User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Office365
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-04-15, 01:37

So I'm not exactly the most quiet person in the world when it comes to my disdain for Office. PowerPoint is a joke compared to Keynote, Word is a hot mess from start to finish, and Excel is a glorified grid with a shitty shitty macro language bolted on.

And yet, I find myself honestly impressed with what MS is doing with Office365. My company is migrating to it, after one too many in-house Exchange server deaths, and I'm kind of shocked. I like it. The more I use it, the more I like it.

The price is reasonable, IMO, especially for a small business. The licensing details are actually intelligent and flexible, and they've done a hell of a lot with integration between the apps, something I always felt they fell down on badly, at least on the Mac, where app integration was always a drag and drop away in everything *BUT* Office. The site is impressively clean in layout, and almost... almost... makes sense. I'm kind of giddy about using the SharePoint Sites for our internal project organization, and the live collaborative editing of documents with versioning is going to be a godsend.

I feel so dirty.

Anyone else using/abusing Office365?

I have a prediction, that MS will soon (in under two years) drop traditional retail sales of Office completely, and go with this revenue model. It's hellaciously attractive pricing, and new features to boot from stem to stern. It also gives MS more reliable revenue streams.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-15, 06:22

Is it actually "in the cloud" or is it basically a networked authorization validation like Adobe CC? Or, some hybrid? I'm happy with my old version of office so I pay no attention too these things, but my wife raves about Sharepoint in her work, thinks it's the best thing microsoft's ever done.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-04-15, 10:29

Full in the cloud. You can be editing the document with Word on your desktop machine, and someone in another time zone can be editing the same document at the same time with Word online, and you'll see each others edits as they happen, live.

It's really fricking slick.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-04-15, 11:55

You dirty, dirty man.

Tell us more of the interface.

¡Damned!

2014-04-15, 12:45

Oh wow. I didn't even realize how inexpensive it is. Much, much, less than I imagined. 7 bucks a month for Personal (1 Mac/PC + 1 tablet/iPad)? Damn. Well done MS.

Compared to Adobe's outright gouging of its users this seems like an absolute steal.

That said, I hate this new subscription model that the big software companies are going for now. There's not even an option to purchase CC at retail. I wonder how long it'll take for MS to follow suit.

So it goes.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-04-15, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
You dirty, dirty man.

Tell us more of the interface.

On the desktop, full Office apps. Online, it's damned near the same interface.

The Outlook UI is probably the weakest online, IMO.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-16, 16:07

I haven't used Office 365 at all but I was shocked to see that GoDaddy resells it now with their domains. ~$13 a month with annual agreements.