New Speed Holes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Speed Holes
Page 1 of 9 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-23, 00:26

Since I'm a recovering PC user would that be for the birth of OS 10?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-23, 00:49

Yup. The Aqua-less Server 1.0 version shipped in 1999 and the Public Beta shipped in 2000, but the first "real" Mac OS X, Version 10.0, shipped on March 24, 2001. It'll be nine years old tomorrow. (They grow up so fast!)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-23, 01:45

So I guess it is about time for OSXI then.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-23, 01:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
So I guess it is about time for OSXI then.
I think OS X still has a few years left in it. To be honest part of me feels like the Mac will have a very different place in the world by OS XI.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-23, 02:16

I'm guessing we'll see two more OSX versions before another big leap. It took Apple 15 years to leap from the classic style OS to OSX, so they don't seem to be in a big rush with stuff like that.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-03-23, 06:33

Awww... baby cheetah = cuteness.
And a ninth birthday... with 10 candles.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-03-23, 08:22

KITTY awwwwwwww.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-03-23, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousuburb View Post
Awww... baby cheetah = cuteness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
KITTY awwwwwwww.
For crying out loud stop being so soppy.............................Aww cute little Kitty........
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-23, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I think OS X still has a few years left in it. To be honest part of me feels like the Mac will have a very different place in the world by OS XI.
Yes, OS XI is where the existing file structure/navigation is done away with completely (how's that for "fixing the Finder", you geeky puddingheads? Happy now? ) and the iPhone OS "matures" into a full-tilt desktop OS that anyone can use and navigate. We'll look back fondly on OS X the same way we do Newtons, Bondi blue iMacs and Danika Cleary.

The old-schoolers and hardcore Macheads will absolutely lose their minds.

There will be riots and hysteria, it should go without saying.

And yes...the kittycat gets major "cute" points. Meow!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-23, 13:48

Oh gosh scates, I sure hope they don't bring iPhone OS to the desktop, I'd switch to Windows... seriously.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-23, 14:08

I'm (halfway) kidding. It would have to be a lot more robust (of course). But I can imagine them taking some cues from these iDevices and stripping down/streamlining things more and more. But hopefully in a way that allows the customer/user to choose, based on their background and how they came to the Mac.

It wouldn't necessarily be the "iPhone OS", but it may very well borrow from it, in terms of navigation, file structure, etc.?

Or not.

Who the hell knows...

But it would take a lot more (and worse) than that to push me to Windows, that's for sure. So I'm not really worried about what's down the road.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-03-23, 14:13

I can see an PC OS that abstracts the file system away from the regular user, very easily. Maybe the ability to navigate it would still exist for "power users" - in much the same way as Terminal still exists in OS X, then in XI then you could launch the Finder, but most users wouldn't need to.

Think somewhere between OS X for Mac and the iPads OS. But on a desktop/laptop.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-23, 14:28

Yeah, that's what I had in mind.

In fact (I edited it), I wrote about how future Mac OS users might look at the current (OS X, Snow Leopard, etc.) file structure as something "serious and high-end, for certain types of user"...the way many of us currently using OS X think of those who use Terminal.

The new "default" might be that ultra-streamlined, iPad-inspired structure. With an option to turn that off and reveal the more "computer-y" version most of us know.

I just think about all those people out there who are (and will be) coming to the Mac via the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad in the years to come...would a simplified "shell", acting as sort of iTraining Wheels, be something that would slide them into the platform easier?

Or should they just man-up and do what we all did? What's with all these breaks and hand-holding?

Why, back in my day...

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I'm encouraged that both my parents, while not being particularly tech savvy, geeky or "into computers", have both taken so well to the Mac, and OS X. I never hear from either of them with "problems" or serious questions. I think that says a lot, and so maybe, while not perfect, the Mac OS seems a bit more approachable and "learnable" for the newbie/switcher?

I know the error/warning messages alone between Windows and the Mac OS are light years apart in tone, wording and levels of "oh shit...what does this mean, and what do I do?!?"

