User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 6
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-04-13, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I don't think anyone ever really liked Samsung phones, but they are cheap and are the best of the bunch among Android devices (which doesn't say much).
I know folks who like the Note, perhaps because there's few competitors in that space (a large smartphone with a pen).
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-04-14, 02:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I know folks who like the Note, perhaps because there's few competitors in that space (a large smartphone with a pen).
I know a couple people around 6'10" and phablets are normal sized phones for them, kinda funny I guess... It's also very popular with women in Asian countries though since they don't need something that fits in an impossibly tight jeans pocket, but a purse/handbag.
Partial
Stallion

2014-05-05, 10:02

The mock-ups circulating the 'net are really pretty. The device is significantly taller and a little wider than I would have thought. I wish the side bezels were non-existant instead of marginally smaller. It's kind of hard to tell on the mock-ups, but they still appear to be significant.

I'm on the 5S right now and could not be happier, so I don't think I'll upgrade early or anything like that, but I'm getting excited for the 6S .

Part of me wonders what the future of these devices holds. I wonder if we will see more extensive and computationally expensive integration points. These devices will continue to get more powerful, yet they are already so fast. They have CPU cycles to spare to do some really unique and cool things. An old, deprecated (iBeacon killed it) example that I always come back to is using the wifi for RTLS tracking and being able to determine approximately where the device is in relation to other wi-fi based objects.

Hopefully battery tech can catch up soon.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-14, 21:09

Before we saw the most recent leaks of dummy phones in both sizes (check out macrumors and 9to5mac), I wasn't really sure that I believed the rumor of there being two new sizes of iPhone (bigger and way bigger). But now I'm convinced.

It seems clear that Apple is no longer viewing larger screens as an ancillary benefit to include on newer phones, like the slightly larger screen (mostly just an aspect ratio change) on the iPhone 5. They now seem to realize that in phones, one size doesn't fit all. Hence the focus on encouraging developers to make apps that adjust elegantly to different sizes.

It also helps that the market seems to be maturing. Cell phones aren't going to keep growing by leaps and bounds forever; we're seeing that start to slow down. For example, here are the screen sizes of the five Galaxy S phones to date:

The S5 has an only imperceptibly larger screen than the S4, probably just so they can put "larger screen!" on the spec sheet. It's not going to keep growing a half inch each year any more—for people who want a larger screen, Samsung offers the Galaxy Note.

In fact, it's telling that seemingly the entire industry has settled around the 4.7-5.2" range for their mainstream "flagship" phones, and many of them offer a larger 5.7–6.3" phone that they don't expect to sell in as large numbers. Sony had the Z and the Z Ultra, HTC has the One and the One Max, LG has the G and the G Flex, and on and on. (The newest "mainstream" G phone is actually 5.5", up from 5.2", but LG has adopted a minimal-bezel design with on-screen buttons—the size of the phone itself remains comparable to the equivalent Galaxy.) I guess what I'm saying is, if Apple were to offer 4.7" and 5.5" phones, I think those sizes would be relevant and roughly competitive for the foreseeable future—it wouldn't be a "half-step" in the same way that the 4" iPhone 5 was. (4.7" is still a slightly smaller screen than most of the "S-Class" competition, but with Apple's symmetrical top and bottom bezels the phone itself would be comparable in size, and I don't expect Apple to drop the symmetrical look.)

The interesting question to me is whether or not Apple would continue developing new models with the 4" form factor, or if they'd just let the 4.7" models eventually replace them. Most of the other makes offer smaller, cheaper versions of their "mainstream" models, too—Samsung offers the S Mini, HTC offers the One Mini, and Sony offers the Z Compact, &c. Of course, Samsung follows Apple's strategy of offering their past two S models at $0 and $99, too, so if you always have to spend $199 to get a larger-than-4" iPhone Apple might keep losing a lot of sales to $99 5" S4s and the like.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2014-06-14 at 22:19. Reason: typos
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-06-14, 23:32

Regarding the larger phone screens - I've been using an HTC One for the past monthish as my only phone*. As much as I dislike Android (there are SO MANY rough edges in the OS), it will be very hard for me to go back to the screen size of the current iPhone. I am hoping that Apple has a larger screen size available with the next iPhone so I can move back to it without hesistation.

As it stands now, the improvements in iOS 8 will be enough to get me back in the iPhone camp but it would be with reservations. An iPhone with a 4.7" screen will get me without a doubt. It would be the first iPhone I've stood in line to get since the iPhone 4.

* One day, I might write up my experiences using an HTC One as a primary phone for a few months. The TL;DR version of it will be something like: I don't know why people willingly choose Android if they don't have some extremely compelling reason to do it. Especially the premium phones which have no cost savings over the iPhone (and actually cost more if you consider that you have to pay $3/month to get visual voicemail and the awful resale value of the devices. You can't even sell an HTC One to gazelle.com if you wanted to - they don't even take the devices!)

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-15, 00:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Regarding the larger phone screens - I've been using an HTC One for the past monthish as my only phone*. As much as I dislike Android (there are SO MANY rough edges in the OS), it will be very hard for me to go back to the screen size of the current iPhone.
Oh, totally. I think not offering larger screen sizes is hands-down the #1 thing hurting Apple in the phone space right now (at least among things in Apple's control). Expanding the line-up has to be Apple's priority this year.

What Eugene said upthread about phablets being like normal phones for tall people is spot on. My bf is 6'9" and he has large hands and he just can't use my iPhone very well, and I'm not sure he could even get better if he got used to it, like it's almost an accessibility issue. When he broke his Galaxy Note he got an LG G Flex, just because it was the biggest phone he could find (6"), and for him it isn't awkwardly large at all—the iPhone is awkwardly small and dainty. He probably would have bought the 6.3" Galaxy Mega if he had known about it, which is just disgustingly large to me, but there you go.

I think if Apple offered a 5.5" iPhone, they'd at least be in the running for his dollars next time. Maybe freakishly tall people aren't exactly a large market, but you just know tons of normal people would buy it and use it as a giant phablet too. And if it was a premium model offered for $299, that would really help boost Apple's margins (which are taking a bit of a hit from cheaper iPads).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-06-16, 13:11

I want my goddamn 3.5-inch iPhone back.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-06-16, 16:50

Apple still sells the 4S. HTH you and the two other 3.5-inchers.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-06-16, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I want my goddamn 3.5-inch iPhone back.
Hear, hear. I don't want a fucking tablet, phablet, fauxblet, or fuckeduptoogoddamnedbigtobeafuckingphoneinmypocket anything.

I *owned* a fucking Newton. I know of what I speak. You think you want the size. You will like it for a while, and then you'll find yourself buying cargo pants to contain it. *CARGO PANTS, PEOPLE*. No one wants that.

The ZOMG I GOTTA HAVE A BIGGER SCREEN insanity is just getting out of hand. You want a tablet? BUY A FUCKING IPAD AND STOP OVERCOMPENSATING.

Some of us already *have* large things taking up our pants space, we don't need to fill the void with a ridiculously sized screen.

And get off my lawn.

<\rant>
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-16, 19:49

4.7" isn't that big. The Moto X has a 4.7" screen and doesn't "feel" any bigger than the iPhone.

I do kind of hope they keep the 4" size around, but I'm not sure they need to.

Eugene
careful with axes

2014-06-16, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I do kind of hope they keep the 4" size around, but I'm not sure they need to.
Right, the 4" iPhone 5[S] fits in my uselessly shallow jean pockets and I'm pretty sure they're keeping that size in the long-term. They just aren't updating it now because they can continue selling the 5S at the same price or at a minimal discount for another year...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-16, 22:56

As I see it the phone ought to be made available in 5 size classes:

1) Economy
2) Compact
3) Mid-Size
4) Luxury
5) Industrial

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-16, 23:07

Well, they already have a C-Class and an S-Class. Might as well add an M-Class and a big daddy G-Wagen.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2014-06-17, 18:31

Bigger is not necessarily better. Just depends how much more it is. I'd probably pay $100 more for a 4.7" screen. I don't think I'd want to go much bigger than that for any price though.

Also, is it going to be wider or just taller?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-08-26, 08:51

Well, Zazzle just posted this fluffy little article today... 5 Tips for Designing iPhone 6 Cases.

It's bereft of specifications, but says that you can see how your existing iPhone 5 case fits on the 6, as it's been automatically exported into the new format for review.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-08-26, 08:57

My guess for the event's tagline: "Welcome to the family" or something similar.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-08-28, 09:46

It wouldn't be an iPhone launch without a rumor of NFC. This year I give it a little credence. I happen to know the new easy pay devices Apple stores switched to in the spring are NFC capable so it's possible.
Dutch Pear

2014-08-28, 11:30

Event officially announced:

"Wish we could say more"

Siri upgrade tying in to the wrist thingy??
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-28, 12:15

The thing that stands out to me from that invite is that it's a very big Apple. Big devices inbound?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-08-28, 17:12

Plus, it's at a big event space, so they definitely felt they needed the room for something.

it's going to be interesting. I can't wait.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-08-28, 19:01

I'm still using a 4S and I can't say I've ever wished the screen were larger.

That said, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a new phone after this upcoming release. I have an offer from Gazelle for $90 that's good until early October in case I do upgrade (my current 4S is unlocked and not under a plan).
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-08-29, 07:45

I thought the same thing about the 4S, but once I had the 5S, looking at the 4S screen is terrible. The size isn't that much bigger to notice once you use it every day.

I guess I'd have the same reaction to a size a tad bigger than the current size as well. I just don't know how the hell I'd carry the damn thing.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-29, 18:50

A video is up that is said to be the actual iPhone 6.

The thing that just looks odd about this is the lens sticking out beyond the body. Other than that it seems like what I have in mind.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-08-30, 08:21

Now that's interesting. I can't tell if I like it or not.

The lens sticking out is definitely odd looking.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-08-30, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
A video is up that is said to be the actual iPhone 6.

The thing that just looks odd about this is the lens sticking out beyond the body. Other than that it seems like what I have in mind.
Steve would never of tolerated that.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-08-30, 11:41

Seems like their relentless drive to make the phone thinner is in conflict with providing an improved camera module. I wonder if it has an effect on the way the phone lays on a flat surface. Personally I'm okay with it especially as I'll most likely use a case. Of course this could be a fake for all we know.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-08-30, 12:09

Well, I assume it would lift up a bit in the area where that lens ring protrudes. How could it not?

$5 says some accessory maker releases three little adhesive circular rubberized pads (in the same diameter and thickness as the lens ring) that people can stick to the other three corners so it lies flat with no "wobble". They'll come in color-matched choices, so they're as "invisible" as possible.

And they'll be $19.99-$24.99, because if the past seven years have shown us anything, it's that there is a market for stupid, expensive shit for one's iPhone...some numbnut(s) out there will buy anything.

I admit it is an odd, un-Apple-y thing to see.
¡Damned!

2014-08-30, 12:49

I don't mind it (in a strictly aesthetic way). It'll make camera accessories quite a bit easier for 3rd parties, since they won't have to include a 'corner thing' to get into the right position.

I will mind it if it scratches my wooden desks. It looks like it has a sharp 90° edge instead of slightly rounded. Metal protruding things like that are not wood friendly.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-30, 14:31

This would be the kind of thing that would make case makers very happy. An invisible case of one like mine* and you won't even notice the camera sticking out.

* I'm actually using the Apple branded leather case again right now though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-08-30, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Steve would never of tolerated that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I admit it is an odd, un-Apple-y thing to see.
The iPod touch has had a very similar protruding camera since 2012. The world didn't end. In fact, nobody noticed (which is why everyone is freaking out about Apple's slipping standards now).

Apple wanted to make a thinner iPhone—and prioritizing thinness was definitely a Jobs value—but they didn't want the camera to get worse. Something had to give.