User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!
Page 4 of 13 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-16, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
…I have it automounting

It was the -oping_diskarb. Makes perfect sense, I suppose.

Progress™
More progress: I have it automounting after diskutil eraseVolume. Except…

…twice.

Apparently it doesn't unmount properly before erasing either.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-16, 17:23

Here's a better way to do the probe, that mimics how Apple's ntfs.util behaves:

Code:
function Probe() { DEVICE="/dev/$2" LABEL=`/usr/local/sbin/ntfslabel -n ${DEVICE}` RESULT=$? if [ $RESULT -ne 0 ]; then # Reading the label failed, so it's not NTFS exit -2 # FSUR_UNRECOGNIZED else # Reading label succeeded, so it's NTFS echo -n "${LABEL}" exit -1 fi }
Run Apple's ntfs.util on an unmounted, but present NTFS volume, and see how it's output acts. This mimics it exactly, and might perhaps get name detection down.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-16, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
Could I look at your FS bundle to see what I can (or can't) get working?
http://www.chucker.rasdi.net/temp/ntfs-3g.fs.zip

1) It needs to go into /System/Library/Filesystems. I couldn't get DiskArb to care about /Library/Filesystems at all.
2) I didn't check if the symlinks are okay. Even if they are, you need one more.
Code:
/sbin/mount_ntfs-3g -> /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/ntfs.util ntfs.format -> ntfs.util ntfs.mount -> ntfs.util ntfs.probe -> ntfs.util ntfs.repair -> ntfs.util ntfs.verify -> ntfs.util
The reason these symlinks exist is because DiskArb is rather irrational and random about how it calls the utility. Sometimes it respects some of the Info.plist, sometimes it doesn't. To give a bizarre example, it doesn't care about FSFormatExecutable (it calls ../../ntfs.util when it's supposed to call ../../ntfs.format), but it does care about FSFormatArguments. On the other hand, it doesn't care about FSVerificationArguments (it'll always pass "-q" no matter what), yet it does about FSVerificationExecutable. The symlinks allow me to use 'basename' to gather what DiskArb is really trying to do. I initially made some of these separate shell scripts, but that turned out to be wasteful in terms of code reuse. This is an okay solution.
3) I removed my excessive debug code, which means I might have broken a thing or two by accidentally removing too much. You'll see, I guess.
4) I know. It's ugly. But for the most part, it actually works.
chucker

2007-01-16, 17:25

Quote:
Here's a better way to do the probe, that mimics how Apple's ntfs.util behaves:

Code:
function Probe() { DEVICE="/dev/$2" LABEL=`/usr/local/sbin/ntfslabel -n ${DEVICE}` RESULT=$? if [ $RESULT -ne 0 ]; then # Reading the label failed, so it's not NTFS exit -2 # FSUR_UNRECOGNIZED else # Reading label succeeded, so it's NTFS echo -n "${LABEL}" exit -1 fi }
Run Apple's ntfs.util on an unmounted, but present NTFS volume, and see how it's output acts.
But what happens if the volume doesn't have a label?

Quote:
This mimics it exactly, and might perhaps get name detection down.
Name detection is fine, actually:
Code:
`/usr/local/sbin/ntfslabel -fq $device 2>/dev/null`
I've had that for a while; I just removed it temporarily while other mounting stuff was in the way.
mccoy88f

2007-01-16, 20:54

I Have this error when i compile ntfs-3g versione 20070116

I have installe MacFuse (MacFUSE-0.1.0b006.dmg)
I have xcode
I have MacOS 10.4.8 on MacBook CDuo 2Ghz

Quote:
*** The pkg-config script could not be found. Make sure it is
*** in your path, or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable
*** to the full path to pkg-config.
*** Or see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig to get pkg-config.
configure: error: ntfs-3g requires FUSE >= 2.6.0. Please see http://fuse.sf.net/ or install __all__ FUSE packages (e.g. fuse, fuse-utils, libfuse, libfuse2, libfuse-dev) or remove already installed __older__ FUSE.
Someone can help me???
chucker

2007-01-16, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy88f View Post

I have xcode

Someone can help me???
Check the pkg-config section at http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/wiki/HOWTO
chucker

2007-01-17, 00:27

Okay, I've changed the appropriate section in ntfs.util accordingly:
Code:
label=`/usr/local/sbin/ntfslabel -fq "$device" 2>/dev/null | sed "s=[ /]=_=g"` # prevent spaces and slashes, as per Apple's ntfs.util if [ `echo "$label" | wc -c` -eq 0 ] then label="Untitled NTFS Volume" fi echo -n "$label"$'\0' > /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/ntfs-3g.label echo -n "NTFS-3G"$'\0' > /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/ntfs-3g.name echo -n "$label"$'\0' exit -1 # FSUR_RECOGNIZED; probe response; mounting implied possible
This matches http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/C...oj/ntfs_util.c rather closely. I don't know if the .label and .name files are actually used any more, especially since the code says /* backwards compatibility */. Oh well. The good news:

1) The mount points are now nicer. Instead of /Volumes/Untitled [n], you get the actual name, though with underscores instead of spaces or slashes.
2) Disk Utility now shows the volume names.

