User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 115 of 222 First Previous 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-15, 17:33

Man treated for Google Glass addiction.

Well, that didn't take long.

Quote:
A man who checked in to the Navy's Substance Abuse and Recovery Program for alcoholism treatment was also treated for a Google Glass addiction, according to a new study.

San Diego doctors say the 31-year-old man "exhibited significant frustration and irritability related to not being able to use his Google Glass." He has a history of substance abuse, depressive disorder, anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder, they say.
Surely those things are all bigger issues, or the true root of whatever problems he's having in life.

Quote:
The man was using his Google Glass for up to 18 hours a day...
Okay, maybe not.

Quote:
...in the two months leading up to his admission in September 2013, according to the study. He wore it to work and reported feeling more confident in social situations while wearing it.
I find that really hard to believe.

Quote:
He removed it only to sleep and bathe, according to the study authors.
I think the "study authors" are a bit gullible and quick-to-believe what they hear. I'd check again.

Quote:
While in the treatment program, the man experienced withdrawal symptoms that he reportedly said were much worse than the withdrawal he went through from alcohol.

After 35 days at the center, the patient reported a reduction in irritability and was no longer repeatedly moving his hand to his temple. However, doctors say he continued to "intermittently experience dreams as if looking through the device."
All those books and movies that were made decades ago about technology and robots wreaking havoc on, and forever disrupting, our lives...you guys do realize we're squarely into chapter 6 (or hour two) of all that, right?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-10-15, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Is anyone a bit confused as to how three people caught Ebola in hospitals in rich countries? This was supposed to be impossible.
Eric Duncan was treated in Dallas for two days before his Ebola confirmation came in.

And THEN they started wearing protective gear.

Yup, two days, no hazmat protocol.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-10-15, 21:56

Fox News (yes, them) actually has calm, level-headed coverage.

http://mashable.com/2014/10/15/fox-n...p-smith-ebola/

When Fox is sane and CNN is comparing Ebola to ISIS, something is horribly wrong.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2014-10-16, 07:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Eric Duncan was treated in Dallas for two days before his Ebola confirmation came in.

And THEN they started wearing protective gear.

Yup, two days, no hazmat protocol.
This. I feel awful for the nurses who are infected (though it sounds like the first one is doing well), but it makes sense that the people dealing with the blood and projectile vomit are the ones who ended up contracting it. On the other hand, the people living with Duncan while he was sick are still without symptoms (I think they have 3-4 days left before the incubation period is up). That makes me a lot less concerned about this nurse traveling with a low-grade fever, though it wasn't a smart move. Living in the Cleveland area, though, my facebook feed is exploding with how we're all doomed.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-10-17, 20:28

To Siri, With Love: How Apple’s Siri Became One Autistic Boy's B.F.F.

I suppose the future is here.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-10-17, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naderfan View Post
This. I feel awful for the nurses who are infected (though it sounds like the first one is doing well), but it makes sense that the people dealing with the blood and projectile vomit are the ones who ended up contracting it. On the other hand, the people living with Duncan while he was sick are still without symptoms (I think they have 3-4 days left before the incubation period is up). That makes me a lot less concerned about this nurse traveling with a low-grade fever, though it wasn't a smart move. Living in the Cleveland area, though, my facebook feed is exploding with how we're all doomed.
My brother teaches middle school in Alabama. He reports that he had a student walk in and say "Did you here it's in Memphis? It's on the march!" And my brother had to explain that, no, it "wasn't in Memphis" and that a couple of cases involving a guy from the African hot zone and two nurses that cared for him without protective gear hardly constituted "on the march." That, in fact, if anything the fact the number of people who have casually encountered infected people vs. the number of people getting sick suggests a relatively low risk of infection. That virulence, meaning how quickly the virus multiplies in the body, is different from infectiousness, which is how easily the virus is transmitted.

Honestly, I wonder if this isn't America's final descent into madness. There are an amazing number of people who are just losing their minds, egged on by a cynical, opportunistic press that could give a shit if they incite needless panic. Then you have people like Limbaugh, gravely informing us that "liberals" generally feel like whitey deserves whatever's coming to him because slavery and Obama/Obola is some kind of fucked up reparations plot, despite the fact that that makes zero fucking sense and imagining that the POTUS would scheme to bring death to Americans via disease means you're completely fucking out of your mind and actively attempting to sow madness among the general population. So panic and fear plus partisan hatred. Great. I mean..... through the looking glass, people. If the country doesn't wander into some kind of civil war which gives rise to an explicitly fascist strong man promising to "restore order" it won't be from lack of trying. You can only prod an increasingly ignorant, reactionary population so many times with the stick of fear before something breaks.

