AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)
Page 12 of 13 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  Next Thread Tools
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-04-01, 00:09

And do you guys think I should be worried about image burn-in? Do new panels still suffer from screen burn-in?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2012-04-01, 07:45

I have been having a very odd problem and am finally headed to local Apple store to switch my iPad. I got a new SIM card when I upgraded to the new iPad from the iPad 2. I had been checking download speeds all around NYC and CT where I live and I never get anything north of 2.5 MBs on AT&T although people report around me 22 MBs. I was suspecting I had been throttled back,

I finally called AT&T Friday and they indicated that my account was set up wrong and that the LTE was not enabled and that this would fixed the problem. (They denied they throttle iPads and said they only do this to iPhones.)

After 2 hours of back and forth, they declared their five computers that control information to and from iPads and iPhones updated. For awhile I did get a LTE logo on the upper left side but my downloads speeds dropped to 900k. I called them back again and they told me a LTE tower was down in my neighborhood. I waited as asked and called back again. The next person told me the tower is was not correct as their were over 300 towers within 1/4 mile of my office!

He then told me the problem was when I registered the new iPad that I did this from the website (as I was told to do so from AT&T) but I needed to do this from the iPad and select the unlimited LTE option. Because I did not, I needed a new SIM card.

I went to the local Times Square AT&T office and told the tech guy there I needed a new one and then to let me set up on iPad as 1-800 service told me to do so, and he told me I did not know what I was talking about and set it up via the computer (as was previously done.) Guess what--downloads still 1-2 MBs.

I went back and asked for another SIM card and this time set it up via iPad but got no noticeable change in downloads.

Called 1-800 service and they told me it was the iPad and something wrong with it--does not make sense but I am headed to Stamford store at 10am.

UPDATE:

Got a new iPad and restored and still getting same crappy downloads. The only conclusion I am come to is AT&T is throttling back me as I am an unlimited plan. They say they do not but there cannot be any other explanation.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!

Last edited by jcoley2 : 2012-04-01 at 13:26.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-01, 09:11

Just picked up the Archos G9 tablet at Staples. Saw where it was on sale for $219 in their Sunday circular. Has Honeycomb and the Android stuff is pretty cool.

4GB, 8" screen and 1GHz dual-core A9. $30 off regular price, so why not? A tablet is a tablet.

I figured I already have an iPhone, so it seemed kinda silly to get just a bigger (and more expensive) version in the form of an iPad. This lets me do everything I wanted. It has a cool little kickstand too.

Takes some getting used to, but I think I could get into this Android stuff. These apps are gorgeous!
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-04-01, 09:21

Welcome to the dark side Luke.......I mean Paul............
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-04-01, 09:27

Good post Paul. Let's see what else today brings.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-04-01, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Just picked up the Archos G9 tablet at Staples. Saw where it was on sale for $219 in their Sunday circular. Has Honeycomb and the Android stuff is pretty cool.

4GB, 8" screen and 1GHz dual-core A9. $30 off regular price, so why not? A tablet is a tablet.

I figured I already have an iPhone, so it seemed kinda silly to get just a bigger (and more expensive) version in the form of an iPad. This lets me do everything I wanted. It has a cool little kickstand too.

Takes some getting used to, but I think I could get into this Android stuff. These apps are gorgeous!
Guys, the pitchforks.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-04-01, 10:33

Paul Run.................................RUNNNNNNNNNNNN ................................
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-04-01, 10:54

That post... serious? I know he's been in the market, so I'm a little nervous that he might not be kidding...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-04-01, 11:09

It's Sunday morning and 'scates lives in the South. Meaning no Staples had opened in time for him buy it and actually use it. I'm calling BS.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-04-01, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
It's Sunday morning and 'scates lives in the South. Meaning no Staples had opened in time for him buy it and actually use it. I'm calling BS.
Duh. It's April fools day...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-01, 11:31

It is?!?

It took you goofballs long enough!

I only do this every year...make some wild-ass purchase claim that, for anyone even halfway paying attention, couldn't possibly be true.

I slipped up on my timing...tori nailed it. Places here on Sunday don't open until the following Wednesday.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-04-01, 14:56

Nice one scates. Figured that one out right away.

Oh BTW, here is a great use for your new iPad.

http://www.snotr.com/video/8965/
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-02, 11:22

Is there an increase in stylus sales/usage? I keep seeing them both in real life (even people using them with their iPhone) and many of the usual accessory makers (Kensington, Griffin, etc.) are showing these on their sites, with iOS devices.

I understand if you're using the iPad to draw, it might feel more natural to hold something like a pen or pencil. But for general, day-to-day use it strikes me as odd. And "going backwards". One of the neatest moments in the January 2007 iPhone introduction was Jobs poo-pooing the idea of a stylus, and, instead, using nature's perfect pointing device.

Just something I've noticed lately. First in my mom and sister (one led to the other, I believe...Mom won't cut her nails, so she got upset that her iPhone "is hard to use" - her nails would click on the screen instead of her fingertips, and I told her this from the start, a dozen times..."it's not going to read your fingernail input" - so she bought a stylus which just misses the point completely, IMO). Now my sister does it. But I see it other places too. And it's all people who aren't using it to paint or draw.

So you've got a stylus, fine. Just seems to get in the way when you need to pinch, swipe, use multiple-finger gestures, etc.

I don't get it. Seems to be adding complexity and a layer of "something else" to a device/OS/approach that is as simple and distilled as anything's ever been.

Thoughts?

Don't get me wrong...if using a stylus on your iPhone/iPad tingles your tater, by all means.

