Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New iMac G5s

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iMac G5s
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
webavatar

2005-05-03, 07:33

CUPERTINO, Calif., May 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple(R) today unveiled a new iMac(R) G5 line with faster 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 processors, built-in AirPort(R) Extreme and Bluetooth wireless connectivity and Mac OS(R) X version 10.4 "Tiger," the latest version of the world's most advanced operating system. The new iMac G5s also include faster graphics, a new 8X SuperDrive(R) with double-layer support, built-in Gigabit Ethernet for faster networking, and 512MB of memory across the line. Every new iMac G5 comes with iLife(R) '05, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications, making it the ultimate consumer desktop for today's digital lifestyle.

"Reviewers have called the iMac G5 'the most elegant desktop computer in the world' and now it's getting even better," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With a faster processor, built-in wireless networking, Tiger and iLife '05, the new iMac G5 offers the best consumer desktop computing experience in the world."

The iMac G5 makes the ultimate statement in design simplicity with the entire computer, including the power supply and slot-load optical drive, built right into a two-inch thin display. The new iMac G5 offers gorgeous widescreen displays including a 20-inch model with 1680-by-1050 pixel resolution or a 17-inch model with 1440-by-900 pixel resolution. With built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11g and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless modules, it's even easier to reduce cable clutter with the optional Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse.

Featuring the breakthrough performance of the PowerPC G5 processor and offering up to a 667 MHz front-side bus, the new iMac G5s include 400 MHz DDR memory expandable to 2GB and storage capacity up to 400GB. All new iMac G5s offer the ATI Radeon 9600 graphics processor with 128MB of dedicated video memory to deliver high-performance graphics and effects for next-generation games and provide ultra-fast, pixel-accurate image processing when combined with the graphics capabilities of Tiger.

Offering the latest high-performance I/O, the new iMac G5s include built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking, built-in AirPort Extreme for fast 54Mbps wireless networking*, built-in Bluetooth, a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire(R) 400 ports for easy plug-and-play connections to popular peripherals such as Apple's market-leading iPod(R) digital music player, digital video camcorders, digital still cameras and printers.

Every new iMac G5 includes Tiger, the fifth major release in four years of the world's most advanced operating system. Tiger delivers more than 200 new features and innovations including Spotlight(TM), a revolutionary desktop search technology that lets users instantly find anything stored on their Mac(R), including documents, emails, contacts and images; and Dashboard, a new way to instantly access important information like weather forecasts and stock quotes, using a dazzling new class of applications called widgets.

The new iMac G5 includes iLife '05, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto(R), iMovie(R), iDVD(R), GarageBand(R) and iTunes(R), the world's number one online music store. iLife '05 continues to lead the industry with the most innovative and comprehensive suite of software for organizing, editing and sharing digital photos; creating stunning digital movies and DVDs; and purchasing, managing and creating digital music.

A collection of productivity and entertainment titles is included with every iMac G5, including AppleWorks, Quicken 2005 for Macintosh(R), 2005 World Book Multimedia Reference Suite, Nanosaur 2 and Marble Blast Gold.

Pricing & Availability

The new iMac G5 line is available immediately through the Apple Store(R) (www.apple.com), at Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), includes:

-- 17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440-by-900 pixels;
-- 1.8 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;
-- 512MB of 400 MHz DDR SDRAM;
-- 24X Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;
-- ATI Radeon 9600 graphics processor with 128MB video memory;
-- Built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR;
-- 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet networking, 56K V.92 Modem;
-- 160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
-- Two FireWire 400, three USB 2.0, two USB 1.1 ports; and
-- Built-in stereo speakers and microphone.

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:
-- 17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440-by-900 pixels;
-- 2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;
-- 8X SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;
-- 160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US), includes:
-- 20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680-by-1050 pixels;
-- 2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;
-- 8X SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;
-- 250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

Build-to-order options and accessories include up to 2GB of RAM, 250GB and 400GB hard drives, AirPort Express(TM) and AirPort Extreme Base Station, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

The new iMac G5 line is also available to education customers in the US and Canada through the Apple Store for Education at www.apple.com/education/store or by calling an Apple education sales representative at 800-800-APPL.

