AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Interesting charts showing smartphone marketshare

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Interesting charts showing smartphone marketshare
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2011-03-03, 15:40

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/v...urer-and-plat/

Pretty cool, it shows breakdowns both by manufacturer and by OS in a single graphic.

When you see it that way, RIM doesn't look so dead, does it?

Also interesting is that Android seems to have the youngest users, with iOS and Windows 7 in the middle and Blackberry with the oldest users.
Wrao
Yarp

2011-03-03, 16:25

Expected Samsung to have a greater slice of the Android pie. They market their Galaxy series very heavily. Side comment: what is it with comments sections on phone-related articles? How did everyone get to be so fanatical over this stuff?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-03, 16:30

I still think RIM's situation is pretty dire. It's not only that their market share is slipping, but that they've really only able to sell cheaper and cheaper phones — sales of the dirt-cheap Curve are masking the failures of the Torch, Style and Bold 9780. Verizon hasn't even bothered getting a new high-end BlackBerry; they have Android for that. And now 3.2" HVGA touchscreen Android devices can undercut RIM's 2.4" QVGA non-touch phones in price. Uh oh.

My first thought upon seeing that chart is, "Where's LG?" Samsung's crosstown rival isn't yet as successful in the smartphone space, it seems. But before we congratulate Samsung too much, we should note that their Bada smartphone OS is also totally absent — it's not yet available on any product in North America, after all.

At least 2 — and probably a good bit more — of Windows Phone's 10 percents of share are actually Windows Mobile devices, since HP and Motorola make no WP7 products. And if anyone is wondering why it says HTC has a small share of Palm/webOS products, I have no idea. (HTC has made some Palm-branded products, but only ones running Windows Mobile. Maybe Nielsen is still counting those as Palms?)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wrao
Yarp

2011-03-03, 16:35

I'm not sure if everyone is interested in owning a smartphone based on the iPhone archetype. To that end, RIM may well continue to serve a role to the niche of people who don't want multitouch portable computer superphones but still want anywhere email and mapping. I don't expect they will fall off the map entirely, but their position as a market leader is definitely slipping.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-03, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I'm not sure if everyone is interested in owning a smartphone based on the iPhone archetype. To that end, RIM may well continue to serve a role to the niche of people who don't want multitouch portable computer superphones but still want anywhere email and mapping. I don't expect they will fall off the map entirely, but their position as a market leader is definitely slipping.
HP is an enterprise company, and they're going to be pushing the "business class" Pre 3 hard in the enterprise. And looking at it, it really does seem like HP has built a better BlackBerry.

The BlackBerry-style "Chassis II" spec for Windows Phone is also forthcoming. Nokia, at least, will position that as the successor to its businessy Eseries, and it will also help Windows Phone reach the lower price points where BlackBerry still sells.

BlackBerry does sell some phones on the strength of BlackBerry Messenger, which is really all they can push these days. But if you're looking for, as you describe, a simple, low-end phone focused on email and messaging and maybe basic social stuff, are you going to buy a phone built around BlackBerry Messenger, or are you going to buy the HTC ChaCha, which is built around Facebook?

Now that Nokia has finally seen Symbian for what it is, BlackBerry is the new butt of the industry's jokes. It's routinely mocked on Gizmodo. Engadget Mobile chief Chris Zeigler just flatly said he doesn't consider it as one of the modern smartphone platforms. The three-month-old Windows Phone app store has more apps than BlackBerry App World. And when you throw in rumors that BlackBerry is considering porting BlackBerry Messenger to the iPhone, or that they're going to just have the PlayBook run Android apps, it really does look like they're throwing in the towel. Those rumors might be totally bogus, but that's besides the point. That they're even being rumored just don't inspire confidence in the platform, and RIM has already failed at making BlackBerry an ecosystem that people are willing to buy into. Nobody has a collection of BlackBerry apps, for example, that will ensure that they keep on buying BlackBerries. That sort of lock-in is what anyone who wants a stable, lasting platform needs.

I've seen RIM's 2011 hardware — as usual, BGR has leaked all of it — and it's not going to be enough. BlackBerry 6.1 isn't going to be enough. BlackBerry 7 isn't going to be enough, because RIM's QNX "Tablet OS" isn't slated to hit phones until the version after that. BlackBerry's lost their grip on the high-end of the market, and they're still following Nokia's failed "maybe if we just make our Symbian phones a little bit better..." strategy. Giving the Torch a gigahertz processor isn't going to make more people want it. Finally giving the Curve an HVGA screen isn't going to make more people want it. The Optimus is already there. With Android, and a touchscreen. For $50 less. And $10 less each month.

The BlackBerry is done for. RIM just doesn't know it yet.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-03-04, 04:28

I'd be interested to see a global version of the chart, or some for different countries/regions.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2011-03-04, 10:00

And for non-smartphones... most of the old farts late adopters in the local pub are still rocking obsolete candybar Nokias with a few flip Motorolas
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-03-04, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousuburb View Post
And for non-smartphones... most of the old farts late adopters in the local pub are still rocking obsolete candybar Nokias with a few flip Motorolas
Nah, who cares about them