AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)
Page 3 of 13 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-07, 22:59

I wonder how many people are like me, having upgraded from iPad 1->iPad 2->new iPad.
Wrao
Yarp

2012-03-07, 23:00

It's neat. Still don't think I'm going to get one. The iPad is shaping out really nicely though, it's hard to figure what Apple can hope to build on other than expected performance improvements. The groundwork(from end-to-end, software and hardware) is very refined as is.

I suppose it can always be thinner and lighter, the bezel could get a little smaller(sort of) and the likes, but the basic formula they have seems to not only be as close to perfect as I can personally envision, but also enduring.

As in, people mock the term "post-pc", but to me, whether or not the iPad is threatening the PC business is almost secondary to the simple fact that this form factor is here to stay.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-07, 23:30

It needs to be easier for people to build their own "apps" for it. I think iBooks Author is a step in that direction.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 01:04

Looking back at my own wish-list (from the other thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Here are some things that I would like though for the iPad 3:

- better antennas (the problem for me is not inadequately fast connections when I get reception, but inadequate reception in spots where other devices get a decent signal)

- better battery life (current battery life is very good - I would like it to be absolutely fabulous; I want insane battery life actually: 20 hours or more; I know I won't get that, but I can dream)

- faster battery charging (frankly, though current battery life is good, the charging time is pretty long; could they improve on that while still giving me more battery life?)

- lighter weight (shave off a few more ounces, if possible)

- ability to use it as a hotspot without a jailbreak (although that is not a hardware issue - it just requires a change in software and policy on Apple's side and on the part of ISPs)
Better antennas? I did not hear any mention of it. I believe that Apple bought out a third-party antenna developer last year, so I expected something. But maybe an improvement is just embedded within the new generation update, without any specific mention of it thought worthwhile by Apple.

Better battery life? From what I have seen suggested, battery life is the same or perhaps slightly worse. I was not really expecting an improvement on that front, but I was hoping.

Faster charging? No mention of it. I am not sure that this is even technologically possible right now. I don't fault Apple for that. Maybe someday.

Lighter weight? No. Slightly heavier, I believe.

Hotspot capability? Yes (carrier permitting). I assume that this is a software update, given that it was already possible with the iPad 2 with a jailbreak. I am hoping that the software update will now also allow this for the iPad 2 without a jailbreak.

So, overall, I am not sure that Apple did a lot to address my own wish list, although there is some uncertainty on a couple of points. I am not saying that this was not a worthwhile update. Apple has done a lot here. But for me the new Retina display, the faster processor and LTE do not address issues that I have with my current iPad 2, given the way I use it. I had not really planned to update my iPad 2 with this generation update - and now I know that I will not. I'll be interested in the next generation though.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-08, 03:39

iPhoto for iPad is a breakthrough. It's incredible and shows that this whole iPad thing is just getting started.

Amazing.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 04:30

Finally taking the dive with my first iPad. Ordered white 64GB.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-03-08, 08:40

Ah, got confirmation of my order. Now the waiting.....

edit: 3/16 for the delivery date.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-08, 08:44

Everyone still getting March 16 delivery times, or has it pushed back now?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-08, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Every still getting March 16 delivery times, or has it pushed back now?
Looks like it's still 3/16. What a total flop.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Looks like it's still 3/16. What a total flop.
What do you mean by that?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-08, 09:26

If there are no delays yet, it must mean it's not enough of a huge success story.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-08, 09:45

Total flop.

Wall Street said they'd sell 14 kazillion, and they've only sold 13.2 kazillion in 24 hours.

Nice going, Apple. Way to screw up a good thing...

Because if we've learned anything, it's the analysts, Wall Street and spec-whore tech pundits who set the course. And God knows they're never wrong in their opinions and predictions. This new iPad didn't have the touch feedback, satellite uplink, digital TV tuner and octa-core processing.

Screw Apple, if this is the best they can do.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-08, 10:07

Now now. Stop this tantrum immediately....................................... .And pick up those toys and put them back in your pram!
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 10:24

Shipping dates here in Japan have now changed to the 19th.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
If there are no delays yet, it must mean it's not enough of a huge success story.
I didn't see the sarcasm. Damn internet. But yeah, look at the effect the price drop on the iPad 2 could have on sales:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/03/...ce=yahoo_quote

Apple knows what they are doing until they prove they don't.

The other thing about the non-delays is that it's probably due mostly to the server being bumrushed. It's not that there isn't demand, it's that there's so much, that Apple literally can't even take all the orders yet.
Partial
Stallion

2012-03-08, 12:26

Why upgrade the back camera? Outside of taking the occasional picture of a white board or something, who uses it? I have used mine only casually. I'm certainly not busting out my iPad at a bar or a zoo or something to take photos. That's why I have my iPhone.

