User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

LED Home lighting a reality yet? (08Dec08)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
LED Home lighting a reality yet? (08Dec08)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-12-08, 22:23

This is the first year I've noticed LED lighting in the hardware stores. This set is specifically what got my attention and I even bought a set to "play with". Then I was going through my RSS feeds and found this article about a guy who's changing his whole island over to LED lighting. While I know it's still an expensive proposition to turn the whole house over the LED lighting it still seems like it's becoming more of a reality to do so.

I'm not finding that many sources yet either. That's part of my problem. I don't mind building some of my own, but this isn't practical for real usage. Anyway, after reading the article and getting a "Kill-A-Watt" (thanks to NosferaDrew) I tested some of my lighting. My halogen torch lamp uses about 300W while my CFL torch lamp uses about 35W. The problem I face though is that is the CFL isn't bright enough for the room. Maybe I just need more lighting in here but then I'm using even more power. We end up turning on the halogen just for the extra lighting.

I did find one source here in the States that looks like a good source but I really don't know, they just came up in a Google search. If I went with their 60W replacement bulb I'd knock down the wattage to about 6W. Compared to the halogen I'd save a fair amount but it's not anywhere near the light either.

So who here is using LEDs for household lighting? I'm sure many of us have them for flashlights and such, but what about a fixture in your home? What are the prices like in those countries that have begun banning incandescent?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-12-08, 23:08

I'm very interested in the transition we're making from incandescent to fluorescent to LED for a litany of reasons. Last year I thought that LEDs for home use already existed and I started looking for them but there really weren't any yet... just a few $60 outdoor spotlights.

So I'll try to remember this thread the next time I see something on this topic.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-12-08, 23:42

I was researching it last year and didn't find much either. I think LEDs are the way of the future. I hate the CFL bulbs: the light sucks and they've got mercury in them, which is tones of fun to play with if they break...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-12-09, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
I was researching it last year and didn't find much either. I think LEDs are the way of the future. I hate the CFL bulbs: the light sucks and they've got mercury in them, which is tones of fun to play with if they break...
I'd agree the mercury sucks. People don't dispose of them properly and it's just going to get back into the water. But the light is brilliant, at least on the ones we have. It's just fantastic.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Jerman

2008-12-09, 00:56

I also cannot stand CFL's. I bought some nice ones last year to try out. I just found I didn't like the light as much, not as "calming" so to speak. Really like Xenon bulbs, but of course those are incandescent. I really would like to see a review of the light "quality" as opposed to halogen, etc. Hopefully it is just as good.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-12-09, 01:03

LEDs are not replacements for conventional bulbs (incandescent, CFL, halogen). Your house's lighting would need to be completely redesigned around your furniture for LEDs to be useful -- the problem is that they act as point sources of light tossing it in one direction without much diffusion and because of this require a great deal of tweaking to get right.

This being said, there are bulb like compound led lights available, but they are sloppily designed POSes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-12-09, 01:24

You must be talking about some of the ones I have found here. Hard to tell if they are any good or not. I've noticed that the ones with the frosted globe over them seem to be the closest to conventional bulb replacement.

Some of these bulbs seem like they'd be a great replacement for my torch lamps that rely on reflection from ceiling to disburse the light. If it's bright enough we might be able to really make use of it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2009-01-05, 01:12

New York City is going to test out LED street lights...Which means no more yellow/orange glow at night...

http://www.wired.com/culture/design/.../st_streetlamp

The biggest issue with house light bulbs LED is heat:

http://gizmodo.com/5077493/putting-h...y-bulb-designs

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-05, 01:32

That's a neat article from Wired about the new NYC street lights. That's one of those things you just never really think about (the logistics of frequently changing bulbs in existing models, the energy they use, etc.).

Going to those new ones should make quite a difference in manpower hours and energy costs.

I like the illustration above too.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-01-05, 05:31

Astronomers everywhere are waiting for the day when directional LED replace the insidious sodium glow of light pollution.