is made from REJECT SHIT here!

Stainless Steel is only stainless when shrink wrapped in bomb proof plastic...
Iron things are made from SHIT MIXED WITH MUD.
And plastic is only really 10% plastic. The rest is papier-mache or something.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-01-30, 00:44

CLR.

That shit totally works as advertised. Love it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-01-30, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
CLR.

That shit totally works as advertised. Love it.
I used an off-brand of it. No luck, surprisingly. Maybe I should try the real deal?

edit: Actually, I did use the name-brand CLR. Curious that it didn't help, but I didn't let it set overnight. How long have you let it set?

And thanks, everyone, for the ideas! I'll be sure to make note about a replacement metal stopper hardware if/when I talk to maintenance.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-01-30, 00:59

Yes, it is rust. Most porcelain sinks of a certain age are actually just a porcelain shell over an iron core. The cracks or chipped porcelain allows moisture to get in and rust is all but guaranteed. The exposed bit doesn't have to be under water constantly to rust -- just a little bit is all that is necessary. There are several commercially available sealants -- just google or ask at your local hardward store.

Oh, and lemon juice works because the acid dissolves the rust...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-01-30, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Yes, it is rust. Most porcelain sinks of a certain age are actually just a porcelain shell over an iron core. The cracks or chipped porcelain allows moisture to get in and rust is all but guaranteed. The exposed bit doesn't have to be under water constantly to rust -- just a little bit is all that is necessary. There are several commercially available sealants -- just google or ask at your local hardward store.
Excellent explanation of what I'm seeing. Thanks, billybobsky! I'll head out to Lowes this weekend and ask for recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Oh, and lemon juice works because the acid dissolves the rust...
Yup! That's what I thought.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-30, 08:08

Sealant FTW. Good explanation indeed Bobsky... I didn't realize that porcelain appliances are just covered up iron. Makes sense when you think about it though. I always figured it was the piping / metal drain rim that caused it (seeping up from where it's threaded into the sink). Unfortunately, we get this with our toilets underneath where the water jets down, causing streaks the entire length of the bowl (no comments!). I guess we have iron toilets... and the house is less than 10 years old. Bastard builders!

...into the light of a dark black night.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-01-30, 08:29

You're not going to get rid of it totally 'till you clean the rust away totally, let it dry totally, then seal it somehow to prevent water from reaching the metal again.

That might be impossible, but I'd try cleaning it as well as possible in whatever manner you have found that cleans the rust, then let it totally dry for some period of time, preferably with one of those infra-red lights shining on it to totally remove the moisture... then seal it with some kind of sealer.

For that, NASA used Scotchguard for some time to prevent the ceramic tiles on the shuttle from absorbing water... I'd use some kind of ceramic tile sealer used for bathroom tiles and grout... something in that line of products.

real hackers don't use sigs
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-30, 20:12

Trying to picture the look on my wife's face if she caught me spraying Scotchguard around the toilet rim... "it seals out the rust, honey!"
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-01-30, 20:19

Out damn spot! </ladyMacbeth>
CitizenTony

2009-01-31, 07:33

One of my bathtubs has a spot on the edge that looks exactly like that. Rust for sure. It came about from the previous owner using some sort of extremely abrasive sponge or 36 grit sandpaper to clean everything with.

All of the chrome fixtures have rough spots and are starting to rust too.
Freewell

2009-02-01, 03:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Call a priest; sounds demonic to me.

But seriously, I've used that tile/porcelain stuff from Dow(?) to get rid of the worst stuff. Pretty good luck. Comes in a green and blue bottle, kinda foamy. Spray, set and scrub. I've used it on darker, reddish stains that (I assume) were rust or some odd discoloration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The metal hardware they sell for sinks are made out of SHIT.

SHIT
SHIT
SHIT
SHIT
SHIT

It rusts as you begin moving it from the package toward the hole in the bottom of the porcelain sink bowl.

It does this because it is made from SHIT.

Sealing it in is the trick, and I believe that I need somebody to give me some tips so that the rusty metal doesn't stain the pink porcelain in the sink into a

SHITTY BROWN COLOR

Gah.
/why so furious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Say what you mean man... Don't mince yr words!

You should try living in Thailand. Stuff is made from REJECT SHIT here!

Stainless Steel is only stainless when shrink wrapped in bomb proof plastic...
Iron things are made from SHIT MIXED WITH MUD.
And plastic is only really 10% plastic. The rest is papier-mache or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Trying to picture the look on my wife's face if she caught me spraying Scotchguard around the toilet rim... "it seals out the rust, honey!"

You guys are just hysterical!!! Thanks for great laughs!!

Yep Brad, as you have discovered, it is the vile menace, Rust! Every once in awhile I can persuade a stubborn porcelain rust spot to vacate with a good squirt of Whink... A magical concoction that is sold in most grocery stores, inconspicuously tucked on an isle somewhere that usually has no rhyme or reason as to why in the world it would be located there, and is kept in revered anonymity by completely clueless personnel! It is a rust removal product specifically designed for and works absolute wonders on fabric! I never stay home without it!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-02-01, 03:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenTony View Post
All of the chrome fixtures have rough spots and are starting to rust too.
I bet those were made in Thailand or China!!!

Seriously. I have "designer" stainless steel / chrome arty farty standard lamps with two or three bendy fixtures sprouting from the top. Bought in Thailand. Two years old, only ever been in the sitting room, and they look like they have brown mushrooms growing on them!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-02-07, 21:20

So, progress! Sort of.

Last Saturday, I went to the local Lowes hardware store and looked around the sink/bathroom appliance areas. I asked one employee for assistance, explaining the situation, and he directed me to another guy who would be able to solve my problem. Guy number two confidently directed me to this "Porcelain Chip Fix" stuff, assuring me that it was exactly what I needed for the little scratches and dings I described.

I took it home, read the instructions, and started mixing up the epoxy. I let it sit for a few minutes before applying and lightly sanded the area, as instructed, but as soon as I touched the mix with an applicator, I was already suspicious from the texture that it wasn't quite what I wanted.

I boldly moved on, though, and applied a white splotch over the affected area. Sure, it would dry to be an obvious splotch over the porcelain, but at least it wouldn't be seeping rust. Right?

Fast forward two full days of letting it set and dry. I turned on the faucet to wash my hands and everything seemed okay. Later that night, I used the sink again (after my wife had also used it once or twice) and noticed a curious lump forming where I'd applied the epoxy. I barely touch the thing and... shloop... the whole blob of epoxy sloughs off in three little rubbery chunks.

Great.

So, now I'm back to square one, possibly a little worse off since I also lightly sanded a small patch. *shrug*