Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Wow, that person was a DICK!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wow, that person was a DICK!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
flounder

2005-01-24, 22:14

So inspired by the "Thrown out of Comp USA" thread, I thought I'd start one for people to relate their best "Wow that person's a dick" stories as either a consumer or as an employee.

I'll go first!

Mine is as an employee. It was summer and I was working at a restaurant at the time. I was working behind the bar that evening (it was only a beer and wine bar so it wasn't too tough).

It's super busy and there's a pretty significant wait list. This Husband wife combo with their daughter and a grandfather arrive at the bar. The Mom and Dad get a beer and go to wait in the lobby.

The grandfather and the kid (around 4 I think) stay at the bar. Gramps orders the kid a sprite and himself a bottle of wine to have a glass and then bring to the table. It's also pretty clear he's already had a few.
It's a white wine and he asks for a bucket of ice. Now, normally I've got a bucket handy, but I didn't at the time so I needed to go back into the kitchen to get one.

So I knock off a couple other pending drink orders and go get his bucket of ice. When I come back out he's talking to his grandkid so I don't want to interrupt so I just quietly set it down right next to him.

I'm going about my business and a couple minutes later I hear him baby talking to his grandkid and I hear him say "I'm just waiting for the man to bring me my bucket of ice."

So I very politely say "Oh, I already got that for you sir, it's right next to you." Then his head snaps up in this half-drunken glare and he snaps "Don't talk back to me!" I was kind of shocked and just sort of stood there with my mouth literally hanging half open and he again says "Don't talk back to me!"

I try to be very polite and tell him that was certainly not my intention and I was only trying to let him know that I had already gotten him his ice bucket. He continues to berate me for a couple more minutes while I continue to be as polite as I can before he finally storms off (with his ice bucket I might add).

At the end of it all a couple customers who witnessed this specifically sought out the owner to tell him I'd done nothing wrong in case the guy complained about me and someone at the bar wrote me a note on a napkin complimenting me on how I handled the situation and left me a 10 spot.

So see, it pays to turn the other cheek!

In closing, WOW, was that guy a dick!

A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts - Ani DiFranco
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-01-24, 22:22

I put a $5000 TV through the back of a guy's car window while working @ BJ's... I had no idea why he was so pissed about it. What a dick.

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
EmC

2005-01-24, 22:54

While doing DSL support I had a customer call in, he had a stuttering problem. I was very patient and I understood him just fine, but he was whispering. I turned my phone up to the max volume and then I pressed the headphones to my ear trying to hear him better. I even pulled the trick where I start whispering hoping they will start to talk louder (it works sometimes). It got to the point where I just couldn't hear him, I asked him if he could speak up because I was having trouble hearing him. He went off. I couldn't believe it. I had just spent 45 minutes politely listening to him stutter through the part where he "tu..tu..tuurned on his com..com....computer" and now because he was whispering like he's hiding from the klan, I'm the asshole? This fu%#er wanted to talk to my supervisor because apparently I was making fun of him. Thank God the entire call was recorded. What a dick!

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-01-24, 23:08

I had an SBC support dork make fun of me for being 14 once. Gave up of them and switched to another ISP. I would have talked to the supervisor, but the support guy said that he didn't have the power to do so without a support ticket.

What a dick.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-24, 23:15

That guy who plays for the Eagles that yelled into the microphone "give me some respect right now!": what a dick.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-24, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
I put a $5000 TV through the back of a guy's car window while working @ BJ's... I had no idea why he was so pissed about it. What a dick.
You mean you broke some guy's car window? Yeah, I'd think he would be pissed.

Or maybe you just explained that really poorly... what did you do?
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-01-24, 23:41

I peed all over my dads carpet and smashes his antiques for no reason. He got mad at me. What a dick!
(notice that this is a joke)
macgeek2004

2005-01-25, 00:30

I was in a computer store once, and I was going to order a game, but somehow the Employee found out that my mom didn't wan't me to get that game, so he said "Oh, I could order that for you, but it's discontinued". I didn't have time to go to a different store, so I got a different game.

