AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Nether Hub 2.0

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Nether Hub 2.0
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-28, 12:54

I think "swamped" is the understatement of the year.

Let me know if there are any other Hub 2.0/switch-to-1.8 preparations I can help with.
¡Damned!

2014-10-11, 10:02

Here's an idea: What if we give players this weekend and half of next week to muck about in the Nether, then wipe it, say, Wed night/Thu morning?

I see a couple of advantages to this.

1) MC is dead right now during the weekdays, and those players that are on we can warn about the short shutdown. Once we go to 1.8(.1) there will likely be an influx of players that have been waiting, and redoing the Nether at the same time is probably not ideal.

2) There's nothing new in 1.8 that would require wiping the Nether at the same time as trimming the Overworld, so why not utilize some of our safety commands like /back while we still have them?

I figure we can knock out the main paths to everyone's homes before the weekend, so nobody will be left with a dead portal for too long. Say Thu/Fri are "Nether shutdown" days while we rebuild the main infrastructure, then the outlying paths to the directional portals can be done at our leisure.

Anyone have concerns about that plan? Elysium & Spec - I promise I won't leave you hanging out there.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-11, 10:36

I love the plan personally. The ability to use commands like /back would be invaluable for anyone working in there. I'll do the wipe if Brad hasn't surfaced to do it by the day we set for it. Then when we are ready to go to 1.8 we can have safe Nether walks to us.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-11, 12:36

I like the plan, too, but I woild request a bit more time. I am on vacation right now and won't be on until at least the evening of the 18th at the earliest.

I'd really like to be there for the "grand Opening".

Could we shoot for the 20th and have a solid week to pound on it?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2014-10-11, 15:01

That'll work for me. I'll be out of town the week after, so we'll need to wrap it up by the following Friday. np
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-17, 22:36

FYI: I am home from vacation.

Have we decided on a time/date for the Nether wipe?
¡Damned!

2014-10-17, 22:57

Not yet.

I've done some grunt-work in the meantime though. 1.8.x looks to have solved the problem of exiting a portal in a different direction, so we'll need to put that into our maths.*

Otherwise, not too much. Oh! One thing. We should build the base paths at 74. It's a nicer height, the Spawn Box will have better views, and the paths will be sexier. Many ghasts died for this information. I hope we go with it.

* Here's that, btw:

E - (248.5, 60.0, 220.5) - Spawn (space needle)
E - (-28.5, 49.0, -272.5) - bobsky's Atoll
W - (-52.5, 73.0, 353.5) - BryCo Petroleum
N - (-234.5, 63.0, 589.5) - Rink of Pain
N/W - (-21.5, 65.0, 682.5) (-19.5, 65.0, 680.5) Desert Pyramid
N/S - (-1943.5, 150.0, 62.5) - SpecMode's Mountain Hideaway
S - (-2496.5, 69.0, 561.5) - Elysium's Kilimanjaro
N - (240.5, 21.0, -76.5) - Captn' Drew's Skellie Grinder
N - (1.5, 156.0, -800.5) - Skyranch
W - (21.5, 12.0, 137.5) - Skellie/Spider XP Grinder
S - (92.5, 52.0, 152.5) - Grey's Abode
N - (347.5, 86.0, 77.5) - Spec's
W - (442.5, 59.0, 16.5) - Eiffel Tower
S - (449.5, 64.0, 117.5) - iJak & Gleek's Place
E - (336.5, 51.0, 802.5) - Elysium's Tower
W - (408.5, 104.0, 974.5) - Pirate Mountain
S - (135.5, 111.0, 1125.5) - Turtle Heights
S - (513.5, 120.0, -394.5) - Mob Trap
S - (716.5, 40.0, -253.5) - Triskaidekatopia
N - (516.5, 98.0, 150.5) - Pauly - Dome
W - (776.5, 64.0, 296.5) - Grendagle's Treehouse
W/E - (789.5, 57.0, 79.5) - Bradtropolis
S - (635.5, 42.0, 807.5) - Lynn's Ocean Floor Bubble Network
S - (780.5, 55.0, 654.5) - Whammer's Palace
W/E - (996.5, 65.0, 796.5) - Castle Whammerstein

NSEW is how you exit the portal in the overworld (I've tested! ), so yeah. Nether.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-10-17 at 23:44.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-17, 23:19

Let me know when you're ready and I can make the wipe of Nether. Of course I'll keep a backup handy just to be on the safe side.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2014-10-18, 11:07

Honestly, you could do it anytime you want. I don't foresee a massive influx of people this weekend… everyone's waiting for 1.8 it seems. Because bunnies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
We should build the base paths at 74.
Coincidentally, the 3 Nether Fortresses that ring spawn have the arms at 74. It's a sign.

Also, Ken, you and I (and 7) should make a pact to stay away from fortress loot after the wipe. We each have enough horse armor for our needs, I'd guess. Let others have a chance at discovering chests and experiencing the disappointment of them being filled with useless fucking zippos.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-18, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
We should build the base paths at 74. It's a nicer height, the Spawn Box will have better views, and the paths will be sexier. Many ghasts died for this information. I hope we go with it.
Does that height apply to the current Nether, or the new Nether? Are they going to be the same? If the same, I would suggest a new seed (can that be done?). But, yes. The better the view the … better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Let me know when you're ready and I can make the wipe of Nether. Of course I'll keep a backup handy just to be on the safe side.
I think we should shoot for newness Sunday evening—as late as possible—so Grey and I can get cracking on Monday.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2014-10-18, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Does that height apply to the current Nether, or the new Nether? Are they going to be the same?
Same Nether. I believe the Nether is tied to the world seed, so it'll just get reset, basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I think we should shoot for newness Sunday evening—as late as possible—so Grey and I can get cracking on Monday.
Pheh. I say do it now. Either you or I or T will be on, so we can just say to anyone that logs in "Hey, don't use your portal for a bit". Honestly, the 'center portals' will only take a few hours* to do, so it's unlikely anyone will find their ass naked in the Nether.

