Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod shuffle problems
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-21, 14:30

Trouble in Paradise?

Quote:
iPod shuffle AAC SNAFU warning

Apple is warning of an AAC problem that may affect its new iPod shuffle.

A technological note posted on the company's support Web site reveals that some AAC files that were not encoded using iTunes may not play on the tiny new music player.

"If you try to play a song on iPod shuffle that was encoded in AAC format (.M4A) by an application other than iTunes, iPod shuffle may not play it and skip to the next song. To prevent this from happening, always use iTunes to encode songs to AAC for iPod shuffle play," Apple advises.

Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store work fine, Apple says.
Macworld UK article

Quote:
iPod shuffle leaves eMac, iMac G3 users hanging

Apple Computer's newly designed iPod shuffle digital music player is not directly compatible with the USB port on some computers, including the company's own line of iMac G3 and eMac computers, AppleInsider has learned.

The issue, which reportedly stems from the width of iPod shuffle, also affects Apple's ADC-based 17-inch Studio Display and certain Xserve configurations.

To charge iPod shuffle on an iMac G3 or eMac computer, users will need an optional accessory to reach the port. Apple is aware of the incompatibility and is quietly suggesting that iMac G3 and eMac owners circumvent the problem by making an additional purchase of an iPod shuffle Dock or a USB extension cable.
AppleInsider article

Neither will effect me should I choose to buy an i'shuffle, so I'm not too worried...
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-22, 00:25

Yeah, i'm sure they are working on a firm update right now...

this won't slow sales...not one bit. lol
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2005-01-22, 02:38

Actually, it's more than a 'problem' with the iPod Shuffle... I upgraded to iTunes 4.7.1 only to discover that two CDs I ripped to AAC on a Windows Machine (with MusicMatch) wouldn't play in 4.7.1. Crazy. They play fine in QT, the finder, and others, but iTunes is being snobbish. It just gives a generic "this computer is not authorized to play songname" error.

I cry foul - my guess is that it's another anti-piracy shit thing. Grief. Another change in 4.7.1 is that you can only have five users per day connect to your library. Not a big deal to me since I'm off the main campus network this year, but a lot of my friends are hurtin'
Charlie

2005-01-22, 12:29

I was one of 50 in line at Montgomery Mall in MD before the 9 am opening today (1-22-05) to purchase the ipod shuffle. Folks flowed in an orderly manner and I saw maybe four or five people leave with a bag, one had two ipods when they announced they had run out in five minutes. Then a few minutes later the word was that it was a similar situation at Tyson's Coner, Virginia. Needless to say people were more than just a bit unhappy having braved the snow warnings and a wait outside the store. I hung around when most had left when a new customer arrived asking for the product. The clerk said they were all sold out since they had 40 people in the store a few minutes ago. I spoke up and said that there were no way 40 ipods sold as he was implying. How many did you have I inquired, he said he wasn't permitted to give out that information. The woman manager went by shaking her head saying it was her birthday and she shouldn't have to face so many unhappy customers. Well you get the picture. The store employees were put in an unncessary position and not trained in how to deal with the situation. The customers left empty handed on a very unhappy note. Why open the store an hour early and announce that fact and then not have enought to last what was less than five minutes. A big boo for Apple's retailing management!
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-22, 13:45

lol, goes to show people are stupid for fads..A big boo to people who go out in snowstorms for a iPod.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-22, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost
I cry foul - my guess is that it's another anti-piracy shit thing. Grief. Another change in 4.7.1 is that you can only have five users per day connect to your library. Not a big deal to me since I'm off the main campus network this year, but a lot of my friends are hurtin'
That's huge!

I hear that especially on American College campuses iTunes sharing is a major deal. I think Apple is slowly caving into Music industry pressure...

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-22, 16:02

But you can't even download the songs that you get from streams! I mean, you can, but you have to put some effort into finding a program that can do it, or take the time to record using WireTap or Audio Hijack. That's just dumb.

I like how Apple's solutions to the problems that THEY CREATED are "buy more stuff from us" or "always use our products and no one else's." The burden of fixing the problems should lie on their shoulders, not the customers'.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-22, 19:42

We're going off-topic here, but I think iTunes sharing actually benefits music sales. How many times have you listened to a song from someone else's library and liked it enough to go out and buy it? More than once I expect. Listening to the radio, using iTunes sharing and borrowing CDs from friends/libraries etc—these are all ways of potential customers exposing themselves to new music and becoming customers. It is as if the Music Industry is ignorant of this and hung up on people "getting things for free".

bouncy bouncy
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2005-01-22, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
But you can't even download the songs that you get from streams! I mean, you can, but you have to put some effort into finding a program that can do it, or take the time to record using WireTap or Audio Hijack. That's just dumb.

I like how Apple's solutions to the problems that THEY CREATED are "buy more stuff from us" or "always use our products and no one else's." The burden of fixing the problems should lie on their shoulders, not the customers'.
Sounds like you never heard of OurTunes. It's an amazing little crossplatform java app that connects to all libraries when you open it, downloads all the song lists, and then promptly disconnects. Within five minutes, you have a searchable database of 200,000 songs at your fingertips (And I attend a small 800 student liberal arts school... and not everyone lives on campus! Just imagine a state uni). Double-click on one and it reconnects to the library, downloads it, and disconnects again. Amazing. This update, of course, completely kills it.
Quagmire
meh

2005-01-22, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
lol, goes to show people are stupid for fads..A big boo to people who go out in snowstorms for a iPod.
Hey, I would brave a snowstorm just to go see a flagship store open in Georgetown and get the free t-shirt!

On topic, wow, that sucks but, should have a minimal effect since most people with an iPod use iTunes for their music. With the eMac and iMac G3 owners I have sympathy for you.

giggity