User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Is there any work-around for the iChat text overload stuff?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is there any work-around for the iChat text overload stuff?
Wrao
Yarp

2004-05-18, 21:54

This is seriously cramping my style. I never had problems with this in the last version of iChat, but since I updated to v1.2 it gets me nearly every friggin conversation!

due to this fact, I am inclined to believe that it is an iChat specific limit, one that could hopefully be modified with some command line trickery. But seeing as how I know nothing about modifying program functions, and I'd likely explode my computer trying, I implore the educated populace out there to lend a helping hand.

Brad, I'm looking in your direction maybe, but I'm not asking for adium! Not yet at least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if the 'time out' was shortened it'd be a great help, because so often people think I'm being rude by not responding or whatever, sometimes people even have to log off and I don't get to say good bye or whatever!

GAH! and just now I wasn't able to complete a killer pun because of it! and now I have missed my window!

this has GOT TO GO!

Please tell me there is SOMETHING that can be done....

maybe I will need to move to adium :-\

(we need the smiley back too!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-18, 22:12

I believe that is a limitation with the AIM service, not iChat.
It has to do with you sending too much crap too fast. It happens to anyone who uses any client connected to the AIM service.
Not much you can do about it.

Come waste your time with me
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-05-18, 22:18

You might try a direct connection with the other person. This would only work if the limitation was on the server, not client, and I have no idea how it works.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-05-18, 22:19

That's what I thought too, but, I never had this *problem* until I updated iChat.

I mean, it was still there in the last version, but it was a lot more lax, pretty much you'd have to spam like
b
b
b
b
b
b
bb
b
b
b
b
b
b
b

to get blocked, but now, I can only get maybe 5 or 6 messages out before it slams me.

Also, what's even more annoying is that it seems to be cross chat windows, so, it's very common for me to have 5+ Chat windows open at once, now, ever since the v1.2 update, I get slammed with time out all the time, and when I'm slammed with one in one chat room, I can't use others.

So, with that evidence, it really seems more like an iChat thing than an AIM thing. I mean, I know, at root it's an AIM thing, but I think iChat is capitalizing on it.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-05-18, 22:21

By the way, before people bring up their "but I can type such and such and not be slammed" stories, know that I am a very fast typist, none of the iChat users I know have this problem, and they all type considerably slower than I do.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-18, 22:28

That's odd. It happens to me, but only once in a blue moon. Maybe someone is warning you. I know that if you have enough warning level that it will limit your ability to send things. But I don't know if that affects iChat users or not.

Come waste your time with me
MacUsers

2004-05-18, 22:41

It does effect iChat users because warnings are for the account on the aim service and they travel along no matter what client you use. So ya, if people warn you it increases the chances of that a lot.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-05-18, 22:47

hmm, I guess that is a possibility, but that doesn't explain why this phenomenon wasn't there when I was using the old version, it appeared when I got the beta v1.2, I reverted to the old version because of this issue, but then I upgraded because I was having connection problems and now it's back again.

any way you can check your warning level?
MacUsers

2004-05-18, 22:49

Not in iChat.. I don't think. Anyway, I had this happen to me one day (It was 2.1) but never again... maybe it has something to do with connection speed, i really don't know. It is really annoying when it does happen.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-05-18, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
hmm, I guess that is a possibility, but that doesn't explain why this phenomenon wasn't there when I was using the old version, it appeared when I got the beta v1.2, I reverted to the old version because of this issue, but then I upgraded because I was having connection problems and now it's back again.

any way you can check your warning level?
I'm in the same boat. When I upgraded to iChat 2.1 beta I got a ton of the notices and was locked out for like 30 seconds. I downgraded to 2.0 and the issue went away. By mistake I let SU upgrade iChat and it's back. It's a real pain in the ass.

If anyone has a copy of iChat 2.0 I can walk you through creating a package installer.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-05-18, 22:54

haha it is v2.1

and I've been saying v1.2 this whole time...my mistake, got confused with safari I guess

I'm on a cable modem, I don't think it would be connection speed related, but I suppose that is a possibility, maybe if I send data too fast for the other user, factor in talking with people on dial up and it would make for teh lame.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-19, 01:29

It is DEFINITELY a bug in iChat 2.1. It was present in the beta, really really badly, and now 2.1 has it too, though not nearly as bad.

It's a bug.

Bug.

It's not because you're sending messages too fast. I am a fast typist but I never get flood warnings when I use any other client. Only iChat. Other people notice the same thing.

It is EXTREMELY STUPID that Apple went ahead and updated iChat even though the ONE bug that was reared its ugly head in v2.1b was NOT fixed in v2.1 final. Final my ass. 2.x my ass. iChat is still a beta-quality app.

If file transfer weren't so utterly messed up in the other clients, I'd use something else. Luckily, iChat doesn't do this to me very often.

But it NEVER happens in other clients...

We need the smiley back.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-05-19, 16:47

Exactly as Luca said.

Man, it's really getting on my nerves, I feel like slamming the keyboard when it happens, especially if I'm having a heated argument and I can't get my point accross before the other guy types some crap.

How do I go back? Does anyone have the 2.0 insntaller?
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-13, 22:09

No new information on any work-around, hack or otherwise solution to this problem?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-14, 04:16

NOPE! If you want to avoid this problem, you have to wait until June 2005, then buy Tiger for $129!!! It's one of the 150 new features! No more flood warnings in iChat!

murbot
Hoonigan

2004-07-14, 10:35

I found a solution. Press cmd-q, chug a beer, click the iChat icon, and it resets itself. Brilliant!