User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Zip files between PC & Mac ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Zip files between PC & Mac ?
Nico_from_Paris

2004-09-25, 16:24

I am going to switch from PC world to Apple one (actually waiting for my iMac G5 20" to be delivered, it shipped 3 days ago from China). Since I have a couple of files to transfer to the iMac (mainly jpg photo, docs, ...) I wanted to burn a CD and have it read by the iMac. Since my data take more space than a CD allows, I want to zip them.
Did a test with a friend already using iMac G4, sending him by email a file I zipped (.zip file). He can't open it.
Does anymone has some idea ?
Many thanks
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-25, 16:35

What program did you use to zip the file?

For long as I can remember, there has been a way to expand zipped files on a Mac. In Mac OS X 10.3, zipped files can be double-clicked and should expand automatically with the system's "BOMArchiveHelper" facility. If not or if it's an older system, the free Stuffit Expander applcation (which has been included with all Macs for many years) should be able to expand the zip file.

On a related note, there are other ways to transfer your files other than by burning to a CD. If you have a LAN, you could simply plug in your new iMac and turn on file sharing on either your PC or Mac to copy the files over.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
gsxrboy

2004-09-25, 19:50

Perhaps it didnt have the .zip extension on the name? since stupid windows gets all hurt and offended by that..

Doubling up on compression questions... Anyone know how to decompress .7z on a mac?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-25, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy
Anyone know how to decompress .7z on a mac?
As far as I can tell, no one has made a full port of it yet. I don't see one happening any time soon unless it becomes more mainstream; this is the first time I've heard of it. However, there is a Unix/Linux command-line version available. The source is available here and might compile fine on Mac OS X (or will probably need just minor modifications).

edit: Correction! It looks like the SF page has a Java version. I downloaded it and it appears that it should work perfectly fine on Mac OS X. Granted, I have no 7z files to test it, but it looks legit...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psychy

2005-05-25, 08:10

Any chance you could post the direct URL to the download page at which this java-based 7z program for Mac OS X is located? I tried to search SourceForge but it always gives me an error message stating that the site's search engine is down and there's literally hundreds of pages of Mac programs listed at the site so it would take me days to try and find it that way. BTW, when you said SF, you did mean SourceForge right? I'll feel pretty stupid if that isn't the case.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-25, 08:13

Why don't you just burn two CDs? They're like 3 cents each.
rasmits
rams it

2005-05-25, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Why don't you just burn two CDs? They're like 3 cents each.
That would be too easy.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-05-25, 10:42

Just so you know: there is little point in zipping files that already have heavy compression, such as video, music and JPEG files. Word documents and the like are very compressible, but there's probably not much point unless you have several thousand of them. If most of your data (in terms of megabytes) is photos, music and video, then zipping them will probably not help you by more than 10%.

Other options for transferring files include a home network, an iPod or similar music player, a USB Flash drive, or a CD-RW that you can burn multiple times.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-27, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychy
Any chance you could post the direct URL to the download page at which this java-based 7z program for Mac OS X is located?
Use the link I already posted. Simply scroll down a bit and click the download link by the java_lzma entry. On the following page, click "Download java_lzma_412b.tar.bz2" (or whatever the current version may be) and you should be able to select a mirror.

Disclaimer: As I mentioned, I haven't actually tried the java version because I don't have any 7z files sitting around to use for testing.

Nainto

2005-05-28, 09:47

Fink has p7zip in its archives. It is really simple if you download FinkCommander because all you have to do is press some buttons.