AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Anyone have Verizon FiOS?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone have Verizon FiOS?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-12-13, 18:30

I'm getting it installed monday, and "the guy" my dad talked to told him the set up for FiOS is different for Macs than it is for PCs. I don't understand what kind of setup they've got going on. I know they have to run the fiber line up to my house from the street, but i'm more curious about what goes on inside. Is it just modem that it hooks into like Verizon DSL? And then out puts an ethernet cord i can split with a router?

Or is it something completely different?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-12-13, 18:51

This any help, old bean?
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-12-13, 18:53

Not really, it isn't specific about anything.

What software do they install? It just sounds like a FiOS "Modem"/Router that is also wireless...so why would it need special software?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-13, 18:59

Well, according to their site:

Quote:
Wireless adapters are not supported for Macintosh
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-12-13, 19:12

Right, but all my Macs have internal wireless cards -- no need for an adaptor.

I've read the site, i was asking for first hand observations...

Do you have FiOS?
rasmits
rams it

2006-12-13, 19:23

Sometimes Comcast and Verizon do stupid things like that.

I imagine they'd like to install a "FiOS optimized" version of Internet Explorer. Tell them to shove it.

PS: Lucky you! I wish I had FiOS...

You had me at asl
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-13, 19:23

Nope, just trying to lend a hand.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-12-13, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Sometimes Comcast and Verizon do stupid things like that.

I imagine they'd like to install a "FiOS optimized" version of Internet Explorer. Tell them to shove it.
rofl...exactly what i was thinking it might be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dobbs View Post
Nope, just trying to lend a hand.
Thanks Rob
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-14, 01:36

That's what I love about living in an area where there are lots of Mac users...the installers actually learn the Mac install process over time through osmosis.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-12-14, 10:11

Where is this place that you speak of? Heaven?
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2006-12-15, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
That's what I love about living in an area where there are lots of Mac users...the installers actually learn the Mac install process over time through osmosis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Where is this place that you speak of? Heaven?
Well, it's not New Zealand. let me put it this way- no fucking way is it New Zealand. Possibly somewhere like Cali?
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-12-15, 04:37

i think the wonderful scenery in new zealand more than makes up for the lack of mac users
dfiler
Veteran Member

2006-12-15, 10:13

I've had Verizon FiOS for a few months now. Setup is no different on a PC then on a Mac.

In fact, I'm using a normal dlink router (dgl-4300) to connect to Verizon via dhcp. My Macs then get their LAN addresses from the dlink router.

Fiber from the street connects to the ONT (optical network terminal) in my basement. There is a cat 5e cable running from that to my router.

Verizon will supply a router but you can swap it out for another version in most areas. Their router was massive and power hungry so I swapped in my own. Plus, I wanted gigabit switching on the LAN. Keep in mind though, not all areas support dhcp on FiOS. You may still have to use PPOE and possibly a PPOE that requires you to use their router/modem.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-15, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
I've had Verizon FiOS for a few months now. Setup is no different on a PC then on a Mac.
It's different in such a way that the average installer who knows where Control Panel --> Network Connections --> <Whatever NIC> --> Properties --> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) might not be able to apply that to a Mac and similarly dive through Apple Menu --> System Preferences... --> Network and so on.

It was even worse a few years ago when OS 9.x was still prevalent. Hardly any broadband ISPs had official support for Mac OS X or 9 at the time, so the people weren't trained at all.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-12-15, 10:25

Quote:

In fact, I'm using a normal dlink router (dgl-4300) to connect to Verizon via dhcp. My Macs then get their LAN addresses from the dlink router.

Fiber from the street connects to the ONT (optical network terminal) in my basement. There is a cat 5e cable running from that to my router.

Verizon will supply a router but you can swap it out for another version in most areas. Their router was massive and power hungry so I swapped in my own. Plus, I wanted gigabit switching on the LAN. Keep in mind though, not all areas support dhcp on FiOS. You may still have to use PPOE and possibly a PPOE that requires you to use their router/modem.

Right, PPPoE was the only thing i could think of when i saw that router/modem thing they provide. Hopefully it's not, that thing is ugly, and i'd rather use something capable of WPA2 encryption.
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2006-12-17, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby View Post
i think the wonderful scenery in new zealand more than makes up for the lack of mac users
Yeah, the scenery is wonderful, beautiful, lovely and such. Especially in places in the South Island, and ther's a few really nice spots in the North Island.

Rolling hills, rivers, mountains, sea views, lakes, etc. All of it lovely. Most of it perfect for a desktop background.

