"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)
Page 8 of 13 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-16, 13:36

Cannot do a comparison (first iPad), but I'm going to be doing some unboxing photos... just because its fun. I'm starting to think it wont come until after a go to work, so I most likely wont get to play with it till after 11pm tonight.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-16, 13:55

Quote:
Mar 16, 2012 2:09 PM
Delivery exception
DURHAM, NC
Future delivery requested
Are you fucking kidding me? Estimated delivery, March 19th by 3 PM.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2012-03-16, 14:00

The screen is nice. The new thickness is not noticeable, but the weight is.

Overall, I like it. It is mostly a device to read books and for that it is quite good.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-03-16, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Are you fucking kidding me? Estimated delivery, March 19th by 3 PM.
Will they not let you have them hold it for pickup?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-16, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Will they not let you have them hold it for pickup?
They will. I need to call them later. I'm hoping it'll still get here today but if it's not here by 5, I'll have them hold it for me at the depot.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-16, 14:56

Picked up my preordered model from the Berkeley Apple Store this morning. The screen is, as everyone says, awesome. It's also far, far more fast and responsive than my original iPad.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-16, 15:04

How does that in-store order/holding work? You call the store itself and just get on the list? Do you pay upfront?

As far as I know, my Dad and stepmom are still supposed to get theirs delivered Monday the 26th (quite a wait). They ordered about three days after the announcement, so they missed that initial "have it by the 16th" window.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-16, 15:16

There was a small window on release day where they allowed you to preorder for store pickup. If you ordered too early or too late, shipping was the only option. I basically placed a normal online order, so I paid up front, the only difference was I had it "shipped to store." I figured I'd get it a bit earlier that way and wouldn't have to deal with FedEx (sorry tori!).

Apple is back to not offering preordering for pickup--right now, your only choices are to show up at a store and hope for the best, or place an online order and wait 2-3 weeks. They might offer a reservation system like they have in the past.

This morning there were two lines. The preorder line had 3 or 4 people total (I showed up at 7:45 and was fourth in the preorder line... I felt bad for the first guy in the preorder line, who said he had arrived two hours earlier). The non-preorder line had maybe 50 or 100 (I didn't try and count). It was raining, so that probably affected turnout.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-16, 15:55

I was done for the day so I thought I'd swing by the store just to see. I'm now th proud owner of 2 iPads. The other one was just delivered to my office. I'm at home. I'll just return the extra one on Monday.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-16, 16:01

Holy crap. This display is brilliant. I never liked to read this site in portrait because the text was fuzzy. Now it's crystal clear.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-16, 16:32

Cool.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-16, 17:11

I'm a pixel peeper, but even when I hold up the new iPad within inches of my eyes, I can just barely see pixelation, let alone at a normal reading position. Job well done, done well Jobs.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-16, 17:45

Well, found my first thing to complain about. Something is off with my PDF's in GoodReader. It's highly pixelated now, which must have something to do with up converting to the new resolution.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2012-03-16, 18:05

Just got home from a curling day of the boss yelling at me all day long how I suck. . . setting mine up from the backup copy from iPad 2. I can see the screen is already amazingly clearer!

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-16, 18:29

Mine arrived a couple hours ago...

Trying to figure out how to remove my licensed apps, content, account from the old iPad but leave it all on iTunes. I swear to God they make manually syncing between iTunes and iPad damn near impossible. The timing and phrasing of their warning dialogs are really screwy too.

There should just be a "sync manually at your own risk" button so that we can drag and drop in either direction, delete stuff with a click by selecting it in either place, etc.

...into the light of a dark black night.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-16, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Mine arrived a couple hours ago...

Trying to figure out how to remove my licensed apps, content, account from the old iPad but leave it all on iTunes. I swear to God they make manually syncing between iTunes and iPad damn near impossible. The timing and phrasing of their warning dialogs are really screwy too.

