User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Is it normal to have several (not responding) processes in Activity Monitor?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is it normal to have several (not responding) processes in Activity Monitor?
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-30, 22:42

Since Yosemite I've become a bit less trusting in my Mac's performance. Which isn't to say it's worse exactly, just that, it seems different enough that I've taken a greater interest in leaving Activity Monitor open and keeping an eye towards it to see if anythings anomalous crops up. I've noticed that I have between 4 or 5 processes that always show up and always turn (Not Responding). One of them is Google Chrome Helper, another is IdentityServicesD another is CoreAudiod. They don't seem to take any CPU and they just sit there and seem to be fairly innocuous, but I'm just wondering if this sort of thing is normal? What might be causing it? is it just because nothing is using them or something? Glitches or incompatibility?

Possibly related: I've had a few issues with restarting and shutting down my iMac recently. The last time I did it it was smooth, but several times prior it has hung completely and I've had to force shut down. Not sure what I might have changed that made it work fine the last time around though.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-10-31, 00:16

Have you tried killing the processes? Most processes like the ones mentioned will auto restart.

There were times during the Yosemite early dev builds that I would see things like that on the odd occasion, but not in the GM or release builds. I'm assuming you've done basic stuff like repairing permissions and checking to make sure all your software is up to date. Having noted your posts here, and in 10.10 thread, I'm not sure why you've seen such a degradation in performance. Have you also been watching RAM usage? Sometimes when you get apps/core"xxx" stuff not working it can really hog memory and slow your system down.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-10-31, 01:42

Ya, I can kill them just fine and they go away, for a while at least. But they tend to come back eventually
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-31, 21:35

Not Responsive is normal now when the OS thinks you don't need it anymore. Remember hearing about the keynote where the talked about stopping Safari from overrunning your machine when it's in the background? I see it on my work machine where I have more open than normal. You don't need to kill the processes, just let the OS do it's thing and you're fine.

The time to worry about it is when yo are actively working in an app and then it goes unresponsive. That's the time you need to be worried about if it's a big deal or not and possibly force quit the app.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.