But, that's all off-topic. All of what I just said. Very bad.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-12-17, 19:44

double post....

Didnt see there was 2 different threads till too late

Last edited by Schnauzer : 2006-12-17 at 19:46. Reason: crap
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2006-12-18, 04:15

I have had Verizon FiOS (5Mbps down, 2Mbps up) for over a year now. It is mighty fast, esp. with torrents (up to 600KB/s).

The Verizon guy came and installed the ONT (as stated in previous post) and an ethernet cable went directly from that to the D-link wireless router (DI-524) that I have been using for a year or two before I upgraded to FiOS (you can use any router available, don't fall for their requirement to purchase the wireless router that they offer). At first, it worked right away when I plugged the cable into the WAN port (my router's wireless access point had already been set up with my Mac and other PCs). After a few months, it stopped working. I called Verizon and they walked me through setting up the router to connect through PPPoE with "newdsluser" as the user name (I think the password was left blank but I forgot). It's been fine ever since.

Connecting with a Mac has nothing to do with the FiOS itself but has everything to do with the router's wireless access point. If you can connect wirelessly to your router right now, you can do it with the FiOS installed. The FiOS is merely how your router connects to the internet.

I'm sure you'll love the FiOS. I kind of want to upgrade to the 30Mbps FiOS but it's $179/month and would only be used for bragging rights. There is nothing I do that can take advantage of 30Mbps.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-12-18, 07:00

Haha

I think my dad purchased the 20 mbps one, we'll have to see.
srizvi1

2007-09-19, 09:21

I just got FIOS installed yesterday, but as I posted over in the How fast are you thread?, I'm not really happy with I'm getting with the wireless connection.

With FIOS, i'm supposed to have 15mb/sec down and 2mb/sec up. The speed seems to be good wired, but not wireless.

I'm coming from Comcast where my setup was comcast cable -> motorola modem -> Linksys WRT54GL on the main floor -> bridged Linksys SRX MIMO router downstairs (to give coverage in the basement).

I'm wondering if just the supplied FIOS router/modem thing is crappy so I was thinking of just turning off the wifi on the router and using my Linksys WRT54GL router again. But these two posts got me a little interested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelmerguy View Post
I have had Verizon FiOS (5Mbps down, 2Mbps up) for over a year now. It is mighty fast, esp. with torrents (up to 600KB/s).

The Verizon guy came and installed the ONT (as stated in previous post) and an ethernet cable went directly from that to the D-link wireless router (DI-524) that I have been using for a year or two before I upgraded to FiOS (you can use any router available, don't fall for their requirement to purchase the wireless router that they offer). At first, it worked right away when I plugged the cable into the WAN port (my router's wireless access point had already been set up with my Mac and other PCs). After a few months, it stopped working. I called Verizon and they walked me through setting up the router to connect through PPPoE with "newdsluser" as the user name (I think the password was left blank but I forgot). It's been fine ever since.

Connecting with a Mac has nothing to do with the FiOS itself but has everything to do with the router's wireless access point. If you can connect wirelessly to your router right now, you can do it with the FiOS installed. The FiOS is merely how your router connects to the internet.

I'm sure you'll love the FiOS. I kind of want to upgrade to the 30Mbps FiOS but it's $179/month and would only be used for bragging rights. There is nothing I do that can take advantage of 30Mbps.
Quote:

Would there be a significant advantage in going the route described above of taking a CAT 5 cable straight from the ONT that Verizon installed outside to the room in the house where the main router would be? My house was built new in 2005 so my phone lines are all CAT 5 cables that go from the rooms straight outside the house. I could just use that.

Right now, I have FIOS running up to the bedroom where the FIOS router is via the COAX (RG6 I believe). But since I have CAT5 cable running into the same room from the outside as well, I could use that.

15" 2.16ghz MacBook Pro C2D w/ 3GB RAM
1.42ghz Mac Mini G4 w/ 1GB RAM
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-09-19, 09:27

There is no difference in performance between coax or twisted pair in this application.

There are only two real performance improvement you could make. Connect your LAN computers into a gigabit switch (or router). This would speed file transfers between wired computers in your home. You could also use your own wifi node/router. This could improve your wifi speed ... or not.

If you've got 802.11n equiped computers attached via wifi, getting n equiped wifi would be your biggest bang for the buck.
srizvi1

2007-09-19, 09:43

Thanks for the response dfiler.

Ok, so if there's no difference in performance, then there's no reason to change anything. I'll leave the setup as it is.

