User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Verizon DSL vs My Powerbook. Round 1 Ding!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Verizon DSL vs My Powerbook. Round 1 Ding!
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-13, 18:07

Okay, I am setting up Verizon DSL as a backup internet service just in case comcast decides to die again for 3 months. So Modem plugged in and all. Go to setup my account. Then it says I don't have admin rights and I can't go any further. I am like...... WTF? My account is admin and in fact is the only account on my Powerbook. So Verizon and my Powerbook are fighting. Please help.

giggity
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-13, 18:22

Quote:
Go to setup my account
what exactly did you do, in what program - can you be specific?
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-13, 18:23

The CD Verizon sent me. I click the icon and it says the powerbook doesn't have admin rights.
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-10-13, 18:23

Try it under root?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-13, 18:26

most DSL is plug & play - just plug in the phone line and your ethernet to the DSL modem, launch your browser, and you should either be online, or see a config screen

otherwise, you'll need to call verizon tech support, or look for some documentation
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-13, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBG4
Try it under root?
noooooo - if their software is broken, you sure as hell don't want to go running it with root priv
WBG4

2005-10-13, 18:30

Is it an app or does it run through a web browser? If it's through a browser i bet it has to be ie
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-13, 18:34

How did you plug in the modem, via Ethernet or USB?

You should preferably use Ethernet as it won't require drivers. USB will require you to use drivers for the modem. Check with the modem's manufacturer or tell me what modem manufacturer and model you have and I can look for drivers. But like I said, it's better to use Ethernet.

Once you're done with that, how does the ISP connect? Does it use PPPoE, or PPTP?
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-13, 18:39

Quote:
Is it an app or does it run through a web browser? If it's through a browser i bet it has to be ie
It is an app.

Quote:
How did you plug in the modem, via Ethernet or USB?

You should preferably use Ethernet as it won't require drivers. USB will require you to use drivers for the modem. Check with the modem's manufacturer or tell me what modem manufacturer and model you have and I can look for drivers. But like I said, it's better to use Ethernet.

Once you're done with that, how does the ISP connect? Does it use PPPoE, or PPTP?
Ethernet. It is a Westel 6100.
WBG4

2005-10-13, 18:42

Is there an os 9 version? Try running that (yea i know it's a scary thought but if it works what the hess)
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-13, 18:43

Quote:
Is there an os 9 version? Try running that (yea i know it's a scary thought but if it works what the hess)
No. It won't let me install the app due to the supposed " no admin" access. It is for 10.1 and up only.

EDIT: Supposedly, it isn't just my Powerbook. It does the same thing with the iMac.

giggity
WBG4

2005-10-13, 18:45

What happens if you just open the damn browser while hooked right to the modem via e-net? I googled and didn't come up with anything
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-13, 18:46

Quote:
What happens if you just open the damn browser while hooked right to the modem via e-net? I googled and didn't come up with anything
Nothing. Plain old nothing.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-13, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Ethernet.
Ah, okay. You shouldn't need a driver. All you need to do is to go to System Preferences -> Network, select the appropriate connection, then go to the PPPoE tab and fill it out. Internet Connection will give you a connection log if you encounter problems.

Quote:
It is a Westel 6100.
I presume you mean Westell?
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-13, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Ah, okay. You shouldn't need a driver. All you need to do is to go to System Preferences -> Network, select the appropriate connection, then go to the PPPoE tab and fill it out. Internet Connection will give you a connection log if you encounter problems.

I presume you mean Westell?

Remember I don't have the account setup because of this problem. And yes Westell.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-10-13, 18:56

I stay away from ISP cd's. Usually it is just a re-branded web browser or some .exe file. It is easy enough just to manually type the stuff in with OS X. (as long as you know where the info is and goes.)

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
WBG4

2005-10-13, 18:57

Quote:
Nothing. Plain old nothing.
In the system prefs refresh it and see if it gets an ip
chucker

2005-10-13, 19:41

Quote:
Remember I don't have the account setup
Nonono, your provider should be able to provide you with the setup regardless of software problems.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-13, 20:02

don't use PPPoE, that's usually done in the DSL modem these days. You should use DHCP in your Network preferences. Set it up that way and restart the modem, and then the Mac.

try pointing your browser to launchmodem.com and see if it works. Otherwise, go to Network preferences and note the IP address for Router. Then try that IP address in your browser.
EDIT: it's usually 192.168.1.1
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-13, 20:04

one of the above should get you into the modem setup screen. The modem setup should require your user name and password (which you should have gotten from Verizon, maybe on some kind of customer printout that was in the box) in order to access the PPPoE server.