User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
baseball
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2008-05-03, 15:58

Where can I watch or listen to a full (or at least constant 30minutes) american baseball match online, when I am in the UK?
Everywhere I have found says it's unavailable outside the US.
I believe there might be some live matches starting in a few minutes? Are their radio stations that will be commentating on them, but I could be completely wrong!

I don't really understand baseball which doesn't really help my searches! (it's not for my own interest, I need about 30minutes audio of baseball commentary for a show I am doing... the same show that needs an episode of Hollywood Squares that I posted about a few days ago, infact!).

Cheers in advance =]

Jon Hole
http://www.jonhole.co.uk
15" PowerBook G4 Combo, 1GB RAM
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-05-03, 16:34

You should be able to do the mlb.com audio pass. I could be wrong. But audio has different blackout restrictions.

If you sign up you could, however, download old games. That should not be blacked out.

Go to here to check it out.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-05-03, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancomb Seepgood View Post
You should be able to do the mlb.com audio pass. I could be wrong. But audio has different blackout restrictions.

If you sign up you could, however, download old games. That should not be blacked out.

Go to here to check it out.
I noticed this:

Quote:
Welcome to MLB.com/Downloads. Choose from a variety of games from the 2007 season as well as Classic Games and MLB.com Original Programs.

All items are Windows Media file formatted, and you must have Windows Media Player 10.0 [or higher] installed on your PC to play any of these purchases. Video playback of MLB.com/Downloads purchases is not fully supported on Mac computers.

If you have any questions please contact Customer Service at 866.800.1275 or e-mail customerservice@website.mlb.com
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-03, 16:56

Wow, you'd think they'd have figured out something like video playback by now. Sad. (But, can't expect much else from an industry that makes the RIAA look like cute cuddly kittens...)
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-05-03, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Wow, you'd think they'd have figured out something like video playback by now. Sad. (But, can't expect much else from an industry that makes the RIAA look like cute cuddly kittens...)
MLB.com uses Silverlight...surprise!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-03, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
MLB.com uses Silverlight...surprise!
Wow, worse than I thought.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-05-03, 22:11

Quote:
If you have any questions please contact Customer Service at 866.800.1275 or e-mail customerservice@website.mlb.com
I just emailed my thoughts. I encourage others to do the same.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-03, 22:18

I am appalled that MLB has chosen to lock itself into a short-sighted partnership with Microsoft over the use of Silverlight in the distribution of its media content. As a Mac user, this means that I can not fully access and enjoy MLB content. Given that Mac marketshare is nearing 10% overall in the US, and some estimates have it approaching 20% in the consumer market (and accelerating), I cannot fathom why MLB has taken this direction, deliberately locking out as much as 1/5 of the potential market. This smells of bad leadership and a fundamental misunderstanding of the market for your audience.

Furthermore, I find the decision to use a proprietary codec system to be decidedly bizarre, given the lessons learned from the music industry. I can think of no other reason why you would treat your customers this way other than to try and lock down your content using DRM. While that is your prerogative, understand that is my prerogative as a consumer to simply find my MLB content... elsewhere. The RIAA is losing their business model - be careful you don't follow in their footsteps.

------

Too harsh? What's most fun is that I don't even watch baseball. I think it's boring as hell to watch on TV.
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-05-03, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I noticed this:
It works. I do it myself all the time. Never had one problem.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-05-03, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn View Post

"What's that you say? You love Silverlight? Great!"

Quote:
I am appalled that MLB has chosen to lock itself into a short-sighted partnership with Microsoft over the use of Silverlight ... This smells of bad leadership ...
From this man?

Who'd have thought it?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-05-06, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn View Post
Yikes! What have I done?

Quote:
I am appalled that MLB has chosen to lock itself into a short-sighted partnership with Microsoft over the use of Silverlight in the distribution of its media content. As a Mac user, this means that I can not fully access and enjoy MLB content. Given that Mac marketshare is nearing 10% overall in the US, and some estimates have it approaching 20% in the consumer market (and accelerating), I cannot fathom why MLB has taken this direction, deliberately locking out as much as 1/5 of the potential market. This smells of bad leadership and a fundamental misunderstanding of the market for your audience.

Furthermore, I find the decision to use a proprietary codec system to be decidedly bizarre, given the lessons learned from the music industry. I can think of no other reason why you would treat your customers this way other than to try and lock down your content using DRM. While that is your prerogative, understand that is my prerogative as a consumer to simply find my MLB content... elsewhere. The RIAA is losing their business model - be careful you don't follow in their footsteps.

------

Too harsh? What's most fun is that I don't even watch baseball. I think it's boring as hell to watch on TV.
Did you actually send that as an email? I had to laugh when I read how 'appalled' you were, since I already knew how you felt about watching baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancomb Seepgood
It works. I do it myself all the time. Never had one problem.
I see you have an MBP, and I'm glad to hear downloads work fine for you. So, then, I have to wonder why they say the downloads aren't fully supported for Macs.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-05-06, 19:18

Quote:
Yikes! What have I done?
I'd actually (surprise) had a few beers when I did that. Never even bothered to check if it worked on the Mac or not.

So far I've received about half a dozen nearly identical automated responses from MLB. They're very concerned about my issue and are working on it! Yay!
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-05-06, 20:00

Quote:
I see you have an MBP, and I'm glad to hear downloads work fine for you. So, then, I have to wonder why they say the downloads aren't fully supported for Macs.
Not sure. I was simply stating my personal experience with mlb.com downloads. Just because he has a mac shouldn't deter him from signing up...