How come people did this in this thread though? Was it to get out of paying for Verizon's Modem/Router? I don't think they charged me anything - at least I hope they didn't (they never mentioned any charge to me in terms of purchasing or renting the unit). But that's the only reason to really do this right?

I like your LAN suggestion dfiler, but the new home of the router is upstairs so some computers upstairs nearby can and will be connected via LAN - but most won't. I really do need a good, strong wifi signal throughout the house so I'll install the Linksys 54WRTGL again and use that signal instead of the FIOS Modem/Router's wireless signal.

But this thread did get me thinking...

I had mentioned earlier that in my old set up with Comcast, the modem was on the main floor and that plugged into the Linksys 54WRTGL router right next to it. In that same room, had made a hole in the wall and ran cat 5 wires downstairs from this router into our unfinished storage room to the bridged Linksys SRX MIMO router. This helped me power the downstairs too.

Now, with the new FIOS modem/router making its home upstairs at the top, bedroom level, running cat 5 cables from there to the bridged router in the basement is out because I would have two go down 2 levels. So I thought I would have to give up coverage in the basement.

But I'm wondering now, is it possible to take 2 lines out of the ONT that FIOS installed outside? Some people take a CAT 5 from the ONT, but most take a COAX from the ONT right? If I could do both, then I could leave FIOS running upstairs as it is via the COAX. But for downstairs in the basement, I could use the CAT 5 cable that's coming into the phone jack instead into my SRX MIMO router. Since this is an active phone line, the other end of this CAT 5 cable is going into the Verizon-phone-line box thing outside. So, (via getting a tech to come back out of course), I could just move that cable out of there and into the FIOS ONT.

Right?

dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-09-19, 13:52

Keep in mind that unless you need FIOS tv, you can swap out their router for any ole router. (assuming your local FIOS provider supports dhcp instead of ppoe).

Also important to note is that not everyone is issued the same hardware. I actually wish I'd got the older pair of boxes rather than the all-in-one actiontec unit. The name eludes me but there is a device that basically splits fios tv from fios internet (not the ONT). The new hardware verizon is using in most areas is an all-in-one. Meaning, you can still get fios TV while using your own LAN router/switch, but only sitting inline after the all-in-one device. Not that it matters really. I'd just rather have fewer devices between me and the internet especially when they burn energy as fast as the actiontec device does.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-09-19, 14:17

Oops, my bad. Looks like you can use both coax and category wiring simultaneously. Here's a thread that gets into the nitty gritty:

http://text.broadbandreports.com/for...all-Impossible
srizvi1

2007-09-19, 15:32

Quote:
Oops, my bad. Looks like you can use both coax and category wiring simultaneously. Here's a thread that gets into the nitty gritty:

Thanks dfiler. I just posted in that thread. Let's see if people there can think my idea can work. If they can, i'll call the verizon tech guy who did my install (he left me his number for if I had any questions).

JohnnyTheA

2007-09-19, 23:57

Did any of you folks with FiOS have your old copper lines taken out?

http://www.freepress.net/news/24473

Hopefully they have gotten nicer due to the all the complaining...

JTA
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2007-09-20, 01:40

JohnnyTheA: The copper lines are all still here for voice (we're not using VOIP, just Verizon's service run through FiOS).

srizvi1: If your existing Cat5 wiring is "one big web" in which each terminal is connected to all the other terminals, could you connect the Actiontec upstairs into an upstairs terminal and the Linksys in the basement into a basement terminal and have them be connected to each other through the Cat5 "web"?

As far as the ONT > Actiontec confusion, let me try clear it up as nicely as possible:

The Givens:
ONT to Verizon via FiOS
Actiontec to PCs/Macs via ethernet or wireless
Actiontec to STBs/DVRs via coaxial

The Options (may not really be an option depending on the Verizon tech agent):
ONT to Actiontec via ethernet
OR
ONT to Actiontec via coaxial
NOT both at the same time

Realize that existing coaxial wiring will be made into one big web (using a splitter) that connects all of the following, no matter what (given you subscribe to FiOS TV): ONT, Actiontec, STBs/DVRs

Data (internet) communicates from Verizon FiOS on a certain wavelength (WL 1) to the ONT to the Actiontec through the chosen option (ethernet or coaxial).