Oh, and Huntsville Hospital is setting up some kind of isolation bubble thing for people who have a cold and are deathly afraid they have the Ebola and want to get tested by people in moon suits. Despite there being no reason whatsoever to believe that anyone in Huntsville has been exposed. Because you gotta give the people what they want, every fear is valid and pandering in defense of lunacy is no vice.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated

Last edited by addabox : 2014-10-17 at 21:20.
¡Damned!

2014-10-19, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
You can only prod an increasingly ignorant, reactionary population so many times with the stick of fear before something breaks.
Man…. man oh man. x1M this. This line should've been in the Constitution.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-20, 17:27

I love this...Alex Ross recreates the cover of the old Marvel Star Wars comic adaptation (which I had when I was a little monkey...nothing in it was accurate or matched the movie!)

The article includes the old 70's version for comparison. I love how he fleshed out the various ships, especially in the lower right corner.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-10-20, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
My brother teaches middle school in Alabama. He reports that he had a student walk in and say "Did you here it's in Memphis? It's on the march!" And my brother had to explain that, no, it "wasn't in Memphis" and that a couple of cases involving a guy from the African hot zone and two nurses that cared for him without protective gear hardly constituted "on the march." That, in fact, if anything the fact the number of people who have casually encountered infected people vs. the number of people getting sick suggests a relatively low risk of infection. That virulence, meaning how quickly the virus multiplies in the body, is different from infectiousness, which is how easily the virus is transmitted.

Honestly, I wonder if this isn't America's final descent into madness. There are an amazing number of people who are just losing their minds, egged on by a cynical, opportunistic press that could give a shit if they incite needless panic. Then you have people like Limbaugh, gravely informing us that "liberals" generally feel like whitey deserves whatever's coming to him because slavery and Obama/Obola is some kind of fucked up reparations plot, despite the fact that that makes zero fucking sense and imagining that the POTUS would scheme to bring death to Americans via disease means you're completely fucking out of your mind and actively attempting to sow madness among the general population. So panic and fear plus partisan hatred. Great. I mean..... through the looking glass, people. If the country doesn't wander into some kind of civil war which gives rise to an explicitly fascist strong man promising to "restore order" it won't be from lack of trying. You can only prod an increasingly ignorant, reactionary population so many times with the stick of fear before something breaks.

Oh, and Huntsville Hospital is setting up some kind of isolation bubble thing for people who have a cold and are deathly afraid they have the Ebola and want to get tested by people in moon suits. Despite there being no reason whatsoever to believe that anyone in Huntsville has been exposed. Because you gotta give the people what they want, every fear is valid and pandering in defense of lunacy is no vice.
Great post.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-10-22, 20:29

This isn't news, I just thought it was funny.

https://twitter.com/JimGaffigan/stat...92747003191296
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-10-22, 23:02

My heart goes out to all of Canada. So fucking senseless.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-22, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
My heart goes out to all of Canada. So fucking senseless.
Mind giving some context for someone who doesn't watch the news or read the newspaper?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-10-22, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Mind giving some context for someone who doesn't watch the news or read the newspaper?
Shots fired and a soldier killed at a memorial and then in the parliament building in Ottawa.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29735163
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-22, 23:24

That is so sad. It's a shame people do this kind of act.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-10-23, 19:47

I was fairly close to where the incident occurred (but never personally in any danger at all). Those of us nearby were in lockdown most of the day. I salute those who helped keep us safe, and grieve for the soldier who died.

As for the origins of the incident, it is not clear that it was actually a terrorist attack, as opposed to arising from the isolated initiative of a mentally ill person who might have been indirectly inspired by terrorist ideology (i.e., ISIL or ISIS or whatever those idiots are calling themselves).

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2014-10-24, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
I salute those who helped keep us safe, and grieve for the soldier who died.
Well said. My heart is with Canada and her expats right now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-24, 10:02

Undeniable proof God exists: that Honey Boo-Boo show suddenly cancelled.

It is 2014, however, so chances are another network will be thrilled to employ some low-rent, semi-literate twat nozzles. Perhaps A&E, who already has experience in this area? Then they could corner the market on Southern-fried shame!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-24, 11:31

The only good thing to come of that show was that the mom, terrible as she was, put the money they got for the show aside for the kids to go to college later. Somehow she made one smart decision.

Well, maybe two good things. The one daughter had a baby and it has six fingers on one hand.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-24, 12:44

It absolutely blows my mind what kind of ridiculous, insane stuff is on TV these days, passing for "entertainment" and actually pulling an audience.