There should just be a "sync manually at your own risk" button so that we can drag and drop in either direction, delete stuff with a click by selecting it in either place, etc.
Why don't you just reset your iPad?
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-16, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Well, found my first thing to complain about. Something is off with my PDF's in GoodReader. It's highly pixelated now, which must have something to do with up converting to the new resolution.
Yeah, Goodreader uses a custom PDF renderer. Anything that uses the built-in iOS PDF engine scales properly, but Goodreader still displays PDFs at 1024x768. I'm sure an update is on the way... Goodreader is actively developed.

In the meantime, you can try iBooks and FileApp for casual reading. They work properly, but aren't as feature rich as Goodreader.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-03-16, 20:45

Delivered, now I just have to wait 4 hours till I get off work.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-16, 22:01

iPhoto is amazing. Seriously.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-16, 22:08

It's so nice to be able to have multiple tabs open (4 right now including ESPN) and not have the window reload when switching back. Oh, and I ran iPhoto without the windows reloading. That's cool.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-03-17, 02:44

Ok, the screen on the iPad rocks! Just finished syncing and setup apps, loving it so far! It's going to take a while to get used to the spacing of keys on the larger digital keyboard!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-17, 07:53

Any full AN reviews to come?
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2012-03-17, 11:27

I need this to be sold out all over the place. I looked and their are several Best Buy's near me that still claim stock. That doesn't help my wallet at all.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-17, 11:55

They've been building these things since January (with come components even older). Their outlook was probably, "Look, we know we're going to sell at least 30 million of these things this year, worst case scenario. Let's stockpile half that amount before we even announce it."

I think it's possible that shortages won't really appear until a few months from now, if at all.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-17, 11:59

Anyone got any good cases yet? I may be looking for a little scratch protection, but nothing heavy duty I don't typically drop my stuff. Mostly want something that is a little bit more comfortable to hold and doesn't add significant weight...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-03-17, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Any full AN reviews to come?
Looking for any specific details? Now, after a few hours of use, I'd say the best features (as someone with their first iPad), and other thoughts are:

1) apps, they are so much nicer on the iPad than the iPhone. Mostly as a result of the larger screen which gives more usable space. Things like Mail, twitter, Safari, and just about any other iPad optimized apps are simply better in so many ways.

2) The browsing experice is like using my iMac with the wireless trackpad. In other words, great.

3) The screen, crisp, vivid colours, and simply a joy to look at. I watched a TV show on Netflix, plus some stuff on youtube last night and the video quality was amazing. In some ways it is nicer than watching on my 27" iMacs screen (hard to believe, but true). Even apps not designed for the new screen look okay, as long as you keep them at iPhone size. Once you upscale they look pixely, but they aren't bad overall, unless you hold the screen really close to your face.

4) On screen typing is not the most pleasant experience, so I'm looking forward to using the dictation feature more in the future. Note this comment is based on use when holding the iPad, rather than use with a smart cover or other kind of case to hold it.

5) The weight of the device, it starts to feel a little heavy after a while and starts to cause arm fatigue. Without a case or something else to prop it up I would find it hard to recommend extended use (more than an hour).
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-03-17, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Anyone got any good cases yet? I may be looking for a little scratch protection, but nothing heavy duty I don't typically drop my stuff. Mostly want something that is a little bit more comfortable to hold and doesn't add significant weight...
I've suggested it a ton, but I'm a huge advocate of the dodocase. I prefer the iPad in this case as opposed to by itself. That being said, to some people, it's not their cup of tea.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-03-17, 13:38

Has anyone upgraded from the iPad 2? I've been debating it because Best Buy has a few in stock and I have $100 in gift cards. Just wondering if it's worth it or if I should just wait til the 2013 update.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-17, 14:07

The word from many (Ihnatko, Snell, etc.) seems to be if you have no iPad or the first-generation, it's a no-brainer.

If you have a 2, it gets a little more complicated. The performance, aside from graphics, has remained the same. You're basically paying for the display and camera.

If you can get a good price for your 2, augment it with your gift cards and as little of your own money as possible, sure.

I wouldn't pay full price, etc.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-03-17, 14:32

I have 64gb+3G Verizon so I think I could get at least $600 with the case so there wouldn't be much cost out of my pocket.