However, due to the replacing of spaces and slahes, Disk Utility shows it as, e.g., "Some_Volume". I can't really figure out how Apple's ntfs.util avoids this.

Also, Disk Utility still considers those volumes unmounted.

Last edited by chucker : 2007-01-17 at 00:38. Reason: fixed minor typo-esque bug
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 01:20

I actually ravaged your scripts, and after mimicking the behavior of Apple's ntfs.util, the mount points are chosen correctly, and pretty much everything works with auto-mounting. I patched the mount_fusefs binary that MacFUSE ships so that mountpoints no longer have the "@0" nonsense on the end; that really throws off DiskArbitration.

My only problem now is this: every time I automatically mount a volume, I encounter the statfs() race condition without fail, so Finder sees a volume with no size, and that is unwritable. As Amit says on the Wiki, Finder never recovers. Dammit. Everything else works, including read/write access from the command line, mounting and un-mounting as many times as you like, from wherever you like.

I tried putting in a compulsory sleep at the end of the Mount() function, but it doesn't help. Unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be anything more I can do. I'm going to upload the new installers I have that take care of symlinks in /sbin, so you can take a look.

They'll be up in a few minutes, here:

(defunct)

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2007-01-17 at 03:20. Reason: Borked builds; find newer ones below.
chucker

2007-01-17, 01:26

Quote:
I actually ravaged your scripts

Quote:
, and after mimicking the behavior of Apple's ntfs.util, the mount points are chosen correctly, and pretty much everything works with auto-mounting.
Nice!

Quote:
I patched the mount_fusefs binary that MacFUSE ships so that mountpoints no longer have the "@0" nonsense on the end; that really throws off DiskArbitration.
Good.

Quote:
My only problem now is this: every time I automatically mount a volume, I encounter the statfs() race condition without fail, so Finder sees a volume with no size, and that is unwritable. As Amit says on the Wiki, Finder never recovers. Dammit. Everything else works, including read/write access from the command line, mounting and un-mounting as many times as you like, from wherever you like.
I thought the race condition was fixed in the second release; whatever it was. Beta 005, I guess. (What's up with MacFUSE's awful version numbering?)
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 01:32

Quote:
Okay, I've changed the appropriate section in ntfs.util accordingly:
I'm pretty sure those files are old cruft, for backwards compatibility. They seem to reek too much of security problems and exploitable race conditions. I left them out of my (heavily edited) copies of your scripts, and I've seen no problems.

chucker

2007-01-17, 01:44

*ahem*

Quote:
Verifying volume “Look Backup”
Please do not call /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/ntfs-3g.util directly
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 non HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair
You must have broken something in the Info.plist. It should call ntfs.verify/ntfs.repair, not ntfs.util.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 03:34

Quote:
You must have broken something in the Info.plist. It should call ntfs.verify/ntfs.repair, not ntfs.util.
Nope, Contents/Info.plist references ntfs-3g.verify and ntfs-3g.repair; all the included filesystems use the bundle name as the prefix, so that's why I switched to ntfs-3g for that.

Well, something odd is going on. I changed from symlinks to hardlinks, and the "don't call directly" warning vanished. But then it died because it wasn't getting arguments. So I updated the Info.plist to explicitly pass the -y and -q parameters.

Also, I'm going to start keeping revision numbers (-r3) so I don't lose track of this mess I've made. I tested formatting, verification, and mounting/unmounting with this version, through both diskutil and Disk Utility. If anything breaks, let me know!

EDIT: Renaming of NTFS volumes is still limited to using ntfslabel on the command line; I cannot find how to integrate support for that.

So the fixed revisions are here:Something's still going wrong. File managers open when NTFS mounts happen show the volume as having 0 size. In the screenshot, Finder was already running, but Path Finder was started after mounting. I can reverse the problem by reversing the order. Here's the screenshot:
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (174.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2007-01-17 at 03:47. Reason: Finally, NTFS sucks less.
chucker

2007-01-17, 03:38

Any ideas at all what Finder calls when renaming a drive?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 03:51

Quote:
Any ideas at all what Finder calls when renaming a drive?
No, but the online help from diskutil states that renaming only works for HFS+ and UFS disks. Sounds like a Private API, perhaps...

