User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

iPhone Rebate People, What Did Buy With Your $100?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone Rebate People, What Did Buy With Your $100?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-09-17, 12:43

Just curious, what did you buy with your $100 rebate? Or are you hanging onto it for a planned purchase in the near future?

The $100 was definitely burning a hole in my pocket, then Apple released Logic Studio, which messed up all my silly plans. Had originally planned to blow it on the new keyboard and maybe some kind of iPod / iPhone accessory. Then I was thinking about upgrading my old version of FCE2. Now I'm thinking about one of the m-audio MIDI controllers and maybe Logic Express or even Logic Studio since it's much more affordable with tons of functionality.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-17, 12:49

I guess the plan is to just hang on to mine, and put toward the purchase of my new Mac at some point. There's really nothing I need, accessory- or software-wise, from Apple at this time.

Actually, if I can use it to easily renew my .Mac subscription, I'll do that (that's my first choice, truth be told). Otherwise, I'll just hang on to it until it's time to get a new Mac.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-17, 13:19

I'm going to see about putting it to renew my .Mac subscription. I don't know exactly how that works, if I have to buy a retail box, and if so, how I then use that to continue my current membership.

I was going to use it on an iPod touch or iPhone for my gf, but the lack of adding appointments in the calendar kills that (she would at least need to replace her iPod nano and Zire), and she can't really afford the extra $15 per month of phone charges right now. So that will wait, while I might as well use the rebate on something now and that's essentially the same as saving money for her gift later.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-09-17, 13:26

Buon,

You can buy a boxed version of .mac from the Apple Store at Southpoint. There's a code in there that you use to renew your .mac. If you've ever bought a "boxed" AppleCare, it's similar to that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-17, 13:41

Oh, I didn't know that. I was afraid that if I bought the boxed version, it treats you like a new subscriber and I'd get into some ugly "this account already exists" type of hassle. But if there's a code there for renewals, maybe I will just go ahead and order my .Mac box online...

Shipping should be free, and tax is only about $8 for me. Not bad.

Now if Apple only announce that .Mac is dropping to $69 a year...

I'd buy it and a $25 iTunes card.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-09-17, 15:28

IIRC .Mac is only $70 if you buy "boxed version" in store. I had an Apple Retail guy tell me that once. Worth a look at least.

I'll be holding onto mine until Leopard comes out.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-09-17, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
IIRC .Mac is only $70 if you buy "boxed version" in store. I had an Apple Retail guy tell me that once. Worth a look at least.

I'll be holding onto mine until Leopard comes out.
.Mac is $69 if you buy it with a Mac, but it's $99 the rest of the time.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-09-17, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
.Mac is $69 if you buy it with a Mac, but it's $99 the rest of the time.
I know that's the case, but I could swear that when I bought it in store the guy told me if I renewed in store as well it'd still be $69... I'm probably wrong but I remember the conversation nevertheless.

Website | Twitter
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-17, 16:08

Worth going 10 minutes out of my way to Southpoint then. Worst that can happen is I get $100 off!
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-09-17, 17:07

I have 300 back, so i bought the bluetooth headset from apple. OMG i love it!! it is uber sexy and cool, it fits well and the dock is the best thing created for those who forget to charge things a lot. I still have 160 left over now, i am nit sure what i am going to do with it. I might buy a nano for my boy toy for his birthday. I think he might like that, he just bought his first mac though he is a sony fan he wants to do video editing so he must go into the light that is apple
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-09-17, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souflay123 View Post
I have 300 back, so i bought the bluetooth headset from apple. OMG i love it!! it is uber sexy and cool, it fits well and the dock is the best thing created for those who forget to charge things a lot. I still have 160 left over now, i am nit sure what i am going to do with it. I might buy a nano for my boy toy for his birthday. I think he might like that, he just bought his first mac though he is a sony fan he wants to do video editing so he must go into the light that is apple
Are you *trying* to make screensaver400 upset?
Souflay123

2007-09-17, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Are you *trying* to make screensaver400 upset?
lol, no.... if i was trying, that would contend that i care what he thinks. We are over (and he said some pretty bad things to me) he is being erased from my memory as one of my number one mistakes that i have made over the years. I am starting fresh and enjoying life now.... :-D
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-09-17, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
... and a $25 iTunes card.
I didn't think the rebate could be used for iTunes cards, or can it just not be used directly in the iTunes store?

Some or all of my $100 will go into iTunes cards if that's possible.

(Sorry if this has been asked/covered already; I'm still in Mexico for work and haven't been online as much. Thanks.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-17, 21:11

Yeah, word came out over the weekend I believe. The $100 can indeed be used to purchase iTunes gift cards (but not to enter into your account directly). I know I read this somewhere (some tech blog or site I don't normally visit, so I can't remember). But I remember that being the headline, how Apple updated their terms to allow this.