*Actual speed will vary based on range from the base station, environmental conditions and other factors.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

Last edited by webavatar : 2005-05-03 at 07:40.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-05-03, 07:45

What? Apple store is still down! This is good. Need new iMac. Old one dead.
webavatar

2005-05-03, 07:49

I think the low-end Powermac has to die now
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-03, 07:50

whoah - was just talking about this today with 'nut

I dare say g will be happy too!
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-05-03, 07:51

This update is beyond good. Built-in everything. More RAM. Wow. I'm so bloody pleased.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-03, 07:54

You can get the 1.8 ghz 17" iMac for $1199, education price. Or the 2.0 ghz 17" for $1399. That's a damned good price. Nice update, Apple.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-03, 08:01

Yeah, that's an AMAZING update!

All you folks who wanted an iMac G5 but have spent eight months poo-pooing the Rev. A model have nothing left to gripe about now: faster processor, faster SuperDrive, 512MB RAM, huge hard drive boost, huge graphics card boost, AirPort and Bluetooth 2.0 built-in, Gigabit Ethernet(!),Tiger and iLife 05, etc.

And, I think, the 20" is $100 cheaper, right? Didn't it used to be $1899? Holy cow, what a deal!

Now THAT'S a proper update. Easily one of the nicest, "includes everything everyone was screaming about for eight months" updates I've ever seen from Apple...it's almost as though they actually listened to people's wishes! I don't know how they could've done this any better.

thegelding? Pull out that plastic...this is what you were waiting for.

StevesMom

2005-05-03, 08:03

Whoa. Gigabit Ethernet in an iMac ?? I thought this stuff was the exclusive preserve of the "Pro" line ? What next, GigE in an iBook ?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-03, 08:07

I'm almost positive the iMac was 1,799 before. I'll have to check my sales receipt when I get home tonight.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-05-03, 08:08

Wow. That is now a damn fine machine. Might have to find a way to add another one to the computer lab here.
jkloos

2005-05-03, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
I'm almost positive the iMac was 1,799 before. I'll have to check my sales receipt when I get home tonight.
nope goto macmall which han't been updated yet it was 1899
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-05-03, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Now THAT'S a proper update. Easily one of the nicest, "includes everything everyone was screaming about for eight months" updates I've ever seen from Apple...it's almost as though they actually listened to people's wishes! I don't know how they could've done this any better.
OMG, yes, incredible update. I was discussing picking up one for my parents last night and told them to hold on, updates were around the corner. Outside of the processor speed, it's almost like getting a generation bump. No excuse not to get it for them now.

Especially with that $100 edu thing floating around in another thread that someone kindly pointed out.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-03, 08:25

Also, the 512MB is a single DIMM, leaving that other spot wide open and empty, ready to be filled with another 512MB or 1GB.

Very nice, Apple (I fully expected the 512MB RAM, but assumed they would - in typical Apple fashion - go the 2 x 256 route...it's nice to be pleasantly surprised).

I can't find anything wrong or lacking with this update.

The previous one was indeed $1899. You no longer have to pay extra for AirPort or Bluetooth and you STILL save $100. That's just awesome. Apple could've kept this at $1899 and no one would've batted an eye. That they packed all this goodness in there (big hard drive, graphics, Gigabit Ethernet, AirPort and Bluetooth, etc.) AND whacked off $100 is just cool as can be...

As far as I can tell, this Rev. B addresses everything people griped about (and then some!) in the original one, particularly the graphics. If this one doesn't do it for you, you're pretty much a dipshit and I don't wanna hear it. Go complain somewhere else.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-05-03, 08:29

Rock on Apple! This makes the iMac worth it, in every respect now, for the consumer desktop market. The graphics card is what I'm happiest with.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-03, 08:29

Mactracker says old prices (all US$rrp of course) were:

17" 1.6MHz/80GB HD/256MB RAM COMBO $1299
17" 1.8MHz/80GB HD/256MB RAM SUPER $1499
20" 1.8MHz/160GB HD/256MB RAM SUPER $1899

Now we've got

17" 1.8MHz/160GB HD/512MB RAM COMBO + Giga, AE & BT $1299
17" 2.0MHz/160GB HD/512MB RAM SUPER + Giga, AE & BT $1499
20" 2.0MHz/250Gb HD/512MB RAM SUPER + Giga, AE & BT $1799 <- that's excellent value!

