AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

1st gen iPod nano recall

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
1st gen iPod nano recall
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-11-14, 04:35

Just putting it out there for you all.

Battery overheating issue - Apple providing a replacement for a five year old model. Nice.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

Quote:
Apple has determined that, in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.

This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect. While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages.

Apple recommends that you stop using your iPod nano (1st gen) and follow the process noted below to order a replacement unit, free of charge.

Note: This battery issue is specific to the iPod nano (1st gen) and does not affect any other iPod.

Replacement Process
You may order a replacement unit via the web. Click here to begin.

Your iPod nano serial number will be checked to verify that it is eligible for this program. You will receive a replacement unit approximately 6 weeks after we receive your current iPod nano (1st gen).

If you have a personalized iPod nano, you will receive a non-personalized replacement. Make sure to use iTunes to back up any data on your current iPod nano before sending it in for a replacement unit.

Additional Information
Identifying an iPod nano (1st gen):

It has a black or white plastic front and a silver metal back - later iPod nano models have a metal front and back. See images on this web page.
If you need assistance with placing an order, please visit an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) and bring your iPod nano with you for serial number validation.

Your replacement iPod product is warranted to be free from defects for 90 days from the date of service.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2011-11-14, 12:22

I had one but the click wheel crapped out due to some issue with the material what was used to create the touch wheel. It worked if you stuck it in the freezer for a bit.

I gave it to the kiddo and he did what Dad would do, took it apart. Oh well.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2012-01-17, 04:20

I was delivered a brand new 6th generation Nano yesterday, I've got another being delivered today and I've got another 1st generation Nano to send off to Apple too. Searching in cupboards at my parents house turned out being rather fruitful!
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-01-17, 09:18

Nice one.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-01-17, 17:06

My sister received her new sixth-gen "crackerPod" two weeks ago.

Truth be told, I think I'd rather them send me a second-hand fourth-gen (in orange or green) than one of these goofball new square ones!
YouOweNut

Send a message via AIM to YouOweNut  
2012-02-06, 18:15

Has anyone else done this recently? I read in various places that it was a 6 week turnaround. Not that I can't live without it, I still have my iPod Touch after all. But after trying to use the touch while driving it made me have second thoughts about replacing my last clickwheel iPod with another touch screen.

Might try and sell the 6th gen on ebay then buy a 4th or 5th gen with the sale money. Probably won't get much for it though since it looks like a lot of people are selling their refurb replacements.
Quagmire
meh

2012-02-06, 18:25

Mine is still Pending since January 10th......

This is my plan for it.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-02-07, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouOweNut View Post
Has anyone else done this recently? I read in various places that it was a 6 week turnaround. Not that I can't live without it, I still have my iPod Touch after all. But after trying to use the touch while driving it made me have second thoughts about replacing my last clickwheel iPod with another touch screen.

Might try and sell the 6th gen on ebay then buy a 4th or 5th gen with the sale money. Probably won't get much for it though since it looks like a lot of people are selling their refurb replacements.
Touch screens have never been an issue for me while I'm driving. While it's not exactly the safest, I use my iPhone daily.
iDaver

2012-02-24, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Touch screens have never been an issue for me while I'm driving. While it's not exactly the safest, I use my iPhone daily.
Would you listen to yourself? Never an issue? Not exactly the safest?
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-02-24, 21:10

I got mine the other day after being listed as pending since Jan 6th. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet though.
Quagmire
meh

2012-02-25, 12:45

Mine shipped on Wednesday and got here on Thursday. Now waiting for the Lunkatik watchband to get here.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-04-24, 06:39

Heads up, everybody: If your nano originally wasn't part of the recall program, you might want to check again. I just re-checked mine, and this time I'm getting a replacement!

So... are they still shipping 6th-gen replacements, or do they have first-gen models to ship out again? I'm hoping for the new one, mostly so I can sell it. I don't have any use for it, but I could certainly find something to spend some extra cash on.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-04-27, 09:31

I got my return envelope yesterday, and I'm going to ship it off today. Here's hoping I get the newer one!