Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!
Page 5 of 13 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
BountyKilla

2007-01-17, 15:19

I've had a few problems with FUSE but I have whittled it down to this last error:

Quote:
Lazerus:~ ibook$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/"Kousei" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Kousei"
mount_fusefs: fusefs@0 on /Volumes/Kousei: Operation not permitted

I'm Stuck now and still can't Mount. If you haven't figured out by now I am as green as Kermit here, Help Please!!!
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyKilla View Post
I'm Stuck now and still can't Mount. If you haven't figured out by now I am as green as Kermit here, Help Please!!!
Try giving the latest MacFUSE and NTFS-3G packages a spin, and see if the automatic mounting (through Disk Utility, etc...) works for you.

The goal here is to make it unnecessary to use the command line to access NTFS-3G. The latest versions are MacFUSE 0.1.0_beta6-r3 and NTFS-3G 20070116-r4. The links are above. You'll have to restart your computer after installing the new NTFS-3G for the first time, but from then on automatic mounting should work.

It's been working for me, and for a few others. If these new packages give you trouble, please let me know. The download links are listed a few posts up, so find 'em there...

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
BountyKilla

2007-01-17, 15:40

OK I tried the new packages. I get the mount automatically, but it says 0KB avail.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 15:44

Quote:
OK I tried the new packages. I get the mount automatically, but it says 0KB avail.
This is a known issue with no known solution. Run this command in the Terminal to restart Finder, and it will show up correctly.
Code:
killall Finder
BountyKilla

2007-01-17, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
This is a known issue with no known solution. Run this command in the Terminal to restart Finder, and it will show up correctly.
Code:
killall Finder
Is there a way for me the actual transfer speeds. right now i'm copying a file and it seems a bit slow. When the file was formated as FAT32 the transfer took 15 min. Now its taking about 4 hours. Is ther a way to speed the transfer speeds up.

Last edited by BountyKilla : 2007-01-17 at 16:17.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-17, 16:41

Quote:
I'm not sure there's a way to automatically detect the locale of a NTFS volume. There doesn't appear to be anything useful in the output of ntfsinfo. I'll look at it later, but I've got class this afternoon.

The locale of an NTFS volume is UTF-8. File names that don't show up properly are a bug on Windows's side.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-17, 16:45

Quote:
Is there a way for me the actual transfer speeds. right now i'm copying a file and it seems a bit slow. When the file was formated as FAT32 the transfer took 15 min. Now its taking about 4 hours. Is ther a way to speed the transfer speeds up.
Nope. You could turn off sync support in MacFUSE, but that's very dangerous.

NTFS-3G isn't optimized yet, and there's virtually nothing we can do in that area but wait.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The locale of an NTFS volume is UTF-8. File names that don't show up properly are a bug on Windows's side.
Yeah... I was reading the NTFS-3G FAQ about it, and it sounds like they have to convert *to* UTF-8 from whatever is stored on the filesystem. I dunno... the .ntfslocale hack should be a stop-gap solution.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
interinv

2007-01-18, 04:32

Quote:
Alright, I've created a new package with a small hack to fix this problem temporarily. It's available here: NTFS-3G 20070116-r4.dmg.
the link is not downloadable, sorry
agnivarsh

2007-01-18, 16:28

I need some help. I installed the latest versions of macfuse and ntfs-3g from this forum and was delighted to see my vista ntfs drive (macbook pro with 3 partitions osx, hfsdata and ntfsvista) mount r/w. I tested to see if it works by deleting a temp file and everything was fine.
Now when i reboot into vista (i use refit for the dual booting) it starts loading vista and then crashes (i cant see the bluescreen error message because it reboots too fast). I tried booting in safe mode - and it crashes after it loads the file crcdisk.sys. From what i learned crcdisk.sys is a Disk Block Verification Filter Driver. I figured I might be able to fix this by booting into the vista install dvd to perform a repair - but when i boot from it the dvd doesn't even recognize the partition to be ntfs formatted. This is strange because osx still sees it as ntfs and i can see and access all the files on it from within OSX.
So I have a couple of questions:
1) What could I try to fix this problem? Could macfuse or ntfs-3g have done something to the partition to make it unreadable by windows?
2) What is the method to completely remove macfuse and ntfs-3g (especially if i installed using the pkg installers)?

Greatly appreciate any help!
interinv

2007-01-19, 06:52

Quote:
Alright, I've created a new package with a small hack to fix this problem temporarily. It's available here: NTFS-3G 20070116-r4.dmg.

To mount with the correct locale automatically, do the following, where /Volumes/YourVolume is wherever your NTFS volume gets mounted:
Code:
echo "ru_RU" > /Volumes/YourVolume/.ntfslocale
The updated mount script in -r4 will look for this file and--if found--remount your volume with the correct locale set. So you'll have to mount the volume unlocalized once to create the file, but then it *should* work automatically from then on.