What a dick!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-01-25, 02:04

THE TOP FIVE SMART-ASS ANSWERS OF THE YEAR:

Smart-Ass Answer #5

A flight attendant was stationed at the departure gate to check tickets.

As a man approached, she extended her hand for the ticket and he opened his trench coat and flashed her. Without missing a beat, she said, "Sir, I need to see your ticket, not your stub."

Smart-Ass Answer #4

A lady was picking through the frozen turkeys at the grocery store,but couldn't find one big enough for her family. She asked a butcher, "Dothese turkeys get any bigger?" The butcher replied, "No, ma'am, they're dead."

Smart-Ass Answer #3

The cop got out of his car and the kid who was stopped for speeding rolled down his window. "I've been waiting for you all day," the cop said.

The kid replied, "Yeah, well I got here as fast as I could." When the cop finally stopped laughing, he sent the kid on his way without a ticket.

Smart-Ass Answer #2

A truck driver was driving along on the freeway. A sign comes up that reads "Low bridge ahead'. Before he knows it, the bridge is right ahead of him and he gets stuck under the bridge. Cars are backed up for miles. Finally, a police car comes up. The cop gets out of his car and walks around to the truck driver, puts his hands on his hips and says, "Got stuck, huh?"

The truck driver says, "No, I was delivering this bridge and ran out of gas."

Smart-Ass Answer #1 -- The SMART-ASS ANSWER OF THE YEAR "THE TEACHER"

A college teacher reminds her class of tomorrow's final exam. "Now, Class, I won't tolerate any excuses for you not being here tomorrow. I might consider a nuclear attack or a serious personal injury or illness, or a death in your immediate family but that's it, no other excuses whatsoever!"

A smart-ass guy in the back of the room raised his hand and asks, "What would you say if tomorrow I said I was suffering from complete and utter sexual exhaustion?" The entire class does its best to stifle their laughter and snickering.

When silence is restored, the teacher smiles sympathetically at the student, shakes her head, and sweetly says, "Well, I guess you'd have to write the exam with your other hand.
czarina_x

Send a message via AIM to czarina_x Send a message via MSN to czarina_x  
2005-01-25, 08:50

Bill Gates.

What a dick.

[sorry, had to be done :P]
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-25, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarina_x
Bill Gates.

What a dick.

You are, no doubt, full of hate.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-25, 09:35

Except that Balmer is even more of a dick...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-25, 09:39

Aren't we all a bit of a dick at times? In fact, it was Plato who sai...

[ducks]
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-25, 14:59

<---
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2005-01-25, 19:51

I worked at a small Christian bookstore through highschool and during the holidays while I was in college. Every Christmas, we put up signs EVERYWHERE saying that we will not accept returns of Christmas products after Christmas and even if they have a receipt, if it's more than a week after Christmas, we will only return it at the price we are currently selling it at (we sell lots of stupid knick-knacks and other gifts in addition to books and music). The main reason for not accepting returns is that we don't have anywhere to store seasonal products and so we have to slash prices right after Christmas to get things out of the store.

Anyway, one January I was working and this woman with her husband and 10 year old daughter come in. They bring in this ugly ceramic Christmas angel and want to return it. It is now 2 weeks after Christmas and so anything we still have left over is 75% off. They have a receipt, which has our Christmas product code on it, so the clerk knows that it's a Christmas product. She calmly explains to the woman that we can't return it and apologizes.

The woman lost it. She starts screaming about how this was all bullsh*t and she can't believe we're treating her like this. After 5 minutes of yelling, she and her family storms out. 10 minutes later, they're back. The woman says, "My daughter made a very good point. How do you know it's a Christmas item? It doesn't have red or green on it."

Idiot. Then later that day I had someone try to return a nativity set because it was "too ugly."
skorsak

2005-01-31, 00:53

here is my story.

everyone is a dick to me when i go and shop for expensive electronics.

WHY?

because I am not an adult. sales people dont approach me, i have to approach them and ask for help. it really makes me angry. do they think i have no money?
well I do.
I Thrash Therefore I Am

Send a message via AIM to I Thrash Therefore I Am  
2005-01-31, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorsak
here is my story.

everyone is a dick to me when i go and shop for expensive electronics.

