AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iOS 9 is out, you know...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS 9 is out, you know...
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-09-29, 05:38

While it may increase data usage, I think this is a terrific feature. There are so many public and free wifi spots that are terrible, but usually better than using cellular data. Hell, it even happens on the 3rd floor of my house sometimes where my wireless doesn't reach.

Having something to fall back on is awesome.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-09-29, 05:43

I understand. but for everyone not on unlimited data, a heads up (or the feature not being turned on by default) might've been a better approach.

There's no telling how many folks may get a little jolt on their next bill. I was certainly on my way to an overage charge, despite doing nothing different in my usage...and I actually pay attention to this stuff. Most people, I suspect, don't.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-09-29, 07:15

This is true, if you're still on one of the smaller data plans.

I finally gave up my unlimited plan a few months ago when the wifey and I consolidated our plans. Tethering became a more important issue for me, so we switched to the Mobile Data Share and get 15GB between the two of us with rollover data. Works out perfectly.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-09-29, 11:54

I had the issue this month because we had a vacation in there and my wife shared her data connection with my kid's iPads. She used over 4GB alone where she normally only uses a few hundred MB.

We are on a spacial 7GB shared plan with our roll over from last month putting us at almost 10GB available this month.

Do I like the feature for cell assist, yes. In a case like mine though, paying $15 for only 1GB is absurd when it is because a number of the hotspots I hit were crappy.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wrao
Yarp

2015-10-06, 19:37

Just noticed a pretty subtle change to messages. In iOS 8 and prior, when you sent someone an image in Messages you could click a list view of all the images sent and they would have, for the most part, their native file names. Now, every image is renamed(at least within the app), simply, 'photo'. I suspect this might be for security or privacy reasons. Image metadata and names can be loopholes in privacy. I remember Google+ one time finding a friend's account that was totally private but when I clicked on their profile photo the filename still displayed on the side which, isn't difficult to see how that could reveal information. Or maybe something else entirely.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-10-22, 19:49

After a few weeks of use - and contrary to my first impressions - iOS 9 is not good on my old iPad 2. There is a lot of laggy - very laggy - behaviour. Most annoying is that sometimes the screen stops responding to tactile input for anywhere from 2-30 seconds. I just sit there waiting, and eventually it does respond, but in the meantime I am frustrated. And this is not unusual, but something that happens repeatedly. Argh.

Maybe 9.1 will fix it.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2015-10-23, 05:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
After a few weeks of use - and contrary to my first impressions - iOS 9 is not good on my old iPad 2. There is a lot of laggy - very laggy - behaviour. Most annoying is that sometimes the screen stops responding to tactile input for anywhere from 2-30 seconds. I just sit there waiting, and eventually it does respond, but in the meantime I am frustrated. And this is not unusual, but something that happens repeatedly. Argh.

Maybe 9.1 will fix it.
Same behaviour noticed in Messages on my iPhone 6 Plus. Damn irritating.
Also, rotation of screen sometimes flaky / laggy

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2015-10-24 at 04:16.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2015-10-23, 06:25

I've been afraid to install it on my iPad Mini (original model, which has the same guts as the iPad 2). Has anyone else done that and been happy? Sounds like Chinney isn't having a good time...

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-10-23, 14:55

I downloaded the 9.1 update this morning. So far it seems quite a bit better, if not entirely better.

The new OS is maybe still a bit of a stretch for this old hardware, but performance seems to be well within acceptable parameters. No worse that iOS 8. Admittedly, that was my impression after I first downloaded 9.0 and I only realized that there were problems after I had used it for a while. I will post a further update next week.

Wrao
Yarp

2015-10-23, 15:36

Yeah. 9.1 seems like it's all together just a bit more polish. I'm not really finding anything that's bugging me since installing it, where after installing 9.0 there were immediately a few things that stood out. Who knows though, could just be perceptual, but I'll take it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-10-24, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I understand. but for everyone not on unlimited data, a heads up (or the feature not being turned on by default) might've been a better approach.

There's no telling how many folks may get a little jolt on their next bill. I was certainly on my way to an overage charge, despite doing nothing different in my usage...and I actually pay attention to this stuff. Most people, I suspect, don't.

Shocking. No, really.

I said this would happen.

Anyone who didn't see this one coming may want to undergo some testing for your obviously missing/damaged clue gene.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2015-10-24, 09:40

That's just depressing.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-10-24, 20:21

Quote:

Shocking. No, really.

I said this would happen.

Anyone who didn't see this one coming may want to undergo some testing for your obviously missing/damaged clue gene.
Apple needs to start using the status bar and control center to actually show some useful information. The WiFi symbol in the status bar should change when WiFi assist is activated and possibly even show data transfer speed in some way. Control center should easily allow you to toggle it on/off without going deep into the settings app.