If you encounter problems, please let me know. Hope this helps!

OK, i downloaded it at last (found a mirror), all work great exept 1 thing:
i have 3 ntfs partitions on 3 hdds, 2 of them are 1st partition and 1 is second.
If i start w/o .ntfslocale on partitions - all of them mounted automatically,
but when i start with .ntfslocale on partitions - only partitions that are 1st on hdd mount automatically,
the partition that is 2nd on hdd not mounts and i need to mount it by hands
chumsdock

2007-01-19, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by interinv View Post
OK, i downloaded it at last (found a mirror), all work great exept 1 thing:
Can you tell me a mirror? I still can't find an available one.
chumsdock

2007-01-19, 11:31

btw, NTFS-3G has another update, 20070118 beta
Shall I expect a new build with a better automount?

Thank you, ShadowOfGed and chunker and everyone.
homer007

2007-01-19, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumsdock View Post
Can you tell me a mirror? I still can't find an available one.
Thanks for your hard work ShadowOfGed!! Works fine for me, can someone please mirror NTFS-3G 20070116-r4 the link originally provided by ShadowOfGed is down thanks!!!!

Last edited by homer007 : 2007-01-19 at 22:30.
Built Like A Rock

2007-01-19, 17:39

Hello I'm new here. I was able to get read and write working on my windows ntfs partition. The only problem now is that whenever I boot up I get a flashing globe/world icon for 30-45 seconds and then I get the apple icon and then my computer loads. Then when I shut down when it gets to the blue screen right before it shuts down I get the black loading circle for 30-45 seconds and then finally turns off. Does anyone know whats causing the problem and can help me? I'm confused as what I'm suppose to do to fix this. If someone can help me It would be very appreciated. I don't like how it takes forever to boot up and shut down. Anyway thanks!
chucker

2007-01-19, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer007 View Post
can someone please mirror NTFS-3G 20070116-r4 the link originally provided by ShadowOfGed is down thanks!!!!
http://chucker.mystfans.com/opensour...0070116-r4.dmg
chucker

2007-01-19, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Like A Rock View Post
The only problem now is that whenever I boot up I get a flashing globe/world icon for 30-45 seconds and then I get the apple icon and then my computer loads.
Go to System Preferences, Startup Disk, and select your Mac OS X partition.
homer007

2007-01-19, 22:33

Quote:
Thankyou!!
Built Like A Rock

2007-01-20, 00:53

Quote:
Go to System Preferences, Startup Disk, and select your Mac OS X partition.
Thanks Chucker! Now do you know how to fix the shut down problem I'm having? It takes extra time to shut down. I get the black loading circle over the blue screen for about 30-45 seconds before actually turning off. Does anyone else have this problem?
chucker

2007-01-20, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Like A Rock View Post
Thanks Chucker! Now do you know how to fix the shut down problem I'm having? It takes extra time to shut down. I get the black loading circle over the blue screen for about 30-45 seconds before actually turning off. Does anyone else have this problem?
Sounds unrelated. Clear caches?
Built Like A Rock

2007-01-20, 02:55

Quote:
Sounds unrelated. Clear caches?
How do you do that?
chucker

2007-01-20, 02:56

http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...71&postcount=5
Built Like A Rock

2007-01-20, 03:13

Quote:
I cleared the caches as found how to do in that post. I then rebooted and then rebooted again and I still get that black loading circle when I shut down. Ever since I installed MacFuse and the NTFS 3G driver its been like that. Did I type something wrong in terminal? I used the installer packages for MacFuse and NTFS 3G driver. But I used terminal for setting it up right afterwards using instructions found on another forum. I do remember getting this same thing when I had ShapeShifter installed. But once I uninstalled that and the bundled application enhancer it didn't do that anymore. I don't know if anyone else is getting the same extra waiting time on their shut downs after having installed MacFuse and NTFS 3G. It's a minor problem but sort of annoying at the same time!
b1u3

2007-01-20, 11:58

Thanks for compiling those packages gang! Very much appreciated! I'm up and running with my NTFS volumes (auto-mounted, full read-writable).

However, it seems I lost the ability to boot back into XP with Boot Camp. The XP volume is no longer available in the OS X Startup Disk control panel after installing MacFuse. The XP volume is still viewable in Finder/Disk Utility. For what it's worth, I am able to rerun the Boot Camp install, insert the XP CD, which actually boots me back into my XP partition. I can't say for sure that MacFuse is the cause, but I've been able to boot back and forth normally ever since installing BootCamp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your efforts with a easy ntfs-3g install!

Blue
chucker

2007-01-20, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1u3 View Post
However, it seems I lost the ability to boot back into XP with Boot Camp. The XP volume is no longer available in the OS X Startup Disk control panel after installing MacFuse.
That's a known issue. You can, however, hold the option key when rebooting and select your Windows partition there.