* Or 15 minutes.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2014-10-18, 13:53

So, let's shoot for a time that's good for everyone. 3:00EDT? That's good for me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-18, 14:09

Done.

Code:
728K ./world_nether <= New world 766M ./world_nether_20141018 <= Old one archived
I have not entered nether yet either.

I really hope no one was in there. I was tempted to go in, but knew it wouldn't be a grand idea for me at the moment. PM me if you need me for anything. I've got major stuff going on in my home front with new stuff going on and all.

¡Damned!

2014-10-18, 14:18

Holy fuck. I'm entirely unprepared.

Thanks T! This will be fantastic.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-18, 18:44

OK. I'll get on tonight around 7 MST. See you then?

As for that whole Fortress thing … Fine . I'll talk to the kid and we'll abstain from raiding. For a while.

¡Damned!

2014-10-18, 18:50

It's a date.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-18, 20:12

Waiting on you!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-18, 22:57

I blew it!

I had all my maths with the floor at 74, but the center of the globe also at 74 rather than centered on the center of the pathway openings (76). Thus, OCD!!

Ugh!

I can only think of two options: Tear the whole thing apart, which will take forever; or lower the portal floor to 72 rather than 74. Option two will still be a lot of work, but a lot easier than starting over.

Sucketh!

I didin't figure out the error until I was done.

Quote:
Edit: Or perhaps Turtle could just re-wipe.

As for wiping, this must be a new Nether seed. Nothing in there looks even remotely familiar.

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-10-18 at 23:12.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-18, 23:09

Should I just wipe Nether again?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-19, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Should I just wipe Nether again?
Yeah. I think that will be the easiest way.
¡Damned!

2014-10-19, 07:26

Sorry, got tied up last night. Sounds like it was for the best though.

Just checked and Wipe v2 hasn't happened yet, so imma make some breakfast and poke back in in an hour or so.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2014-10-19, 09:53

So was 7 with you when you fucked up the sphere? I can only imagine the Dad jabs. Just wish I could've witnessed them firsthand.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-19, 10:32

The wipe is done. I moved the portal up to 72. I know you guys will have to remove it and all, but at least you'll start on the right level.

¡Damned!

2014-10-19, 11:20

Thanks again, T. I won't be able to make it on until a bit later, but I went in for a sec and put the central portals up.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-19, 11:44

You're welcome! Have fun building in there. I'll stop in when I can.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-19, 14:26

No dad jabs last night. Kid had company when I realized my mistake. Only thing she said was "Good job, genius!"

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-19, 23:19

Mo betta!

The outlying paths are marked all the way around. The single-wide netherack paths are centerline markers.

Sticking with the 200-block radius, the results are as follows:

Nether Globe: 31, 27 (dead center)

North: 31, -173
South: 31, 227
East: 231, 27
West: -169, 27

And, yes, this is the exact same Nether seed we had the last time. I thought it was different until I got out to the East and found the same Nether Fortress (Rankass Fortress) that was there the last time. It's amazing how much different the Nether looks a few blocks higher.

With the paths marked, we can start laying the paths to player portals while simultaneously filling out the temp corridors. Once everything is safe, we can then build the pretty bits at leisure.

¡Damned!

2014-10-22, 14:11

Forgot to mention it this morning, but all the inner portals are operational now. The directional portals at the outer edges are unlit, and will probably stay until 1.8 (if someone really needs to get to the outer edges feel free to light - they will still connect to the existing portals).

The Mob Trap and 13topia portals are the only ones still out in the open (uncovered), so be careful if you decide to head out that way.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-23, 09:53

I've been working out that way and covered two portals last night, so I'm assuming it was those. If that's the case, all the portals can be gotten to under some kind of cover, although there are still vast stretches of the hub not yet protected.

Work is coming along very nicely, especially thanks to Grey's incredible efficiency. Dude is Builder Extraordinaire!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-26, 22:42

So, this thing is done. Thanks to Grey for his super-industrious, labor-intensive, master-crafter-builderations!

Took the two of us (with help here and there from Jess) 5-ish days.

The new system is a bit confusing right now, but that will get straightened out with good signage.

Only three folks have voted on Nether Hub 2.0 mining business, but the trend seems to support a ban within the hub's main ring. Therefore, I have limited Nether access to the outer portals. Those portals mirror the design of spawn, which is a 5x5x5 cube with a ladder down in the center. Each of the 8 outer portals have a ladder descending anywhere from 3 blocks to as many as 30 down to open nether (a few of these lead to short tunnels). The ladders are protected by obsidian towers. If you need quartz or glowstone, please go out to those access points and hunt out away from the hub. This will have the added benefit of keeping ghast-blast-induced damage to the hub limited to the outer ring and away from the bagillion portals scattered about the inside.

Below Nether Spawn, there is a ladder leading down to the "Basement" where you will find a small netherwort farm. There are also some chests down there. The chests currently contain leftover building materials from the project and are now designated as repair materials. Should you need to repair a section of the hub, the materials in those boxes are free to use. The other chests will eventually fill up with arrows, food and other essentials for Nether hunting.

Happy nethering!