Also, better graphics cards + Tiger built-in!

And - as mentioned - even better with edu discounts.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-05-03, 08:35

yeah...

g

feeling lazy today i guess
thegelding
feeling my oats

2005-05-03, 08:41

actually very nice....

can BTO a 400 gig hd

at the edu store it is 1699 for the 20"...added one gig ram on single dimm (leaving the other slot open) and added apple care and it is still under 2 grand

sweet

from 512 to 1 gig is 112 for two dimms, 157 for 1

apple care is 119

how can you go wrong

but have to wait....i am flying out this am and don't want to risk not being home when it comes...so i order next week when i get back (or will order on my trip)

chinney should order one today if the house hasn't sucked up all his cash

g

the main house system going from a 15" FP 800mhz g4 to a 20" 2 ghz G5 should be nice....and i will have a system that will run the sims2 when it comes out this june (for my daughters, not me....those sims freak me out)

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
defaultmike

2005-05-03, 08:55

wow, this was a truly an amazing update. The iMacs already were pretty fast for a consumer computer, so processor speed wasn't the issue with the Rev A iMacs.
The Graphics card jump was incredible.
Hard drives going up to 400Gb !!!!!
And built in Airport extreme and bluetooth 2.0 was sooo unexpected, specially after the new towers not getting them.
The price drop on the high end and 512 as stock Ram were also nice additions. Nice going Apple, this is the sort of thing we were expecting from a powermac update (since u obviously didn't deliver on speed, beef it up with additional stuff or by lowering the price).
thegelding
feeling my oats

2005-05-03, 08:58

oh...and i have been pricing the iMac G5....before this update it was about 400 bucks more to get the 20" with 250 hd and 1 gig of ram and bluetooth....was $2300 with apple care

now it is $1975 for all that with a better graphics card and a faster chip (prices are apple edu store prices...

so i am saving 400 bucks and getting more...thanks apple

ps that is how i will sell it to my wife...honey, i know you don't think we need another computer...but this is actually saving us 400 bucks, not costing us 2000 bucks

mmmmmm, sounds like a great plan to me...but i am brain damaged

g

HEY...if i use that apple edu rebate, brings it down to 1875 with free shipping...it almost feels like i am stealing from apple...20" lcd, 128 graphics, 1 gig ram, 250 HD, airport, bluetooth, 2 ghz G5 all for 1875??? who would have thunk that from apple (or anyone) a couple of years ago....this is a consumer machine??? was beyond what the pros had just 2 years ago...hell, i should be making pixar movies on this puppy

Last edited by thegelding : 2005-05-03 at 09:07.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2005-05-03, 09:37

oh...and

8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) installed; writes DVD+R DL discs at up to 2.4x speed, writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 8x speed, writes DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs at up to 4x speed, reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 8x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed

that is much nicer than previous and the last model had a line in (so does this one), but my iMac FP doesn't...so that will be a nice addition for me....

ship wait of 1-3 days is too fast for me since i am away for over a week...don't trust my family to set it up just the way i like it...so i will have to wait a few days to order...sadness

can't wait for a freakin 20" lcd and 2" deep AOI at my home!!!

thanks apple for making me go into debt, ya bastards

g

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-03, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkloos
nope goto macmall which han't been updated yet it was 1899
Well, my bad. This is really an awesome update. *wonders if I can find a buyer for my rev A iMac...*
blehpunk

2005-05-03, 10:07

Hey I just bought first mac-
• 2GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs
• 400GB Serial ATA drive
• SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
• Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS - U.S. English
• 56Kbps Modem
• 20-inch widescreen LCD
• 2GHz PowerPC G5
• ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB DDR Video Memory
• AirPort Extreme
• Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

do i even need apple care?
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-03, 10:17

NO FIREWIRE 800?!?!?!

That's it, I'm getting a dell.