WHY?

because I am not an adult. sales people dont approach me, i have to approach them and ask for help. it really makes me angry. do they think i have no money?
well I do.
I hate that shi...uh..stuff. (dont wanna get banned on my umpteenth post) I also hate when I don't get service because I don't wear expensive clothes. And I hate when I'm working (I sell vintage stuff) and people KEEP TRYING TO GET EVERYTHING CHEAPER AND TAKING UP MY TIME WHEN THEYRE NOT PLANNING ON BUYING ANYTHING IN THE FIRST PLACE!

I live in LA. EVERYONE IS A DICK.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-01-31, 04:22

Hey, I'm not that old either, but I don't like it when sales guys come up to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm nice and all, but if I have a question I'd prefer to find someone and ask. I tend to do some research before I go into a store (think stereotypical-guy shopping. If it weren't for lines, I'd be in&out in less than 5 minutes.) Though I'm no expert, I tend to know more than many people working in the store.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2005-01-31, 04:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Thrash Therefore I Am
And I hate when I'm working (I sell vintage stuff) and people KEEP TRYING TO GET EVERYTHING CHEAPER AND TAKING UP MY TIME WHEN THEYRE NOT PLANNING ON BUYING ANYTHING IN THE FIRST PLACE!
Ho-de hum *whistles softly*
That is me to-the-letter! Sorry, not personal.

I always shop the same way:
1) My interest in a product leads to...
2) Brainstorm of possible uses or general applications
3) Gather information on all similar products
4) Refine search for my specific needs/application/enviroment
5) Make list of top 3
6) Find stores, distributers, or friends of influence
7) Get several prices for each of the items on my top 3 list.
8) Personally talk to knowledgeable sales people.
9) Find/negotiate lowest price
10) Purchase!

I know. Lots of work and Mr. Thrash probably has a few choice words for me, but it really saves a lot of money in the long run.

In fact, I am at step #7 right now in my quest to buy a new projector for my home theater system.

It is a shame there is no bargaining system in the US like around the world to keep prices low. I happen to know what "at cost" means and while I never expect a store to sell at cost, a 200%-400% markup is, well, mean. Sometimes, if you ask, you can negotiate for a lower price where they can still make plenty of money.

Last edited by Ebby : 2005-01-31 at 04:53.
I Thrash Therefore I Am

Send a message via AIM to I Thrash Therefore I Am  
2005-02-02, 03:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
Ho-de hum *whistles softly*
That is me to-the-letter! Sorry, not personal.

I always shop the same way:
1) My interest in a product leads to...
2) Brainstorm of possible uses or general applications
3) Gather information on all similar products
4) Refine search for my specific needs/application/enviroment
5) Make list of top 3
6) Find stores, distributers, or friends of influence
7) Get several prices for each of the items on my top 3 list.
8) Personally talk to knowledgeable sales people.
9) Find/negotiate lowest price
10) Purchase!

I know. Lots of work and Mr. Thrash probably has a few choice words for me, but it really saves a lot of money in the long run.

In fact, I am at step #7 right now in my quest to buy a new projector for my home theater system.

It is a shame there is no bargaining system in the US like around the world to keep prices low. I happen to know what "at cost" means and while I never expect a store to sell at cost, a 200%-400% markup is, well, mean. Sometimes, if you ask, you can negotiate for a lower price where they can still make plenty of money.
Thats completely understandable considering it is a totally different market. Some of the things I sell are either rare, collectible, or one of a kind. I'm not too pissed with it generally, only when I'm completely swamped and people do this, because thats when the people steal stuff (and this is a family business). There is no "cost" on these things because they're old. I mean, there is what I pay for it, but thats all relative to the situation, clientelle (sp?), condition of the product, and how the business is doing. I'm completely froogle whenever I buy something new, especially something expensive. You, tho, are in the market for it. I'm talking about people that just want to "look" when I'm helping 20 other people who actually are willing to buy something. Or people who put things on hold, tell me they'll come back with the money in 10 minutes, and never do.