And sadly, most of it seems to be on networks that were once a refuge from the inane bullcrap usually found on the four main networks. At one time TLC, Discovery, A&E, Bravo and the Travel Channel (along with, to some degree, Food Network and HGTV) all aired informative, quality - yet entertaining - stuff. You learned something, you saw cool stuff or places you may not ever get to in real life, etc.

Forget that. Seems about 90% of the useless assholes on TV can now be found on one of the networks above.

Wasn't supposed to be this way.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-10-24, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Forget that. Seems about 90% of the useless assholes on TV can now be found on one of the networks above.

Wasn't supposed to be this way.
You mean you don't want to watch Bill Shatner remodel his house?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-24, 16:59

I don't wanna watch William Shatner do anything at this point, no (other than retire, giving up the professional punchline gig he's been working for nearly three decades now, and go away).
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2014-10-24, 17:57

Quote:
I don't wanna watch William Shatner do anything at this point, no (other than retire, giving up the professional punchline gig he's been working for nearly three decades now, and go away).
I teach U.S. History and when I get to the sixties, I talk about Star Trek and its use as a Cold War allegory (among other things). Anyway, I show a clip from one of those early 90s Star Trek specials hosted by Shatner. When I showed it last semester, one of my students yelled out, "Hey, is that the Priceline guy??!" That was all he knew Shatner as.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-24, 18:13

That and the TV show he had with James Spader and Candice Bergen(?) a few years ago...lawyers or something.

When I was a little boy, this would've been in the mid-70's, probably sometime between '75 and '77, I was watching something on TV one night and he came out and performed Elton John's "Rocket Man" while sitting on a stool, with a drink and smoking (it was some sort of awards show, if I remember). I remember my Mom and Dad laughing and I knew who he was because the 60's Star Trek was in syndication and I'd watch it on Saturdays.

Anyway, I knew who he was and even at the tender age of seven or so, I remember thinking "you're not even singing it...this is stupid" (he was just reciting it, all dramatically). Somehow that just stuck with me all these years, and I've just always kinda viewed him as a complete cheeseball.

To me, he's like Jerry Lewis or someone like that...I just find him grating and obnoxious, and any time I see him on something, I usually lunge for the remote. But, yeah...to many these days, he's the Priceline guy.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-10-24 at 18:23.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2014-10-24, 19:38

Quote:
That and the TV show he had with James Spader and Candice Bergen(?) a few years ago...lawyers or something.
Boston Legal, yeah.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-10-24, 20:11

Actually, I kind of like Shatner. He obviously has a good sense of humour if nothing else, and does not mind parodying himself relentlessly.

On another, related, subject, I love this video, although I doubt that it had Shatner's active participation in it in its revised form (but I like to think that he appreciated it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBVDh7my9Q

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-27, 13:17

Nothing like college football to bring out the craziness. These were based around the same game, so I can only assume that both LSU and Ole Miss fans are wound a little too tight.

Redneck princess throws a tantrum after her "teeeeam-uh" (Ole Miss) loses. Yikes...that's the kind of chick that cuts your wang off when you're sleeping if you accidentally pissed her off last week.

On the flip side, an LSU fan - celebrating his team's win over sweetpea above's team - has a heart attack and dies at the stadium.

It's a game, people. Dial it the hell back a little.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Everyone I know who follows this stuff is a complete, raging nutball this time of year. And living where I do - the tri-state region where Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama meet - I get a triple dose of it every single fall. Dealing with Tennessee Vol fans is lame enough (you think I like the color orange...), but then toss in your Alabama Crimson Tide and Georgia Bulldogs fans (as well as a sprinkling of Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech and Auburn fans who usually make their presence known, albeit on a smaller, quieter scale than the other big three), and autumn in the Chattanooga region is both hilarious and terrifying.

Every weekend - at a grocery store, a bar, or just driving down the road - I see some college football-triggered display of idiocy or a-holery by some over-amped fan(s). I love autumn in the South...and if it weren't for the football nuttiness, it would be perfect.

Is it like this where you guys live? The west coast, midwest or in the north? Or is it a Southern thing? Or is it due to the geographical situation described above (a metro area that expands into all three states)? The decade or so I spent in Southern California, I really don't recall this level of craziness. I was in Orange County and then northern San Diego County, so those probably aren't right in the thick of things like Los Angeles or other areas (although Chattanooga is nowhere close to Knoxville, Athens or Tuscaloosa, and that doesn't diminish any fandom or craziness).

