User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How to stop certain songs playing when using "shuffle songs" on iPod

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to stop certain songs playing when using "shuffle songs" on iPod
Mikester

2006-07-03, 09:35

I have a 5th gen. video iPod. When playing songs using the "shuffle songs" function, it plays songs that I don't want it to play. Is there a way to stop this? I tried unchecking the songs on iTunes but that hasn't done it.

Sorry if this repeats a previous thread - I did do a search but counldn't find anything.

Thanks

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-03, 09:38

Take them off your ipod.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-07-03, 10:09

Or just make a playlist, put all the songs on your library on it, and remove those that you don't want to play in shuffle mode, then just shuffle the playlist
Mikester

2006-07-03, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
Take them off your ipod.

Not an option. I want the songs to be on my iPod for when I do want to listen to them, but I don't want them to play in the shuffle function. Mainly this relates to classical music tracks - sometimes I want to listen to them but they ruin the vibe if they pop up uninvited.

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
Mikester

2006-07-03, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey
Or just make a playlist, put all the songs on your library on it, and remove those that you don't want to play in shuffle mode, then just shuffle the playlist
How do you shuffle a playlist on the iPod?
Enki

2006-07-03, 17:29

You choose the playlist, then choose shuffle.

This is how my wife and I can share a music library and an iPod but retain a semblance of marital bliss. It's also a great way to set up holiday tunes, a workout set or an All Jimmy All day escape to the islands.
Mikester

2006-07-04, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki
You choose the playlist, then choose shuffle.

This is how my wife and I can share a music library and an iPod but retain a semblance of marital bliss. It's also a great way to set up holiday tunes, a workout set or an All Jimmy All day escape to the islands.
Sorry if I'm being a moron, but when I select a playlist, there is no shuffle option.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-07-04, 14:58

All you do is set your iPod to shuffle mode. This will make it shuffle anything you play. Any playlist, your library, etc..

Settings --> Shuffle --> Shuffle Songs

Hope this helps
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-07-04, 15:07

Yeah, the menu option "Shuffle Songs" doesn't enable or disable the Shuffle feature, it simply starts playing your entire library in random order. I don't like it because I almost never want to hear a random selection from my ENTIRE library. Just use playlists and make sure Shuffle is enabled in the settings.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-04, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Yeah, the menu option "Shuffle Songs" doesn't enable or disable the Shuffle feature, it simply starts playing your entire library in random order. I don't like it because I almost never want to hear a random selection from my ENTIRE library. Just use playlists and make sure Shuffle is enabled in the settings.
This is my one beef with the iPod. I don't care to make playlists since my mood changes and so does the library. Seems to be an ever updating task. I know there are smart playlist, but even they are only so smart.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Mikester

2006-07-05, 02:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey
All you do is set your iPod to shuffle mode. This will make it shuffle anything you play. Any playlist, your library, etc..

Settings --> Shuffle --> Shuffle Songs

Hope this helps
A-ha! I was being a moron! Thanks for your help.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-07-05, 06:35

I wish you didn't have to dig through 3 layers of menus to get to shuffle for your playlist. Or I wish that you could select which playlist was shuffled when you chose "shuffle songs" from the top of the menu. I've got tons of stuff that I don't want to listen to when I'm listening to music (like audiobooks or podcasts) but they still get shuffled in there.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-05, 06:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
I wish you didn't have to dig through 3 layers of menus to get to shuffle for your playlist. Or I wish that you could select which playlist was shuffled when you chose "shuffle songs" from the top of the menu. I've got tons of stuff that I don't want to listen to when I'm listening to music (like audiobooks or podcasts) but they still get shuffled in there.
I think it should be like it is in Front Row. Select your playlist, and then either select a song to start playing from or shuffle from there. That would be great.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-05, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
I think it should be like it is in Front Row. Select your playlist, and then either select a song to start playing from or shuffle from there. That would be great.
I don't have Front Row (even tried the hack, but couldn't figure it out), so I don't know how it does this...

With the iPod, they could have a "Shuffle These Songs..." selection at the bottom of any playlist. Navigate to whatever playlist/album/whatever that you'd want to hear, flick it down to the bottom, then press Play. Use the Select button to toggle the shuffle on & off.
dudukike

2012-03-29, 10:01

I know this is an old post and everyone should know the answer by now but just in case for future readers and future reference to skip a song when shuffling do the following:

1. Select the song you want to skip when shuffling
2. Right click on it and then click on "Get Info"
3. On the new window select the "Options" tab
4. Check the "Skip When Shuffling" option (If doing more than one song at the time, confirm it by selecting "Yes" from the drop down)
5. Click ok

You can do multiple songs at the same time

Just keep in mind these song will never play automatically when shuffling, so if you have them in a playlist and your iPod settings are to to "Always Shuffle" the song that will play is the song you select and only that song will play. You will have to select other songs individually.