At this point, it's pretty darned close to a working solution, minus the zero-size and renaming problems. Especially considering a killall Finder.app will "fix" it. Also, I edited Info.plist so that formatting NTFS is easier, a la:

Code:
sudo diskutil eraseVolume 'NTFS-3G' 'VolName' disk5s2
Instead of needing to type 'Windows NT Filesystem 3G', which is contrary to the other shorthand names it lists in the help for eraseVolume. Just a minor change.

chucker

2007-01-17, 03:53

Quote:
Also, I edited Info.plist so that formatting NTFS is easier, a la:

Code:
sudo diskutil eraseVolume 'NTFS-3G' 'VolName' disk5s2
Instead of needing to type 'Windows NT Filesystem 3G', which is contrary to the other shorthand names it lists in the help for eraseVolume. Just a minor change.
I had that originally, but that in turn is contrary to what Disk Utility has for the other file systems. There must be some way to define aliases. Not a biggie, though.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 03:56

Quote:
I had that originally, but that in turn is contrary to what Disk Utility has for the other file systems. There must be some way to define aliases. Not a biggie, though.
Not really. Looking at the names, all the filesystems are shorthand, like "HFS+" and "MS-DOS" and "Linux" and "UFS." It's the variants that get ridiculously long, like "Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+." Since NTFS is a simple filesystem without variations, I think "NTFS-3G" sorta fits in with the scheme.

Just a matter of preference, I suppose. It's not terribly important.

chucker

2007-01-17, 04:02

Quote:
Not really. Looking at the names, all the filesystems are shorthand, like "HFS+" and "MS-DOS" and "Linux" and "UFS." It's the variants that get ridiculously long, like "Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+."
I'm fairly positive that you can type "HFS+J" as an alias for ""Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+". Maybe this is hardcoded in diskutil; maybe it is actually possible to define such aliases. Looking at the other .fs bundles, the FSName property itself is not intended to be a shorthand.

Quote:
Just a matter of preference, I suppose. It's not terribly important.
No, I'm just curious whether it's solvable.

As for an actual problem: for some reason, ntfs-3g doesn't always exit properly.
chucker

2007-01-17, 04:48

There's also a rare condition where DiskArb thinks a volume is still mounted when it's really not. Perhaps you could put 'disktool -r' at the end of Unmount()?
mccoy88f

2007-01-17, 06:20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy88f View Post

I have xcode

Someone can help me???

Check the pkg-config section at http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/wiki/HOWTO

All is ok from pkg-config installed like how to... but nothing change...

I try the previous version of dmg package (MacFuse + NTFS-3g)
it's ok but when i open a txt file (for example) and modify it (adding text) and save
it become "hidden" i cannot find file, i must mount and remount...

WHY??? I don't know???
jeuris

2007-01-17, 07:59

Thanks for all the detailed information guys! I got my NTFS partition working without problems.

There is one minor thing though: with NTFS write support, shouldn't it be possible to change the icon that shows up in bootcamp?

I changed the icon in OS X, and it stays that way (also when I reboot). When I alt-boot though, it shows the regular (HDD) icon.

A bit off-topic, but I was wondering if anybody could help. I must be missing something obvious here...
chucker

2007-01-17, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeuris View Post
Thanks for all the detailed information guys! I got my NTFS partition working without problems.

There is one minor thing though: with NTFS write support, shouldn't it be possible to change the icon that shows up in bootcamp?

I changed the icon in OS X, and it stays that way (also when I reboot). When I alt-boot though, it shows the regular (HDD) icon.

A bit off-topic, but I was wondering if anybody could help. I must be missing something obvious here...
Not missing anything. Thanks to write support, you can change the drive's icon. However, the boot screen when you hold option doesn't actually read that information; Apple's firmware doesn't support it.
jeuris

2007-01-17, 08:25

that's a bummer... Ah well, I'll just stick with the plain icon for now, since I don't want to install rEFIt just for this...
sykosoft

2007-01-17, 08:38

The download links don't appear to be working, is there a mirror?

Thanks,
Michael
chucker

2007-01-17, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykosoft View Post
The download links don't appear to be working, is there a mirror?