Regular TV will feed directly from Verizon FiOS on a different wavelength (WL 2) to the ONT to the STBs/DVRs via the coaxial web (does not pass through the Actiontec). The purpose of including the Actiontec in the coaxial web is for program guide information and for Video On-Demand. When the guide updates or you request a VOD program, the STBs/DVRs contact the Actiontec (through coaxial) which then contacts the ONT (through the chosen option) which requests the information from Verizon FiOS through the data wavelength (WL 1). I believe that guide info goes back that same way in reverse whereas VOD is streamed directly to the STBs/DVRs through WL 2.

With non-VOIP voice plans, the existing copper wiring "web" will be connected directly to the ONT which connects to Verizon FiOS on a third wavelength (WL 3).

Under the "ONT to Actiontec via ethernet" option, the Actiontec never communicates to the ONT through the coaxial web even though they are techinically connected. Under the "ONT to Actiontec via coaxial" option, the Actiontec communicates to the ONT via coaxial, not ethernet, which in most cases is not even existing (speaking of the connection from the ONT to the Actiontec; PCs/Macs will still be connected via ethernet [or wireless]).

The benefits of the "ONT to Actiontec via ethernet" option: you can use a router of choice that would be connected directly to the ONT (so that no internet data passes through the reportedly inferior Actiontec) and the Actiontec would be connected to that router in bridged mode.*

The benefits of the "ONT to Actiontec via coaxial" option: you can relocate the Actiontec to any location where there is a coaxial terminal (provided that the terminal is part of the coaxial web). It is probably easier for a Verizon tech agent to implement this option because many houses have existing coaxial networking that just needs to be made into a web with the simple use of a splitter, whereas the ethernet option requires the Verizon tech agent to wire ethernet cable from the ONT to wherever the customer chooses for the location of the Actiontec.

There is no noticeable speed gain to be had by choosing either option:

"In extensive and independent field trials, MoCA demonstrated more than 110Mbps of throughput in more than 97 percent of outlets tested and more than 80Mbps in 98 percent without any filtering or remediation."
http://www.mocalliance.org/en/aboutus/faq.asp#14

With non-VOIP voice plans, the existing copper wiring "web" will be connected directly to the ONT which connects to Verizon.

*In such a case, the ONT would not actually be connected to the Actiontec directly, but with the chosen router in between. Searchable resources online are available that assist in setting up the chosen router and the Actiontec for this purpose. In cases where a Motorola NIM-100 is used, this is how it would be setup.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-09-20, 05:58

A couple corrections...
(great write-up though)

FIOS phone service isn't VOIP. It is based upon DA and AD conversion at each end. Meaning, you can ever run an old analog modem on it.

It is possible to have both twisted pair and coax output from the ONT simultaneously. This allows the Actiontec to be behind your own router, functioning solely as as NIM
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2007-09-20, 16:39

Quote:
A couple corrections...
(great write-up though)

FIOS phone service isn't VOIP. It is based upon DA and AD conversion at each end. Meaning, you can ever run an old analog modem on it.

It is possible to have both twisted pair and coax output from the ONT simultaneously. This allows the Actiontec to be behind your own router, functioning solely as as NIM
Oh yeah, I never claimed FiOS phone service is VOIP. I said it was NOT VOIP but that it was still run through the FiOS through a third and separate wavelength. The old copper lines are connected somehow to the ONT and converted from the analog normal phone signals to the digital optical singnals and sent to Verizon.

However, I disagree with your second statement. It is my understanding that ONT can only be programmed to send data to a router (Actiontec or not) through either ethernet OR coaxial (not both). Of course, coaxial will still be run directly to the STBs/DVRs to pass info that was on the video wavelength.

If you want the Actiontec to function solely as a NIM, you would have to run an ethernet cable from the ONT to a router of your choice; then another ethernet cable run from a LAN port on that router to the WAN port on the Actiontec (or was it LAN port? I forgot, but it's searchable). In this way, the Actiontec would be running in Bridged mode, functioning solely as an NIM to pass info to and from the STBs/DVRs. I believe that is how the old Motorola NIM-100 systems are set up (before the Actiontecs came out).

Remember, the function of the Actiontec (or any NIM) is to get the STB/DVR requests onto the data wavelength (versus the regular video wavelength) and data can only be sent from the ONT via either ethernet OR coaxial, not both.

I hope that wasn't too convoluted. What do you think? Again, this is what I have come to understand. If you have heard otherwise, I'd like to be informed!
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-09-20, 16:57

Perhaps you missed this...
Quote:

A NIM (like the actiontec all-in-one device) always needs coax to the ONT. But it doesn't have to be used as a router. It can be placed on the LAN behind your choice of router, which in turn is connected to the ONT by twisted pair.

Last edited by dfiler : 2007-09-20 at 17:07.