I'll try to find it so you can see it with your own eyes (however, they've not updated this at Apple's site in the $100 rebate FAQ.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-09-17, 21:13

Quote:
Yeah, word came out over the weekend I believe. The $100 can indeed be used to purchase iTunes gift cards (but not to enter into your account directly). I know I read this somewhere (some tech blog or site I don't normally visit, so I can't remember). But I remember that being the headline, how Apple updated their terms to allow this.

I'll try to find it so you can see it with your own eyes (however, they've not updated this at Apple's site in the $100 rebate FAQ.
You've got to physically buy the cards in a store, you can't buy them online or through the iTunes Store, but yeah, you can use your credit for iTunes.

Website | Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-17, 21:15

There. Yeah, that.

Originally word was you couldn't even buy the iTunes in the stores, so at least they wised-up and relaxed that a bit.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-09-17, 21:20

Jawbone. Going to have to mod it a bit to fit my ear though.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-17, 21:21

Anyone thinking about picking up a bunch of iTunes cards should keep in mind that $100 would buy four of the $25 PRODUCT (RED) cards, thus giving you mucho music and giving $10 to the Global Fund.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
apple007
BANNED

2007-09-17, 21:36

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
You've got to physically buy the cards in a store, you can't buy them online or through the iTunes Store, but yeah, you can use your credit for iTunes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Anyone thinking about picking up a bunch of iTunes cards should keep in mind that $100 would buy four of the $25 PRODUCT (RED) cards, thus giving you mucho music and giving $10 to the Global Fund.
Muchas gracias, amigos.

That's great news. The rebate wasn't expected nor required but I don't really need anything Apple-related at the moment and was hoping the $100 could be used for iTunes purchases. It looks like I'll have to wait until I get back to the U.S. but the above was all good news. Thanks again.

(Thanks to some great advice from 'torifile' and a couple others back in late June, I made out like a bandit with my iPhone purchase. I switched to AT&T from Verizon via Amazon.com and received two Sony Ericsson w810i phones for $0.02 plus a $200 rebate. I then sold the two w810i phones online for $405 (combined), which had my 8GB iPhone costing me a net $37 ($642 minus $605). With this $100 Apple rebate, I'll actually come out $63 ahead.)
Souflay123

2007-09-17, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Jawbone. Going to have to mod it a bit to fit my ear though.
if you have the same issue i had with it, just get the apple one. i like it just as much as the jawbone but it is hella more sexy.... and isn't that what us apple people are all about, the sexiness of your electronics
apple007
BANNED

2007-09-17, 22:00

Slightly off-topic but just as a quick update, I just applied for my rebate while sitting in a coffee shop in Mexico and the entire process -- filling out qualification form, receiving text message, entering code online and saving/printing the rebate form -- took about 3 minutes. I figured I would need my receipt and UPC code, etc., but this was very impressive. If only all rebates were this easy.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-09-17, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souflay123
i like it just as much as the jawbone but it is hella more sexy
What could be sexier than the Jawbone?

Eugene
careful with axes

2007-09-17, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souflay123 View Post
if you have the same issue i had with it, just get the apple one. i like it just as much as the jawbone but it is hella more sexy.... and isn't that what us apple people are all about, the sexiness of your electronics
Like any traditional earbud, the Apple would be completely incompatible with my ear. I don't have a prominent fold at the front of my ear.
shatteringglass

2007-09-17, 22:43

I bought an Apple iPhone Bluetooth Headset with my rebate, and promptly returned it. It was a piece of junk. While it fit really well, the range was terrible (5-10 feet at best before you get static). Also, any object, such as my hand, that would come in between the iPhone and the headset would immediately result in interference.

I haven't tried the Jawbone, but I think for I'll just stick to what I have for now, which is a 2 year old headset that works remarkably well with my iPhone.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-09-17, 22:58

Swapped it with a friend (who is an Apple fanboi) for a bag of smack.
shatteringglass

2007-09-17, 23:05

Quite possibly the best purchase made with a $100 Apple Store credit.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-17, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
The vixen wearing it?

That's an interesting little earpiece thing...it looks like a Band-Aid.

Since I don't keep up with this kind of stuff, how does it compare to the Apple one in terms of specs and price?
Souflay123

2007-09-17, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post

Just because the model is pretty, does not make the item hella sexy. because if that was the case everything from Prada would be amazing (and Jeremy Piven, from entourage, should start his own line)
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-09-18, 00:46

i bought some speakers for my macbook
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-18, 01:09

What kind did you get? I'm not even up one what's out there in the ~$100 speaker market right now. I've had - and been happy with - these JBL Creature speakers for about four or so years now. I never think to look around and see what's on the scene.

These Creatures look like little Darth Vader helmets (except they're white).