Personally, I hate keeping up with "stuff"...getting it out, storing it, losing it, feeling like I "need" it to use a device that it wasn't designed with it in mind, etc. Then again, I'm both a klutz and a "lose stuff" factory, so it's probably not a good match for me anyway...
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-04-02, 11:25

I bought a Wacom Bamboo stylus for the new iPad, but I really only use it when drawing in Paper or taking notes in Penultimate. And even then, it's only a portion of the time I open those apps.

However, I work with two people that use stylus'/styli(?) for their everyday iPad usage. I guess it works for them, but it does seem cumbersome for me.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-02, 11:29

I certainly understand in art/drawing usage (and maybe other things I'm not aware of). But for general tapping, swiping and overall usage it sure seems odd. To each their own, I don't care. It's just something I've noticed more in the past 1-2 months. I've seen more iOS stylus usage in 2012 than I have in the previous two years combined. In fact, I've never seen people using this stuff until the past few months.

Just seems to have caught on and exploded with many.

That rounded shape (although I suppose it's no worse than a typical fingertip) just seems odd for drawing. If I was going to have a stylus for drawing, I think I'd want one with a more focused, honed point. Just seems more precise, or allowing you to see your path/marks better.

I doodle on my iPhone in Sketchbook Mobile and it takes some getting used to, using your finger to create small, thinner strokes (you're obstructing your own view at the point of contact).

Something like a "finger thimble", with a sharper point, might be the ideal solution...small, light, allowing natural "finger-painting" use, but without your meaty fingertip (or rounded, wide stylus nib) in the way.

Then again, everyone knows the iPad is not a creative/content tool, so...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-04-02, 11:50

I know a few people who use styluses, none of which are iOS users, more so Win mobile and Android phone users. They like them because they find the stylus easier to use with their large fingers.

Last edited by PB PM : 2012-04-02 at 13:19.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-04-02, 13:01

I use a stylus when I'm taking notes in session but I understand that this is a special use case. I've tried several and the best by far is the cosmonaut (studioneat.com if anyone's interested. Special coupon code 5by5 for 20% off!) But for ordinary use, nothing tops a finger.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-04-02, 13:05

On the theme of iPad accessories, I've outfitted mine with a red smart cover, black and red BOOKBack and the aforementioned cosmonaut stylus. I think I nailed it. I love this thing.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-02, 21:26

I had my first time to play with one today while waiting on a Genius and I have to admit I'm looking forward to owning one of these awesome things! Moving from my 1st Gen to this will be so cool. The screen really is what they say it is. I just can't wait to own one...just not in my budget right now.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-04-02, 22:08

Paper is an amazing app.
zippy
Veteran Member

2012-04-02, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I had my first time to play with one today while waiting on a Genius and I have to admit I'm looking forward to owning one of these awesome things! Moving from my 1st Gen to this will be so cool. The screen really is what they say it is. I just can't wait to own one...just not in my budget right now.
Here, can you take over rowing for a while. My arms are getting tired and this life vest is chafing my armpits.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-04-03, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It is?!?

It took you goofballs long enough!

I only do this every year...make some wild-ass purchase claim that, for anyone even halfway paying attention, couldn't possibly be true.

I slipped up on my timing...tori nailed it. Places here on Sunday don't open until the following Wednesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Good post Paul. Let's see what else today brings.
*Ahem* (just sayin')
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-04-04, 04:37

I just bought a Wacom Bamboo stylus. It feels okay using it in Paper and in Sketchbook Pro. Sometimes I use the stylus but other times I feel more comfortable using my fingers. It just depends on what I am drawing.

We should have a thread specifically for ipad created art. Wouldn't that be cool?
chucker
β€½

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-04-04, 05:12

Not pressure-sensitive. Sigh.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-04-04, 23:48

I have a stylus I use sometimes because it is easier to write holding onto something, at least it is for me. I've met a couple of people who use stylii because they don't want fingerprint smudges on their screen.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-05-04, 01:22

I didn't want to resurrect the old iPad 2 thread, so here's a link to AnandTech's review of the $399 iPad 2,4. TL;DR version: new 32nm process variant of the A5 SoC results in significantly better battery life than the models it replaced (as well as the iPad 3, which has worse battery life than its predecessor thanks to the power-hungry display and GPU). It's apparently pretty rare to find the new variant in the wild, though.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-05-04, 07:18

Very interesting actually. Thanks.

But no reason to avoid the iPad 2 thread. It would not be a matter of 'resurrecting' as the iPad 2 is very much not dead, but remains a current Apple product.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-04, 10:01

The iPad 2 is that "sweet spot" model now, more than ever. I'm not convinced typical users even notice the Retina Display for typical stuff, and, despite the extra RAM, $100 is $100.

That matters to some people more than pixels. The first two generations of iPads did quite well without it, after all. A great machine is even more so.

It's still the model if buy for myself, or recommend to others at this time. I'm sure I'll change my tune down the road, but I think the majority of casual users, newcomers and folks like that are more than served with the 2.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-05-04, 11:41

As long as your major use isn't reading, I'll agree with you. Text is so improved in the iPad 3 that it is instantly noticeable in A/B comparisons.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-05-04, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
(as well as the iPad 3, which has worse battery life than its predecessor thanks to the power-hungry display and GPU).
My 4G iPad has about the same battery life as my iPad 2 did. I know on paper it's slightly worse, but I haven't noticed it.

That said, charging the new iPad is a pain in the ass. It takes about twice as long on a 10W charger and it basically treads water on a 5W charger.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.