(j/k of course, this update is excellent)
Noel

2005-05-03, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehpunk
Hey I just bought first mac-
• 2GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs
• 400GB Serial ATA drive
• SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
• Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS - U.S. English
• 56Kbps Modem
• 20-inch widescreen LCD
• 2GHz PowerPC G5
• ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB DDR Video Memory
• AirPort Extreme
• Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

do i even need apple care?
Buy it in 11 months, before the 1-year warranty runs out.
blehpunk

2005-05-03, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
Buy it in 11 months, before the 1-year warranty runs out.
Thanks, I'm very excited. I bought an imac bto last week and then cancelled it to wait for today. I still paid the same price and got a lot more.
Phronetix

Send a message via AIM to Phronetix  
2005-05-03, 10:48

I agree that this is more than the usual update.

Apple once again rewards those in the know with the Rev.B product. It probably could have been predicted when you look at the specs of the Rev.A iMac. A new product design launch always seems to carry an inferior set of components relative to the market it's released into and relative to the future Rev. B model.

From a business standpoint I think Apple's strategy makes sense. The initial release of a new product line will always be more about the design than will the updates. So, while the design is fresh in the minds of the consumer you can maximize your profit margin by spending less on say, 2 two 256 Mb SIMM's instead of one 512 Mb one.

As a consumer this pisses me off. I knew from the very beginning that the 4200rpm hard drives in the Mac Mini were exactly part of this strategy. You can expect 5400 and 7200 rpm drives in the updates. Same with the ram, video cards and lack of bluetooth built-in on the Rev. A iMacs.

On the other hand, I'm glad that I waited and feel comfortable ordering my iMac G5 now. But the wait was torturous, dammit.

I sync therefore I am.
Phronetix 1:24
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-05-03, 10:52

Wow. With Tiger and these new iMacs, Apple is really poised to gain some serious marketshare. Now if only they'd advertise these with as much enthusiasm as they do for iPod.

Shhhh, I can't see!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-03, 10:53

Yeah, this certainly makes me optimistic about the Rev. B Mac mini. If they can do all this to the iMac (addressing all the complaints people had) and still knock $100 off...hmmm.

Gives me hope that the Rev. B mini might have a faster hard drive, better graphics, more RAM, cheaper (or built-in) wireless, etc.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-03, 11:04

Excellent update! The great thing is that now, it's only $50 to upgrade from 256 MB to 512 MB of RAM in the low-end eMac and Mac mini. Very reasonable price now. Since 512 MB DIMMs are $50 today anyway, you're basically trading getting to keep the 256 MB DIMM for having it installed for you. Also, it's only $175 to get a single 1 GB DIMM now in the iMac. That's still a lot to pay considering a 1 GB DIMM from a place like OWC is $120, but didn't it used to be $300 or something insane before?

Yeah. Very nice, very comprehensive update. Everything has been addressed. The GPU is satisfactory and has an excellent complement of VRAM. The $1299 model has more RAM than the $1499 PowerMac G5... hell, even the $999 eMac has more RAM than the $1499 PowerMac now.

EDIT: I noticed Apple claims "nearly 1.4 times the frames per second as Pentium 4." Stupid Apple benchmarks... they compared the iMac to a Dell 4700c, which has a Radeon X300SE, a video card so crippled it makes the old FX5200 look speedy. Oh well, you can't expect them to come out and say "nearly 47% as fast as the $500 PC Luca built for us" can you...

Last edited by Luca : 2005-05-03 at 11:16.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-03, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Yeah. Very nice, very comprehensive update. Everything has been addressed. The GPU is satisfactory and has an excellent complement of VRAM. The $1299 model has more RAM than the $1499 PowerMac G5... hell, even the $999 eMac has more RAM than the $1499 PowerMac now.
They are a bit erratic and all-over-the-place on some of these things, huh? They have sub-$1,000 machines with more this or larger that than machines priced in the mid-$1,000's.

Doesn't bother me but I could see where someone - a newbie or potential switcher, especially - reading a spec sheet and comparing prices/features across several Mac models might get a little confused or frustrated.

They should just have all their stuff sporting 512MB stock, on a single DIMM wherever possible (or soldered on, in the case of the iBook). That would level it all out, give everyone decent, respectable performance right out of the box AND not put people in the position of having to eat or sell a next-to-useless 256MB DIMM...