Apple should also work to make your monthly data usage and cap clearer to users... they should work with carriers to provide a real time update against your data plan somewhere and also include warnings.

I've chewed threw my data plan in record speed with iOS 9 and Apple Music.

One last thing.... 3D Touch in Control Center PLEASE.... add a 3D touch effect to the WiFi on/off button so that you can choose a WiFi network from control center.... and choose not to join a network easily.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-10-24, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Yeah. 9.1 seems like it's all together just a bit more polish. I'm not really finding anything that's bugging me since installing it, where after installing 9.0 there were immediately a few things that stood out. Who knows though, could just be perceptual, but I'll take it.
It seems that they turned down the Touch ID speed on the 6S with 9.1 Prior to the update Touch ID was honestly too fast.... it made it impossible to use the home button to turn the screen on and check notifications, time, and/or pull up music controls. Now it is almost possible to do those tasks. It's obvious Apple needs to rethink the lock screen now that touch ID is so fast.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-10-25, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Apple needs to start using the status bar and control center to actually show some useful information. The WiFi symbol in the status bar should change when WiFi assist is activated and possibly even show data transfer speed in some way. Control center should easily allow you to toggle it on/off without going deep into the settings app.

Apple should also work to make your monthly data usage and cap clearer to users... they should work with carriers to provide a real time update against your data plan somewhere and also include warnings.

I've chewed threw my data plan in record speed with iOS 9 and Apple Music.
I agree. A brand new feature most knew nothing about (it's not given "marquee feature" status on Apple's site, so who could blame them). Most "normal" people don't pore over all that stuff anyway. As long as they got a bigger screen, new emojis and their Facebook app works, that's about as far into the weeds as many ever get about this stuff. It's only after the shit hits the fan* (and/or they read about it on Yahoo or CNN) that they're suddenly aware of something like this.

I said upthread all Apple had to do was insert a simple heads-up via a little attention-getting message upon rebooting after installing iOS 9 (or buying/setting up a new iPhone), letting the user know this new feature is turned on by default and what it does. That's it. Everyone would've know and could've made an informed decision that suited them and their particular situation. And all this is a non-issue.

Or, if that's just too much trouble, then perhaps don't have it turned on by default (and let the customer discover it for themselves, should the need arise)?

*I'm well aware that your carrier will notify you with a text alert as you're nearing your data usage limit for your plan. But that's not the point because if, like me, you go an entire month and barely hit 10% of your allotment (and it's nothing you ever have to think or worry about, or plan around), by the time you get that alert, then you're scrambling to temporarily adjust your usage habits (and worrying about every little megabyte)...so you're still up against it and inconvenienced, even if you manage to stay under your limit and not incur overage charges. The text alert isn't much help if you've gone past 90% of your allotment and you've still got 15-20 days left on your cycle. I should never have to worry about that, if my usage patterns/habits aren't changing month to month (and they aren't).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2015-10-25 at 12:41.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-11-23, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
I downloaded the 9.1 update this morning. So far it seems quite a bit better, if not entirely better.

The new OS is maybe still a bit of a stretch for this old hardware, but performance seems to be well within acceptable parameters. No worse that iOS 8. Admittedly, that was my impression after I first downloaded 9.0 and I only realized that there were problems after I had used it for a while. I will post a further update next week.
Well, at first 9.1 was better, but after a week it seemed to acquire a few hiccups and lags, like 9.0 developed. Not as bad as 9.0, but still annoying.

But none of that is an issue anymore, as I now have an iPad Air 2. Birthday gift. And as you would expect, iOS 9 is smooth as silk on the new machine. Man that thing is fast.

I gave my old iPad to my son, and used the opportunity to restore it to factory settings, setting it up for him from scratch. I had read somewhere that this solved some iOS 9 issues on older machines. I had not done a clean reinstall on my old iPad since I first got it. Sure enough, it is now working well for my son.

Last edited by Chinney : 2015-11-24 at 06:59.
murbot
Hoonigan

2015-11-23, 23:32

Oh my god does anyone else want to throw their effing phone into a wall when they try to email a photo?!?!

Same as usual, select a few photos, click email, and WAAAAAIIIIT. Then click SEND and WAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIT.

This bullshit is canceling out all the feel good stuff I've enjoyed after finally upgrading from 7 (yes, seven) a couple weeks ago.

Seriously, though. Phone. Wall. Speed this shit up please.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2015-11-24, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Oh my god does anyone else want to throw their effing phone into a wall when they try to email a photo?!?!

Same as usual, select a few photos, click email, and WAAAAAIIIIT. Then click SEND and WAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIT.

This bullshit is canceling out all the feel good stuff I've enjoyed after finally upgrading from 7 (yes, seven) a couple weeks ago.