The front camera's resolution is now 9% of the total screen resolution. This means the image is going to be extremely pixelated and stretched. Why not upgrade the front camera instead of the back? Would make a heck of a lot more sense and get a lot more usage in my opinion.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-03-08, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Why upgrade the back camera? Outside of taking the occasional picture of a white board or something, who uses it? I have used mine only casually. I'm certainly not busting out my iPad at a bar or a zoo or something to take photos. That's why I have my iPhone.

The front camera's resolution is now 9% of the total screen resolution. This means the image is going to be extremely pixelated and stretched. Why not upgrade the front camera instead of the back? Would make a heck of a lot more sense and get a lot more usage in my opinion.
Well, I suppose it has something to do with the bandwidth available for Face Time. If 9% is all you can reliably send/receive, then theres no point in adding a bigger camera. The same goes for the iSight in my iMac.
Partial
Stallion

2012-03-08, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Well, I suppose it has something to do with the bandwidth available for Face Time. If 9% is all you can reliably send/receive, then theres no point in adding a bigger camera. The same goes for the iSight in my iMac.
They have a 720P camera on the MBPs, though. I'm not complaining as I have an iPad 2 and am going to hold off on upgrading, I simply don't understand the logic there. Doesn't really add up in my head.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-08, 13:11

I ended up going with the Verizon model (I don't think I mentioned that) and I probably would have either way but there was a typo on Apple's site when I ordered saying that both Verizon and AT&T were $30 for 2 gigs/month. Turns out AT&T is actually for 3 gigs at that price. Like I said, I probably would have gone with Verizon in either case, but that's quite a big difference in quotas.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2012-03-08, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
iPhoto for iPad is a breakthrough. It's incredible and shows that this whole iPad thing is just getting started.

Amazing.
Agree. It's got a couple of rough areas in the editing dept IMO and It feels like it's missing the iCloud link with iPhoto. Perhaps iPhoto '12 leverages iCloud in ways beyond merely linking to Photostream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post

Because the rear camera sucked and despite it's size the iPad is a suitable digital video capture device

omgwtfbbq
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-08, 13:17

While I don't think I'll ever just walk around with my iPad taking photos or video, I do think it would be remarkable to be able to have that screen as a viewfinder. In actuality, I can see myself just shooting video of my kids when they're being cute from the couch.

The 16th can't get here soon enough.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-08, 13:54

Shipment notification!

For my smart cover.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-08, 13:57

Placed my order for the 3rd Gen 16GB WIFI, which should be fine for what I need it for (watching movies at home, to show my portfolio to clients etc). Haven't ordered a case, I think I'll wait and see if I really need one or not before getting one.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-08, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
While I don't think I'll ever just walk around with my iPad taking photos or video, I do think it would be remarkable to be able to have that screen as a viewfinder. In actuality, I can see myself just shooting video of my kids when they're being cute from the couch.

The 16th can't get here soon enough.
You should snap some general pics/video now, while you still have your first-gen, then shoot/film the same thing with you new one...and post them for us to marvel at.

BTW, did they change the Smart Covers at all? Or does everything work just fine across the two models? I never really heard a clear, definite answer on that. Are the Smart Covers being sold at Apple's site (and currently in places like Best Buy and Target) meant to work with the new iPad?

What color did you get (iPad and cover)?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-08, 14:07

Quote:
You should snap some general pics/video now, while you still have your first-gen, then shoot/film the same thing with you new one...and post them for us to marvel at.

BTW, did they change the Smart Covers at all? Or does everything work just fine across the two models? I never really heard a clear, definite answer on that. Are the Smart Covers being sold at Apple's site (and currently in places like Best Buy and Target) meant to work with the new iPad?

What color did you get (iPad and cover)?
First gen iPad doesn't have a camera.

As far as I can tell, they didn't change anything with the smart covers. I don't know if the colors have changed or anything since I consciously avoided pretty much anything iPad 2. I have no willpower once I fall in the thrall of a new gadget.

I got a white iPad and tan leather cover. I'm not sure about the cover choice but I thought it would look super professional and classy. That way my clients don't see that I haven't shaved in 4 days and my shirt is wrinkled and covered in toddler snot.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-08, 14:17

Hahahahahaha...how in the HELL did I not know/catch that? Man, that's pretty bad...

"Yeah, take some pictures and video from a thing that doesn't even have a camera...go ahead, do it!"

Jeez. What's wrong with me?

White and tan makes a nice combo...like vanilla ice cream in a cone.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-08, 14:22

Big miss there, one of the "big" features of the iPad 2 was the cameras.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 14:27

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-08, 14:40

Quote:
...like vanilla ice cream in a cone.

Everything with Scates goes back to ice cream

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira