AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)
Page 4 of 13 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 14:59

On the data plan issue, the plans for both the Verizon and AT&T models changed. Now there's the 3GB $30 plan for AT&T but also a 1GB $20 plan for Verizon.

1GB is the sweet spot for a tablet, for me, and at $20 is reasonably (but not wonderfully) priced. I think a lot of people could get by with such a plan, as long as they used wifi at home.

The plans feel expensive to us nerds, but to regular folks, $20 a month for Internet everywhere seems reasonable. Heck, I just spent nearly that much on breakfast for two. Cut out one restaurant trip a month, and you're there.

What gets annoying are plans like AT&T's. Their bargain plan is too small to really be useful, with the next step up costing twice the price for far more data than most users need. They know that most users will use 500MB-1GB on that 3GB plan, but don't offer a $20 in-between plan.

AT&T is free to run itself however it likes... And I'm free to go with Verizon. Verizon has better coverage and speeds here in Berkeley anyway.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-08, 15:08

Consider yourself lucky, the plans in Canada are worse. All three of the major carries have the same ones too, not even an attempt to lure customers with slightly different ones.

$15 for 250MB or $35 for 5GB. Talk about huge price gaps! Thus I went with WIFI only.

Edit: one carrier does have a $20 a month plan for 500MB *
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 15:21

Canada is in a tough situation. You have the population of California, but greater overall landmass than the whole US. I know much of it is completely uninhabited (why italicized? see below) and not covered, but your population is still more dispersed than down here.

That's why Europe, Japan, and South Korea get such good deals on Internet connectivity and such: dense populations.

Last edited by screensaver400 : 2012-03-08 at 16:42.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-08, 15:41

Whoa. Verizon's data plan includes mobile hotspot for free. I don't need it but that's a nice perk. Yay! Competition!
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 15:51

Is http://www.apple.com/ipad/ busted for anyone else? It loads, but looks like crap in Chrome and Safari for me. Looks fine in Firefox, oddly enough.

Edit:
Oh, now it's fine. I deleted the local storage Apple was using and it resolved itself. It seemed to be loading a damaged copy from when the servers were overloaded yesterday.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
Canada is in a tough situation. I know much of it is completely uninhibited and not covered
Canada gone wild! For only $19.99, you will see the wildest country in North America go CRAZY! No maple leaves covering anything here, this saucy country is ready to party like a shirt-ripping lumberjack! You'll never think of maple syrup the same way again! Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, Canada? You know it! Call now to order, only $19.99!
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Canada gone wild! For only $19.99, you will see the wildest country in North America go CRAZY! No maple leaves covering anything here, this saucy country is ready to party like a shirt-ripping lumberjack! You'll never think of maple syrup the same way again! Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, Canada? You know it! Call now to order, only $19.99!
Haha. Darn autocorrect.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 17:09

Dyac!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-03-08, 17:11

Quote:
Canada is in a tough situation. You have the population of California, but greater overall landmass than the whole US. I know much of it is completely uninhabited (why italicized? see below) and not covered, but your population is still more dispersed than down here.

That's why Europe, Japan, and South Korea get such good deals on Internet connectivity and such: dense populations.
True, but considering that the government (thus tax payers) pays for all the transmission towers/lines (the providers just maintain them) the prices are ridiculous. The carriers here could easily afford to charge the same rates as in the US, but they are greedy and protected by the CRTC to prevent any real competition.
Partial
Stallion

2012-03-08, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
Because the rear camera sucked and despite it's size the iPad is a suitable digital video capture device

That's just ridiculous

The front camera sucked too, though. I just think they're missing the boat here on how people use their devices. Video chat, yes. Take pictures of Giraffes, no.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 17:59

Quote:
Haha. Darn autocorrect.
I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
True, but considering that the government (thus tax payers) pays for all the transmission towers/lines (the providers just maintain them) the prices are ridiculous. The carriers here could easily afford to charge the same rates as in the US, but they are greedy and protected by the CRTC to prevent any real competition.
Hot damn, that is absolutely insane, then.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 20:09

Checking back this morning, some models have slipped to the 22nd now, at least over here.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-03-08, 21:39

Shipping dates are slipping here as well. The 19th is now listed as the earliest shipping date (this morning it was listed as between the 16 and 19th).
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 23:32

As a quick aside, has anyone else noticed this annoying trend on the internet where not only do we now get months of pointless predictions but follow-up articles about who was the most right/wrong? Come on guys, get a grip. Please.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-09, 08:02

I still see shipping on Mar. 16.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-09, 12:48

The shipment notifications hath arrived. Impressive. Most impressive.

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-03-09, 13:19

I read that Apple managed to fit an 11,666 mAh battery into the new iPad which helps explain the maintaining of the battery life. It supposedly has 70% more capacity than the iPad 2.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-03-09, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I still see shipping on Mar. 16.
Not everyone here is in the US, so keep that in mind.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-09, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Wow, yours shipped already?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-09, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Wow, yours shipped already?
Well, sorta. I have tracking numbers for all three items (iPad, Dock, Cover), but only the Cover has "left the station". I expect tomorrow the other two items will be en route. Seems like within 24 hours of the tracking number going live, you have updates about where the shipment is.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-03-09, 17:20

I was convinced I was going to upgrade my iPad 2 but the more I think about it, I may just wait til next year. iPad 2 is still perfect for me. It's hard to justify other then fanboy-ism.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-09, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Are you compulsively checking FedEx every hour or so looking for updates too, or is that just me?

Also, I find it kind of odd that Apple is shipping both iPads separately. Maybe because it's a launch day thing?

My wife and I watched the keynote this afternoon and are thoroughly excited for our new computers. The iPhoto app is simply increadable. Can't wait to play.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-09, 17:42

My FIL's iPad (wifi only) shipped. Mine hasn't yet.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-09, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Are you compulsively checking FedEx every hour or so looking for updates too, or is that just me?
Haha. Well I wouldn't say "just you" but for my part I only checked to answer the question put to me earlier.

BTW does anyone know, do we have to put HD movies at the full price if we've already purchased the SD version for prior iPads? I may not need to depending on how the movie looks but it's something I was wondering about. I suspect we have to re-buy but I might contact sales support for iTunes if someone thinks there's a chance i might be given a coupon code for the price of the SD version so when I buy the HD it's like an "upgrade".

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-09, 18:27

you need to have bought the HD version. Your 720P versions will be updated to 1080P for free if you wish.

They will not give you a coupon.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-09, 19:39

Only the "new" iPad, new AppleTV, and iPhone 4S will support 1080p. User beware.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-09, 19:44

I'm assuming you can play them on your Mac in iTunes as well.
Bonn89

2012-03-09, 20:12

Here's a question: if an iPad user can pay Verizon $20/month for 1GB of *4G LTE* data AND free Mobile Hotspot, why the hell am I forced to pay $30/month minimum for 2GB of *3G data* and extra for the Hotspot?

I'd be all over a $20, 1GB 3G + Hotspot data plan. Like, high school prom date all over it. That's the best data plan from any of the major US carriers BY FAR.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-09, 20:16

My Verizon 3G data plan was activated before they stopped doing unlimited data, so I still get unlimited data for $30. Sucks for those that have newer plans though.