Seriously, though. Phone. Wall. Speed this shit up please.
Just tried with five photos. The only delay was before the Share sheet showed up.

5S here.
murbot
Hoonigan

2015-11-24, 12:01

Hmm. I'm on a 5 and just did it with five photos.

After selecting them and clicking Mail, it takes 12 seconds before the images show up in the new message draft. After entering needed info and clicking Send, it's 20 seconds before the image size selector message pops up. After doing that it took 10 seconds for the email to send. (original size, 7.8MB for all pics)

What the hell.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-11-24, 12:12

I'm borrowing my nephew's (yellow...the iBanana, I call it) 5c and not experiencing this (I think it's the guts of the 5, more or less, right?). I'm on iOS 9.1 as well with it (and I never had this issue with my silver 5 that I just sold a few weeks ago).

I know you know all this, but have you done a reset or restart, just to clear out any gremlins?

A couple of times a year I do this if stuff is just acting stupid for no apparent reason and it usually smacks everything into shape.

The guy who bought my Mom's perfect-condition 5s last week was having various issues after setting it up with his SIM and personal info (screen response, apps not launching reliably, Messages behaving weird, etc.). I told him to do the reset (press home and sleep button until Apple logo appears), which he knew nothing about. He texted back about 30 minutes later and said everything was working great, like it should. Been two days and I've not heard a peep back.

I think these things just sometimes need a smack in the head, via a reset. Try that before the wall technique.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-11-24, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Hmm. I'm on a 5 and just did it with five photos.

After selecting them and clicking Mail, it takes 12 seconds before the images show up in the new message draft. After entering needed info and clicking Send, it's 20 seconds before the image size selector message pops up. After doing that it took 10 seconds for the email to send. (original size, 7.8MB for all pics)

What the hell.
this takes 1-2 seconds on my iPhone 6S. I guess it really is a matter of phone speed maybe.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-11-24, 12:35

Quote:
[...]

I think these things just sometimes need a smack in the head, via a reset. Try that before the wall technique.
Also, if all else fails, a return to factory settings and a clean reinstall from backup might help clear out iOS 9 gremlins on older devices. See above. I know that it is a hassle, but on older devices that have never been subject to a clean reinstall it is something that is occasionally worthwhile. iOS 9 in particular seems to like this. I saw a tip to that effect on an Apple help forum.

murbot
Hoonigan

2015-11-24, 13:18

I've done the resets, no dice. I also just did the same on my wife's 5c (iOS7.1.1) and it's near instantaneous with the same number of photos. Grr.

I think I'll try a fresh install and see if it helps.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-06, 14:29

Another Wi-Fi Assist tale of woe...

Granted, the little mop-haired bastard might've taken more notice of his "you've used 65% of your data" alert and looked further into it, said something to his parents, etc. But, being a teen, his strong suit typically doesn't involve Paying Attention to Shit that Actually Matters (Since It Ain't His Money Anyway)™. Kinda goes with the territory, unfortunately. We've all been there, right?

But still, I can't believe Apple's position/approach on this, months later is to a) have the feature on by default, and b) make no mention of it anywhere a user is actually likely to see/read it (the initial setup screen everyone has to go through upon buying/setting up a new iPhone, for example).

How tough would that be?

"A new feature in iOS 9 called Wi-Fi Assist is turned on. When you experience a weak wifi signal, your phone will automatically switch over to a stronger cellular signal for data. While this is a helpful, useful feature to many, you will experience an increase in your cellular data usage which may be reflected on a future bill."

Better worded than that, of course. But you get the point. How tough would such a small block of text included in the setup/reboot after an iOS update be to implement? Five minutes or coding? If that?

Just a friendly "hey, just so you don't temporarily lose bowel control upon receiving your next mobile bill, let us tell you what's going on with this new feature we've turned on by default..." notice.

But Apple seems completely okay with turning it on, not saying a word about it and letting folks deal with unexpected $2,000+ phone bills all over the place (this isn't the first story, or even among the first 10-20, of this sort...I've read 'em all).

Strikes me as a bit of a sociopathic, dickheaded way to go about it, frankly.

Just for PR/image-maintaining reasons alone you'd think Apple would want to put an ounce of effort on the front end to make sure their customers aren't taken by an ugly surprise?

Apple could continue having it on by default, and posting a little blurb on the initial set-up/configure screen. Or they could have it turned off by default and at the first instance of a weak (one bar?) wifi signal, a message automatically pops up to the user, telling them about this new feature, letting them know how it works (and mentioning the possible downside of extra cellular data usage, of course), giving them the choice to try it out or not. Either of those are fine, workable solutions.

Instead, they seem content with taking the shittiest approach combination of all.