I've seen error/warning messages on XP and Vista that make you think you're about to die and fall into a crack in the earth. Indecipherable gibberish for the most part (you'd have to be an engineer at Microsoft to have any idea what it meant), and the parts that aren't this way just sound so damn bleak and dismal, with such a heavy "You're screwed." vibe.

On the Mac, it's more like "hey, buddy...you dropped your pencil. Need help picking it up? Okay, cool...". Very few things absolutely freak you out on a Mac, or are made to look worse than the average schmo can deal with. Something goes wrong on a PC, and most mortals immediately reach for the Geek Squad number...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-03, 14:17

No iPad speed holes?
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2010-04-03, 15:40

Is there anywhere we can see a collection of screenshots of the speedholes and themes? Like a walk through history or a walk through Memory Lane? That would be cool - I remember some of the special themes I really loved, and of course there have been others I've missed but wouldn't mind seeing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-04-04, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFerret View Post
Is there anywhere we can see a collection of screenshots of the speedholes and themes? Like a walk through history or a walk through Memory Lane? That would be cool - I remember some of the special themes I really loved, and of course there have been others I've missed but wouldn't mind seeing.
Certainly! Here's the full set of speedholes images currently on the server, in alphabetic order:

And of course at least one holiday had no speed holes but instead had...

Spoiler (click to toggle):

I don't have screenshots of all the themes... I ought to fish out the various CSS files and catalog them some day, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-05-15, 01:01

OK, I don't get the speed holes. I'm guessing it's other things that share a birthday with our lovely forum? Does the middle one represent lasers? They just turned 50.

I get it! It's things representing "6." The rightmost is John Quincy Adams, 6th President.

So is the middle...carbon? Six electrons, six protons, six neutrons? And on the right...Number Six, from BSG?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-05-15, 01:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
OK, I don't get the speed holes. I'm guessing it's other things that share a birthday with our lovely forum? Does the middle one represent lasers? They just turned 50.

I get it! It's things representing "6." The rightmost is John Quincy Adams, 6th President.

So is the middle...carbon? Six electrons, six protons, six neutrons? And on the right...Number Six, from BSG?
We have a winner. Well, that didn't take too long.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-05-15, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
We have a winner. Well, that didn't take too long.
Carbon through me for a loop, until I counted the electrons. It looked like there were more.

I would totally help make a new set of "six" images, but I've just spent an embarrasingly long time searching for an image of the Magitek armor "icon" from the Final Fantasy VI logo without the text. I found no such thing, not even a poorly de-lettered version on DeviantArt. I only just now gave up.

(I really wish Square would provide those images, because I'd totally make an awesome clock out of them. "What time is it?" "Uh...gold...crystal?")

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-05-15, 02:06

ahem

link

zsummers
Avast!

2010-05-15, 02:33

ZOMG: three speed holes representing sixes.

SINZ OF Z ACAPULCO-LIPZ. MARK UV BEASTIES.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-05-15, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
ahem

link

Desktop Wallpaper Get!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-05-15, 02:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
ZOMG: three speed holes representing sixes.

SINZ OF Z ACAPULCO-LIPZ. MARK UV BEASTIES.
Don't be silly. The world doesn't end until May 27, 2012. And when it does, I'll get that fucking domain name.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-05-15, 18:37

I'm afraid we can't condone anything to do with 666. sorry. ...............................
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-05-15, 19:02

So does this mean propane is pure evil?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-05-15, 20:14

I'm confused about the reason we have new speedholes, and I'm not saying that critically, I'm just confused.

Did Brad stay up late watching Red Dragon or something...?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-05-15, 20:50

It's AN's 6th Birthday!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-05-15, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
It's AN's 6th Birthday!
D'oh!

Having been here since 2004 I should have figured that out... so my bad!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-05-16, 16:31

Cheersh! 6!

/raisesglass
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-15, 22:00

Would anyone care to explain the occasion? /notatrekkie