Quote:
I can't say for sure that MacFuse is the cause
Startup Disk doesn't recognize that your NTFS partition is mounted. I don't know if we can fix this.
dude

2007-01-20, 12:44

Hi,

I've been eying this thread since post 5 and wanted to say thanks for making it easier by compiling the latest builds. I just wanted to post feedbacks on a few issues with ext USB drives. I don't know if they pertain to MacFuse or NTFS-3G and whether or not they are still a limitation to the development. I'm basing these results against Fuse and NTFS-3G for Linux, which is VERY stable.

1. When writing to ext drive, Finder crashes. I can reproduce the crash and post the log if needed.
2. Writing to ext USB drive is very slow. A single file over 600mb takes more than 20 minutes to complete.
3. Moving files from internal NTFS root to sub dirs and vice versa is very slow.

I will also post this on the dev site and see if I can get clarification on my issues. I just wanted to post my results on the latest builds.
chucker

2007-01-20, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
Hi,

I've been eying this thread since post 5 and wanted to say thanks for making it easier by compiling the latest builds.
You're quite welcome.

Quote:
I just wanted to post feedbacks on a few issues with ext USB drives. I don't know if they pertain to MacFuse or NTFS-3G and whether or not they are still a limitation to the development. I'm basing these results against Fuse and NTFS-3G for Linux, which is VERY stable.

1. When writing to ext drive, Finder crashes. I can reproduce the crash and post the log if needed.
Please do provide the log. I have yet to test this with USB, however; only FireWire, where it works fine.

Quote:
2. Writing to ext USB drive is very slow. A single file over 600mb takes more than 20 minutes to complete.
3. Moving files from internal NTFS root to sub dirs and vice versa is very slow.

I will also post this on the dev site and see if I can get clarification on my issues. I just wanted to post my results on the latest builds.
Do post this (and the log) on the macfuse-devel (http://groups.google.com/group/macfu...l/topics?hl=en) mailing list.
dude

2007-01-20, 13:24

I'll post the crash logs when I get back to the house. Thanks for posting the Goup link, I don't know how i missed that link on the dev site. Additionally, there is an " Impending 0.1.0b007 release" scheduled. Looking forward to that one .

In the mean time, is there any way possible to disable NTFS-3G from mounting external USB drives? I really hope there is such an option to which drives i want to mount using NTFS-3G and which I want as read only, because I hot swap many drives.
chucker

2007-01-20, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
In the mean time, is there any way possible to disable NTFS-3G from mounting external USB drives? I really hope there is such an option to which drives i want to mount using NTFS-3G and which I want as read only, because I hot swap many drives.
Not at this point, no.

If you could place an empty file named '.ntfsreadonly' in the root directory of any partition you want mounted as read-only, and then edit /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/ntfs-3g.util to replace its Probe () function as follows:
Code:
function Probe () { # Throw away the -p or -P argument that got us here case "$1" in -p|-P) shift ;; *) ;; esac # Get the device and further info DEVICE=`GetDevice "$1"` CLEAN=`/usr/local/bin/ntfsinfo -m "${DEVICE}" 2>&1 | grep 'Volume Information' | wc -l` LABEL=`/usr/local/sbin/ntfslabel -n "${DEVICE}"` CODE=$? if [ ${CODE} -ne 0 -o ${CLEAN} -ne 1 ]; then # Either the label lookup failed, or the volume is dirty # So fail to mount return -2 # FSUR_UNRECOGNIZED else # The volume is clean and we have a label READONLY=`/usr/local/bin/ntfsls -aq "${DEVICE}" 2>&1 | grep '.ntfsreadonly' | wc -l` if [ ${READONLY} -eq 1 ]; then # The user requested to use Apple's read-only NTFS implementation return -2 # FSUR_UNRECOGNIZED else echo -n "${LABEL}" # Print label return -1 # FSUR_RECOGNIZED fi fi return 1 }
That might do the trick. However, I haven't tested this at all.
dude

2007-01-20, 16:59

Thanks chucker. Unfortunately, I'm not able to try ut myself since i'm stuck on a linux server atm. I will give feedback when I'm able to do so.

regards

edit:

I had a hell of a time adding .ntfsreadonly file to ntfs partition. Under Tiger, it always errors with "only reserved for system file". Nano didn't help either. I had to mount the ext drive to a Windows machine and create the file with winrar since creating any file starting with "." isn't supported in Windows.

The method works, however, there are some anomalies. The first is that all drive mounted with ntfs-3g doesn't tell me how much space I have left (zero capacity) anymore, and the first minute of boot, copying any file to an ntfs-3g file system will say "not enough disk space" even though i have 10gig available.

greets!

Last edited by dude : 2007-01-20 at 18:57. Reason: added results to chucker's mod