Thanks,
Michael
Quote:
Works fine for me. I mirrored them regardless:

http://chucker.mystfans.com/opensour...0_beta6-r3.dmg
http://chucker.mystfans.com/opensour...0070116-r3.dmg
interinv

2007-01-17, 10:09

I installed http://idisk.mac.com/shadowofged/Pub...0_beta6-r3.dmg and http://idisk.mac.com/shadowofged/Pub...0070116-r3.dmg
then i unmounted my ntfs partition and did it in terminal:

interinvs-Computer:/Users/interinv root# mkdir /volumes/Windows
interinvs-Computer:/Users/interinv root# ntfs-3g /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/Windows -o ping_diskarb,volname=Windows,locale=ru_RU

NTFS partition was mounted as read/write and localized.
After rebooting Windows partition was mounted automatically as read/write! but not localized (files with not English names are invisible).
Other thing: if i write or rename file on ntfs partition - the changes become visible only after finder relaunch (but if i delete - all ok)
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by interinv View Post
After rebooting Windows partition was mounted automatically as read/write! but not localized (files with not English names are invisible).
Other thing: if i write or rename file on ntfs partition - the changes become visible only after finder relaunch (but if i delete - all ok)
I'm not sure there's a way to automatically detect the locale of a NTFS volume. There doesn't appear to be anything useful in the output of ntfsinfo. I'll look at it later, but I've got class this afternoon.

_iCeb0x_

2007-01-17, 11:36

Just to inform you guys working hard on this, I have noticed some minor problems:

1. When automounted on login or after restarting the Finder, the NTFS partitions show accurate information on size and free space. However, if you use Disk Utility, it will show the infamous "zero-everything". I have not tried the command-line method, since it's working quite well with Finder.

2. As I am not a real UNIX power-user, I took quite some time to find out that ntfslabel would be in /usr/local/sbin, which was not on my PATH. I recommend adding it to the PATH variable too. My solution is editing ~/.bash_profile and adding the following line:

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH

This way, you don't have to do it manually everytime you close Terminal.

3. My NTFS partition is being shown as a network mount, which seems strange. I've read this whole thread and saw something about this, but I can't find it now...

These are the really minor problems I've seen so far. Apart from these, it seems perfect for me!

Thanks all of you guys (mainly ShadowOfGed and chucker) for the amazing work.

Cheers,
_iCeb0x_
_iCeb0x_

2007-01-17, 12:09

Quote:
This is only true if files are created/modified on the command line. Finder does not update properly when this is done on a NTFS-3G partition, but it does work on HFS. It seems to be the same problem that occurs when someone else creates/modifies a file on a SMB/CIFS share and the Finder does not update properly.

Cheers,
_iCeb0x_
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by _iCeb0x_ View Post
1. When automounted on login or after restarting the Finder, the NTFS partitions show accurate information on size and free space. However, if you use Disk Utility, it will show the infamous "zero-everything". I have not tried the command-line method, since it's working quite well with Finder.
This zero-size problem is known, but I don't know how to fix it. It's not really a problem with our scripts; the cause of that problem lies much deeper, and it's beyond my resources to fix it... and probably chucker's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _iCeb0x_ View Post
3. My NTFS partition is being shown as a network mount, which seems strange. I've read this whole thread and saw something about this, but I can't find it now...
Yeah, this is a decision that was made by the MacFUSE developers, and here's the best explanation I could come up with:
Quote:
Also, the decision to make FUSE appear as a network filesystem is likely due to the fact that the userspace daemons can die, like a network connection might. So it's essentially treating the kernel-to-userspace connection as a netlink, because they both have uncertain reliability when compared to local, in-kernel filesystems.
If you're annoyed by the network volume icon, you can set the volume icon to be something more appropriate, just like you would for any other volume:
  1. Copy your desired icon from anywhere
  2. Open Finder's "Get Info" window for the volume
  3. Click on the small icon in the upper-left corner, and it will become highlighted
  4. Paste (or drag) your desired icon into this area
I used that to make my NTFS volume appear as an external USB volume, which is the correct icon. You can also copy icons from the "Get Info" window, by selecting the icon as described above. So open a volume with the icon you want, copy it, and then paste it into the NTFS volume.

As for the "missing files" issue... Finder sees a network volume, and thus filesystem notifications (that happen on file creation/updates/deletes) are likely disabled. On a regular network filesystem, it's either (a) impossible to implement, or (b) too bandwidth-intensive to justify benefit. Since MacFUSE masquerades as a network filesystem, that's why these things don't work. It also prevents Spotlight from working properly, I think. I'm not sure there's anything we can do about that.

If anyone wants to dig around for solutions, feel free.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 15:17

Quote:
After rebooting Windows partition was mounted automatically as read/write! but not localized (files with not English names are invisible).)
Alright, I've created a new package with a small hack to fix this problem temporarily. It's available here: NTFS-3G 20070116-r4.dmg.

To mount with the correct locale automatically, do the following, where /Volumes/YourVolume is wherever your NTFS volume gets mounted:
Code:
echo "ru_RU" > /Volumes/YourVolume/.ntfslocale
The updated mount script in -r4 will look for this file and--if found--remount your volume with the correct locale set. So you'll have to mount the volume unlocalized once to create the file, but then it *should* work automatically from then on.

If you encounter problems, please let me know. Hope this helps!

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2007-01-17 at 15:24. Reason: I'm insane about formatting...