AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Shared external drive not available...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Shared external drive not available...
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-11-03, 12:23

Not sure about this one...

I have a Mac (running Leopard) with several external drives attached to it. I've just set up Sharing in the Leopard prefs to share all the drives (via File Sharing as "folders"). When I connect to the Leopard-running Mac from a Tiger-running MBP, I can connect to the Mac HD and the shared external drives --- except for one. It is set up identically to the others --- shared and with Read & Write access, but this one drive just doesn't show up in the list on the MBP. I've checked the drive (works fine to all appearances), I've deleted the entry in Sharing and then reentered it (nada). Not quite sure what else to try. Any ideas?
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-11-06, 07:58

Update - not that I expect this will lead to any responses...

Not only does the drive not show up on my Tiger-running MBP, it doesn't show up on a Leopard-running Mac, either. Since 8 (!) other drives are available to connect to and this one doesn't in either Tiger or Leopard, I have to assume it has something to do with the drive itself. It's an external (i.e., not an internal drive that I put an enclosure on, but a drive already enclosed) from Seagate. Is it possible they did something with the enclosure hardwiring (hardware/firmware) to prevent network sharing of the drive?
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-11-06, 08:41

Just curious about a few things...

Have you tried making this the only shared drive? What format is used on this drive? What size is the drive, and have you tried copying the data off, reformatting the drive, and sharing it again?
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-11-06, 11:33

Taskiss - I confess that I didn't even think of the formatting -- it's FAT32, as I used to use it on both Mac and PC. All the other drives are Mac OS Extended (Journaled). That's probably the problem -- but since OS X can deal with FAT32 when directly attached to a machine, why can't it network with it in the same way (or can it, and I've just got an issue all my own)?

Good call - thanks, I bet that's it.

I could reformat the drive - but it's 750 GB, so I am not excited by the prospect.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-11-06, 12:03

You could try sharing it using SMB instead of AFP and see if it works, but that might lead to other issues...