User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Flashback removal tool

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Flashback removal tool
Rod

2012-04-14, 07:57

Does Lion 10.7 come with Java installed or is this something I would have had to do myself? I am wondering about running the tool.

Thanks,
Rod
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-04-14, 08:27

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion does not ship with Java. It downloads as an on-demand install when needed. Run Software Update to be sure.
Rod

2012-04-14, 08:53

Thanks chucker,

Rod
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-14, 17:19

That said, Java isn't something you really have to go out of your way to find and install with 10.7. Mac OS X will prompt you and automatically download and install the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) the first time you try to run a Java app.

If you want to know if you have Java installed, try to open /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app. If you have Java installed, it will open and give you various options. Else, it will prompt you with a question asking you if you want to install Java (or exit).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2012-04-29, 16:34

I know that the Flashback threat is dying (if not dead), but. Am disappointed in Apple by not releasing a removal tool or update for MacOS X versions before Snow Leopard. I mean my mum still run Leopard and I had to run the terminal commands to check it hadn't picked up anything dodgy.

I know that at OSs have an end of life but Leopard isn't that old and since this is a security issue I would have liked Apple to look after everyone.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-04-29, 17:38

Apple's security policy has, for many years, been to provide updates for the current and previous version. Microsoft has a far lengthier support policy than that. I'm torn on this — if you're still on Leopard, either your machine is a PowerPC, and therefore six-ish (likely more) years old, or you didn't want to spend $29 for Snow Leopard, which, between Leopard and now, would have worked out to ~$6 per year.

I'm far more concerned with the millions of iOS devices that cannot be upgraded and have known security issues.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-04-29, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Apple's security policy has, for many years, been to provide updates for the current and previous version. Microsoft has a far lengthier support policy than that. I'm torn on this — if you're still on Leopard, either your machine is a PowerPC, and therefore six-ish (likely more) years old, or you didn't want to spend $29 for Snow Leopard, which, between Leopard and now, would have worked out to ~$6 per year.

I'm far more concerned with the millions of iOS devices that cannot be upgraded and have known security issues.
I think Snow Leopard is free now, though I believe there are some strings attached.
chucker

2012-04-30, 03:14

I think that's only the case for Mobile Me customers, which were previously paying an annual fee.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-04-30, 03:26

Quote:
I think that's only the case for Mobile Me customers, which were previously paying an annual fee.
Ah, well that would be quite a string indeed.
chucker

2012-04-30, 04:21

Might be recommendable to wait another couple of months and then going straight to 10.8 Mountain Lion, in any case (assuming the machine is recent enough).
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2012-05-01, 02:12

Quote:

Yeah I guess that has been Apple's policy for a while, but I reckon that critical security patches hold still covered, at least for Leopard. Especially if Apple moves to this update every year. Within 2 years you could a system has un-patched security holes.

Oh well I guess that we will see how it goes.