By the way, its Ms. Thrash

Quote:
Hey, I'm not that old either, but I don't like it when sales guys come up to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm nice and all, but if I have a question I'd prefer to find someone and ask. I tend to do some research before I go into a store (think stereotypical-guy shopping. If it weren't for lines, I'd be in&out in less than 5 minutes.) Though I'm no expert, I tend to know more than many people working in the store.
True. Very true. I just hate when they don't take me seriously, or try to help someone else while theyre helping me because they think I won't give them the sale. Impulse buying scares me. I'm the outcast in a family of packrats.

On another rant (sorry for the long post), why the hell was that employee at the "care center" where my grandma is EFFIN SICK AND STILL WORKING?!?! AND WHY THE HELL WERE THE EMPLOYEES SMOKING IN THERE, WHEN THATS WHAT GAVE MY GRANDMA CANCER IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

MAN, THAT PLACE WAS FULL OF DICKS!

Last edited by I Thrash Therefore I Am : 2005-02-02 at 03:33.
luxmac

2005-02-02, 03:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarina_x
Bill Gates.

What a dick.

truely right, i blame him for doing win98 after having done win95 which at its time was already the product of the year that sucked most. well good old bill always ready with some surprises bings out one product after the other that surpasses all problems by creating more.
i am so glad to have a mac now

sorry had to be done too

IMAC G5 - since 2004 december never forget that day - 1,8 ghz 20inch, 1gb memory, 160 gb harddrive
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-02-02, 03:59

Quote:
Shocked nobody has noticed this, but the icon that indicates whether you're online (under your name in a post) changes based on your gender. Check it out sometime, I'm particularly proud of that feature

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2005-02-02, 16:01

Quote:
Oops. Sorry. There are so few women on these boards I thought I knew them all.

LoCash: Hey, you're right! There is a very subtle difference. Coolness.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-02, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
Shocked nobody has noticed this, but the icon that indicates whether you're online (under your name in a post) changes based on your gender. Check it out sometime, I'm particularly proud of that feature
Well. Mr. LoCash -- quickly checks to see that you are indeed male -- to be honest I hadn't noticed. It is a little too subtle...

Edit: And just to be sure I knew you were male...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-02, 16:31

I discovered that a little while ago myself, but I noticed that some of our female members haven't specified, and I guess it defaults to male if you don't choose. So both Fangorn and crazychester show up as male, even though they're not.
SledgeHammer

2005-02-02, 16:32

Well I'll be damned. I had barely even noticed that icon. That's cool.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-02-02, 16:50

my aunt just told me a pretty amusing little dickish story. her computer was fubar'd. completely fucked over. beyond all repair. i hadn actually inspected it personally, but she relayed the situation to me over the phone before, adn i wasn't able to help her. and she's pretty clueless about how to fix it. so she calls support, and waits a half hour on hold. she explains her problem, the guy makes a weak attempt to help her out, then tells her shes in the wrong area. nervous about the wait, my aunt asks how long she'll be on hold for the next dept. guy told her a few minutes at most. so an hour later, she gets through to the next dept. again, she goes through all her problems and what-have-you, and she's understandably a little upset. she's a very sweet little lady though, and i dont think she's capable of raising her voice or being mean to somebody. the asshole on the phone had enough of her problems though, and told her that she had to go to another number (this time the guy couldn't patch her through for whatever reason). she calls the 900 number he gives her. it was phone-sex.

what a dick.

luckily for her, windows combined with her various anti-virus & anti-evilware programs combined together to automatically fix her problem without user intervention.

interesting feature, locash. but i'm a dood with long hair, what about me?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-02-02, 17:19

Cool... hairdo avatars.

Is there a 'fro version for members who are 'urban' or a dread version for rasta members in addition to the Princess Leia tresses for our distaff members?

How about a little Mr. T for the JibbaJabba speakin foo's.
¡Damned!

2005-02-02, 18:12

That is sweet.

Any chance of devil-horns?
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-02, 18:14

Those look like buttplugs. The female one is ribbed.

Youch.