User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

making alias for itunes library

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
making alias for itunes library
milky

2008-02-09, 19:46

i have just retrieved a whole load of music files from my old external hard drive.
They are now located on my new external drive, its about 100gb of stuff.
Previously i made an alias of the files on macbook and linked them to the drive.
i am trying to do this again by making an alias, i can make the folders with the alias but when i try to add these folders to itunes it begins to copy the files onto my computer and uses up all my free space.
How can I get info into library without the file being transferred to my macbook?
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-02-09, 20:12

IIUYC, you want to put an alias in the ~/Music/ that points to your iTunes folder on the external hard drive. You also want to change the location of your iTunes Music folder using iTunes:Preferences:Advanced:General such that it correctly points to the iTunes folder on the external hard drive. I've included a couple picture, if that makes things easier.

<aside>I don't know how to resize the images, hence the ugliness... </aside>

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
chinesebear

2008-02-10, 19:57

It sounds like you are making an alias folder, then trying to move music into that folder. Instead of that, make an alias of the music folder on your external drive (right click on folder, select 'make alias'), then, making sure the name is iTunes, move it into the Music folder of your home directory.
milky

2008-02-17, 14:13

thanks for the advice guys but none of this worked, as from what i understand this is copying files from pc to external hard drive.
The issue is I had all my music files on an external drive, the drive broke, I recovered files but itunes library information was lost.

so, I have the files all located on a new external hard drive, how do I get i tunes to recognise this folder full of files as a library of music without having to copy the files in small batches onto pc, into itunes then back out again onto external drive.

anyone got any ideas?