I guess it's a geographical pride thing? I live right on the TN/GA line (literally a quarter-mile from the Georgia line), and it seems most people here in Tennessee are big Vols fans, but you can go just a half mile, into Georgia, and everyone has Georgia stickers or mini-flags on their cars. There are exceptions, of course (and I assume those people are looked at weird by their friends, family and co-workers...living in Tennessee and supporting Georgia or Alabama might be a capital offense, I don't know).

The funny/weird thing is, the people I know who are most rabid, vocal and active in their college football fandom have never set foot on a college campus, let alone attended the schools they so strongly support. I find myself thinking about some folks I know "your ignorant, redneck ass barely made it out of high school...how/why do you get so spun up above a school/organization/team that you ever zero firsthand connection to?" I've seen shoving matches and sportsbar fistfights between guys who probably couldn't even spell "Volunteer" or "Tuscaloosa" if you gave them 10 chances (and 30 minutes).

Again, I think it's just geography. You're a football fan first(?), and then based on your address (TN, GA or AL) that's who you throw in with (minus a few exceptions)? And then you just make it all-consuming and extremely personal (like the Mississippi Milk-Masher above).

Weird. I don't get that passionate and torn-up about anything. Even stuff that matters more than college football. I always feel like a man without a country/a duck without a pond every fall. Because if you run into someone you know, or if you meet someone in a bar and you're just chit-chatting, that's usually one of the first questions or topics that comes up. And so I've spent a lifetime saying variations on "I don't give two flaming damns about college football" (which makes me about as "neutral" and safe as one can get, I guess). It's funny...you'll actually get less grief/hassle by claiming "I don't really follow it..." than you would if you said the wrong team in front of the wrong crowd. It makes you merely a "weirdo", vs. "the enemy".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-10-27 at 13:51.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-27, 13:42

That's how it is back home in Philly. Seems like everyone and their mother is a Penn State fan. See and hear Penn State people all over proclaim how great their school is and they're better than everyone ever. Period.

The funny thing is, as you said, most of these idiots didn't even go to college, yet alone attend Penn State. It's highly annoying and is constantly being discussed. I used to see it all over Facebook when I was still on there.

The worst part is that when you say something about Penn State maybe not being the best place in the world, they just say, "You don't get it. You're not a Penn State person." Damn right, and I'm glad I'm not.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-27, 13:59

Exactly. Most of us don't condone and cover-up child molesting.

*ducks*

Oh man, I've seen the Facebook feeds/posts of some people around here (friends, friends of friends, etc.). It's like some of them just wake up ready/waiting to be mad at the other team (and/or anyone who supports them). People actually have falling-outs or periods where they just don't talk or hang out much over all this. It's crazy to me.

So, yeah...seeing the girl above react that way (and knowing that someone keeled over from a heart attack at a game), while crazy and beyond my grasp, isn't surprising in the least.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-10-27 at 14:53.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-27, 14:14

A few years ago, Boise State was undefeated and sitting at #3. Beat Nevada and we were in the "national championship". We could not be ignored. Effectively, win and we were in.

We lost.

I couldn't sleep for a week. My heart was crushed. My health was so bad I made a promise to myself to never put that much stock into it again. EVER! Since then, I have taken ten very long steps back from the sport and now see it for what it is: Stupid. A multi-billion dollar scam. At the peewee level, it's a bunch of pissed-off parents yelling at the refs. At the high school level it's a bunch of jocks strutting around as if they own the place and pissed-off parents yelling at the refs. At the college level, it's the NCAA raking in billions while pretending to graduate spoiled jocks with pissed-off parents yelling at the refs. At the pro level, it's millionaires chasing a ball around with pissed off parents yelling at the refs.

What do the fans get out of this? Bupkiss! Nothing. There aren't any Steelers Super Bowl trophies in my living room!

Then, not long after Ben Roethlisberger was accused (a second time) of rape, my teenage daughter asked me why I was supporting a rapist.

I haven't taken football seriously since. Now, I have more time for the kid, more time for the wife, more time for the garden, more time to build things with my hands.

Moral of the story: Life is better without football!

Edit: After further review, fans do get something: Debt! Mega bucks to get in; more mega bucks for the lame, wife-beater's jersey; mega, mega bucks for a beer and snacks; gas, parking, books, those little banger-things that only piss off the dude in front of you; and on and on and on and on and …

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-10-27, 14:43

Having lived in suburban Houston, I've seen the obsession. Families deeply tied to Baylor or Texas A&M or UT, each generation going to the same university. At least they have ties to those schools.

OTOH, I chose a D3 school whose football team has been famous exactly once: Miracle in Mississippi