User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Has anyone seen the new led lighting on the new mbp in person??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Has anyone seen the new led lighting on the new mbp in person??
jjahshik32

2007-06-05, 12:44

I went to my local apple store here in houston this morning but they didnt have them on display and told me they will put it up tonight before they close. Man i'm just so curious to see what it looks like, if its that nice I think that even though I love my new macbook core 2 duo 2.0ghz, I would take it back before the 2 weeks return date is due and get hit with the 90 dollars restock fee and pick up one of the 15" mbp.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-05, 13:32

No but I'm happy to post a report next week after I receive mine. I just got a new MB 13" also so I can compare them, pre- and post-calibration. Cool thing about the LED is that it powers up right away. No 10-15 minute "warm up period".

...into the light of a dark black night.
Apple Rocks The Socks

Send a message via MSN to Apple Rocks The Socks Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Rocks The Socks 
2007-06-07, 00:02

Engadget posted some pics and said some things about the differences.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/06/m...n-led-vs-ccfl/
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-06-07, 10:37

Check out these pics at Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/macb...ccfl-1/266121/
http://www.engadget.com/gallery/macb...ccfl-1/266111/
http://www.engadget.com/gallery/macb...ccfl-1/266113/

It looks to me like the top bezel has shrunk a bit on the new MPB. The bottom of the screens still match up though, so that would indicate that the overall dimensions of the screen, and thus the rest of the MBP, have shrunk as well. That could explain some of the weight decrease.

The sad part of that would be that if they did have to re-design the case a bit, it would have been the perfect time to implement the Mag-Latch at the very least. Since they did not, I can only assume they are not planning to. That's disappointing.

edit: Upon further study, it appears that the dimensions did not change on the overall MBP. So I'm not sure where the extra monitor stuff went, because it really looks like it shrunk?

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-06-07, 11:41

If you look closely, one of the machines is sitting slightly higher up, its nothing to do with the screen.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-06-07, 11:44

Really looks like the top bezel is shrunk a little bit. If you compares the space below the iSight...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-06-07, 11:48

Maybe, but it also looks like the old C2D MBPs screen is pushed a little further back, so that may be a little deceptive. That said, there is always the possibility. It would be interesting to see the difference in the physical demotions listed by Apple.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-06-07, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
If you look closely, one of the machines is sitting slightly higher up, its nothing to do with the screen.
I kind of thought that at first, but if you look at this photo in particular: http://www.engadget.com/gallery/macb...ccfl-1/266121/

you can hold a straight edge across the top and bottom of the actual display area, yet the housing is definitely taller on the older MBP. Further, if you measure on screen, the width of the bezel is clearly different.

And this picture: http://www.engadget.com/gallery/macb...ccfl-1/266120/
shows that the two notebooks are in fairly close alignment. It does look like the new MBP is sitting down a bit, but I can't imagine why they would do that, so it makes it seem like the new unit is thinner.

I'm wondering if Apple just hasn't updated the specs properly yet. After all, it took them a while to even get the MacBook Pro page updated after the new unit showed up in the Store and on the front page.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-06-07, 14:32

If Apple has made the MBP a little deeper, then they haven't updated their specpage to reflect it.

On Apple's website it says the 15" model is 24.3 cm deep and when I put a ruler to my rev. A, it also shows 24.3 cm. And judging by the pictures it doesn't look like they have moved the display up on the lid

The depth of the case is equal to the height of the lid.
jjahshik32

2007-06-07, 17:55

I decided to take my 1 week macbook back and get the macbook pro 15" with the 128vram nvidia 8600m for the $1999, with student discount the difference I paid was $727. I am very happy with my purchase and the led screen is very very nice. I have it next to my cinema display 20" the new one and the mbp looks brighter and wayy cleaner, also the illumination is even and no dead pixels =D
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-06-08, 10:46

Just returned from the 5th Ave NYC store--they had the new LED 15" out on display (finally.) I had to admit I was expecting more brightness. (To be clear, the glossy screen looks very much brighter but I think i would never not buy a glossy--too much reflection.) That being said, I had no control group to use other than walking between the new 17" and the 15".

Unfort they did not have the new 17" 1900x1200 widescreen available (and I guess I am glad since had I seen it, I would probably order that instead.)

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-06-25, 22:04

Just to answer the "top bezel is shrunk a little bit" question as got a C2D MBP and a new MBP side to side.

It as been redistributed to the bottom. (where it says "MacBook Pro")

The screen is definitely brighter now that I can compare...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."