You buy a new Jetta. When you go over 60mph, the fuel is automatically, without your knowledge, re-routed to better help with A/C and radio function (don't ask...I'm simply trying to meet the car analogy requirement ). You don't know this, except when you glance at your fuel gauge, it's dropped precariously low for no particular reason, and you're 20 miles from the nearest exit. Buried on page 378 in the manual is a section that explains all this, makes it super clear what/why this happens. Hell, it even makes some kind of sense to many users. But when you're stuck on the shoulder of the road at 10:30pm in the middle of absolute nowhere, none of that really matters, does it? VW maybe should've given you a heads up on the front end about this "feature" (which is easily disabled, had you been aware of it). Instead, you're pissed at VW, you're inconvenienced, you wonder why they'd do such a thing with real-world consequences and keep so quiet about it, etc.

"Helpful feature" or not, that isn't the point. Apple is taking a lame, annoying approach to it and creating a problem/hassle where none existed before. Period. FFS, at least consider redesigning the Wifi icon when Wifi Assist is in use, simply so customers might be aware that they're guzzling cellular data at that moment (and may opt to adjust their usage). They can't even do that? They can't spare one intern interface designer to figure out a cool way to color-code or put a "+" sign next to the wifi icon at the top of the display so folks don't stroke out upon receiving their next bill?

Come on...

PS - If Apple has tweaked their iOS 9/iPhone setup screen to address this in recent months/weeks, then disregard all the above. But I'm not aware of it, and it seems to still be happening, so I'm assuming nothing has changed...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-01-06 at 14:41.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-01-06, 14:56

I look at this as a sort of "stupid tax." Similar to the people filing lawsuits that Apple slowed down their 5Cs with software updates and the people comparing about Uber surge pricing on New Years.

This kid had a warning and chose to ignore it. That's on him. I don't think Apple should do anything for him. There are multiple warning when you're getting close to and over your data limit.

With Uber stuff, people had to agree to the surge pricing before confirming their trip, yet now they're complaint that they had to pay the surge pricing.

No matter how many barriers companies put up, stupid people will still find a way to be stupid.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-06, 15:12

Very true. The kid, upon receiving that alert, had options and things to pursue. He obviously didn't do any ("Whatever, dude..."). That part is on him, yeah. It isn't his money/worry, what does he care? When you're not footing the bill, the spark/initiative to delve deeper into the "why and how" just isn't going to be there.

But it's still a less-than approach by Apple that is so easily, quickly addressed. Just a quick, hard-to-miss heads up, that's all: Here's what's on/here's what it does/here's what may result/here's how to turn it off.

Done.

At that point, should folks continue using it and running up huge bills, that's indeed totally on them because they can no longer say "but we had no idea!!!" (which is what the current approach seems to create).

Upon reading the notice and opting to turn the feature off (because they've never needed it before and the house wifi has worked fine all these years), goodwill and warm fuzzies are maintained (or instantly restored/regained), nobody's getting shocked by crazy bills, angry customers aren't organizing class action suits, etc.

Let's face it...kids and teens, being kids and teens, probably aren't going to do the right thing and modify their usage or alert their parents over any data usage alerts...but it seems quite unfair that the parents are the ones on the hook and stuck dealing with it in the form of $2,000+ bills when it isn't their fault. If the parent(s) aren't receiving alerts (because they're not streaming music and video 18 hours a day or whatever-the-hell it is people do to blast through so much data), they may not know any of their kids are. And since they've got wifi in the house, it may never occur to them that anyone's cellular data is even being used there (especially when icons on the devices aren't changed to reflect this).

I never knew either...and I follow this shit more than the typical schmo. It happened to me back in the fall! I was on my way to a 300MB month (I typically don't go over 40MB). And I don't even know why it was happening because I've got a small place and I always show a complete set of wifi bars on my phone everywhere in my house, including the front porch. It's not like I constantly struggle with one wifi reception bar. That's never been the case here. But this feature was obviously "helping me out", behind the scenes/without my knowledge, by using my cellular data at 10x the amount I ever have... I just happened to check my AT&T account one day to look at some things, and saw where my data usage was way higher than it should've been for 10 days into my cycle (100MB vs. ~10MB).

This still falls back on Apple because they can easily do just 2-3 simple things to completely avoid (or greatly lessen) all the above. Beyond that, I'm sure a family would rather go spend $99 on an AirPort Express to help extend a stronger wifi signal to the upstairs or basement kid areas (if that's what's needed) than to deal with surprise 4-digit phone bills because everyone's zapping through their cellular data (and the kids aren't making it known).

Yeah, everyone's kinda got a role in it (sneaky teens, clueless parents, etc.). But only Apple is in the position to address/eliminate the ugly results via a simple head's-up, and pretty much handle the problem in one easy swoop. That they haven't, three-plus months on, is just odd to me. Do they like the negative PR, disappointed customers and class action hassles? Because that's been the result.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-01-06 at 15:52.